The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Computer Science At Lancaster

Hi

Any on else thinking of doing computer science at lancaster in sept 2008?

Also any one currently doing computer science at lancaster , whats it like/good course ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi

Ive looked at nottigham trent and teeside - im probably going to put lancs as firm and nottingham as insurance.

You looked anywhere else?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
You doing computer science aswell or one of the other compsci courses?
Reply 3
Same , you decided on any colleges?
Reply 4
Was lookin at Lonsdale for 1st as well , You doin A-levels or college course?
Reply 5
Btec natational?

I shud get the grades with a bit more work.
Reply 6
Same , Your offer MMD?

Have you done the section on creating a network with diagrams ,etc?
Reply 7
Think so , its for Merits and D's , Have you used any routers or swtiches?
Yo guys, I am a current student at Lancaster (2nd Year) and am in the Computer Science G401 Course.

Basically we get to learn stuff in quite a few subject areas- first year was java, networking (making websites, javascript), some assembly language and software engineering.

Luckily first year they do not make the subject too difficult, bearing in mind that some people do the subject as a minor.

However, work load picks up in 2nd year and you lose your sleeping patterns quite often at end of terms (hence why I am here now taking a break from an assignment due in tomorrow!)

Anything you want to know specifically?
Reply 9
How many hours a week are timetabled?
Lecturers boring or do they make the subjects interesting?
Is the course more practical or theory?

Thanks
Reply 10
Good questions would be helpful to me as well ,

Also are classes spread across campus?
Original post by nikul
How many hours a week are timetabled?
Lecturers boring or do they make the subjects interesting?
Is the course more practical or theory?

Thanks

TBH, we do have a lo more timetabled hours per week than most other subjects, but that can be seen both as a positive and a negative- more value for money, but a bit more work. I have had between 17-23 hours timetabled hours per week this year, whereas I have seen other subjects with around 8 hours. Also expect to spend a lot of you own time outside of the tables working as well!

Have to say on the lecturers, it is quite dependant on what subject and who's teaching. We have some of the professor's teaching sometimes, whereas other times it is research students.
Some lecturers like Joe Finney and John Mariani are awesome, Joe is just really into what he does and has enthusiasm and John is just funny and sarcastic. Some other lectures on the other hand have been amazingly dull though or just plain uninteresting, but that's granted for any subject really.

The course is a big mixture of practical and theory. It's also dependent on your modules really. In first year though, the Java module is heavily practical and the networking has quite a bit of programming too (as well as 10 lectures on each).
This year I have a module programming small chips in assembly and C which leans mainly towards the practical. Just expect to spend a lot of time in the labs (or in your room), that's what I say! On the other hand, last year for Software engineering, it was mainly focused on the theory.

To be honest, Lancaster is mostly a research institution, so Lecturer's are more focused on that than the students. However, I wouldn't says that this detriments too much on the course because this means that they can bring some of their experience into the lectures and practicals. Most lecturers are free if you need help with them explaining things or what have you, you just need to email them really.

On graduates, I have heard that many are getting into decent sized Software Engineering companies or development groups. Saying that, I don't have definite answers on what anyone does, I don't take too much notice tbh (more a here and now person :biggrin:)

You don't really spend much time in infoLab21 at all. I am only really up there to meet my project tutor and for a tutorial every now and then, or to hand in work. You will mostly be in lecture theaters such as Faraday or in the engineering building computer labs.

On internships, the department are always sending out lots of internship and job opportunities to emails all the time. We also sometimes have businesses come and give a lecture and then hand out applications and such if you want one. It is mainly up to you to organize them though.

Group work is really dependent on the module. Some modules will be purely individual work, whereas stuff like Software engineering has you in groups, with others such as java being mainly individual but also a group or paired assignment every now and then.

In first year, it is doesn't take too much extra work to get a good grade really, as they are trying to accommodate people that have not done programming before into the course.
From my experience though, 2nd year is much harder- you really have to be prepared to motivate yourself for this and sometimes even pull an all-nighter or two. However, this is only occasionally but all I am saying is that this is not a light subject, specially at the end of term when assignments are due in though. To my point earlier though, you really are getting your moneys worth because of this and feel as though you really are earning a good degree for this!

Original post by nikul

Good questions would be helpful to me as well ,

Also are classes spread across campus?
Thanks

They are spread a bit across campus, but the bulk of them are either in Faraday lecture theathres (next to Bowland Main and just off Alexandra Square) or in the engineering building for all your practical subjects. In 2nd year though we do have quite a few lectures in George Fox.

Whew, took longer than expected but I hope these answers some of your questions about the course (and hopefully doesn't scare you away!). Overall, I say that is a subject that takes a lot of work and effort, but is worth it overall.

Don't hesitate to ask any more questions!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Wow, good answers.
I was going to say something (I'm a thind yr CompSci student), but i think it's all just been covered!
Heard a few gripes last year about the way tutorial sessions were organized, as they were just mixed groups and not organized by ability, hence my friend was complaining that people were still asking for help using basic statements half way into the course, leaving some of the more adept student sitting round. Luckily I didn't have that problem though as I am on a different branch :biggrin:

Also everyone moans (including me) about how they tend to pile on assignments and essays on you at the end first and second term. In the past 3 weeks I have had around 4/5 big assignments to do, all due in for the week just passed or the next week.
Saying that, I think it is quite similar for other subjects as well, you just got to deal with it and work through it. The feeling afterwards though is just immense relief, tis awesome!
Reply 14
Deadlines always pile up at the end of a term, but if you spread the work out over the term you're ok. If you leave it all till it's due in, it gets a bit overwhelming somethimes.
Reply 15
What kind of assignments do you get set?
How many do you get each term?
Do you get any software from the university to do things like programmin on your own pc?
Assignments are wide and varied really.

In first year, we had to program part of a simulation of the solar system e.g. create planets and their orbit which would be displayed on a graphical display. Have also made games such as a tile swapper and a basic version of chess.

In networking have created a chat application in C as well as a DNS server (C is a bitch though!)

Have also programmed a clock in assembly and a rotating light display much like this but a lot more basic in assembly, which was hand spun.

You get a few each term, mainly building up each week and culminating in a small project at the end for most modules, though some are set over the course of a few weeks if they are more difficult.

The university provide you with some sources to get software but you are mainly left upto your own devices really. You can join the MSDN alliance for free software here as well.
If you do come here, I would advise downloading Java for your computer. There will also be a few other things to install for 2nd and 3rd year, but they can all be found easily and most are free too, if not in labs.
Reply 17
Just thought i'd mention (not sure if you already know or not) that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year computer labs are 24hr access, so you can go in there whenever you like. (and spend all night in there if necessary the night before a deadline!)
Reply 18
Do they have pc's that dont run windows? e.g macs?
They don't have any in our labs at the moment, I'm not sure if there are any availbale elsewhere though.

Still, many students have macs or use Unix etc and they don't find it too hard with compatibility and all that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending