The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Swayum
7) Another quite nice one, which I haven't ever tried though, is the "Yeah, I e-mailed you it, I promise. You can even check the time stamp when you open it" (alternatively, you can bring a USB stick in). When they check their e-mail, they'll be surprised to actually see an e-mail from you but, when they open the attachment, the file will somehow be corrupted. A good thing about this is that next lesson, your teacher will be like "Your file was corrupted" and so you can be like "Oh, that's weird, I'll print it off tonight and give it to you then" which stalls it for another lesson. So you get 2 lessons to stall the homework.

An improvement on this particular technique which I have used many times and has proven to be utterly infallible is to e-mail a different essay (with a generic title like 'English essay') in Microsoft Works format. The odds are that your teacher will have only Microsoft Word and absolutely no idea how to open a Works file, so, as observed by Swayum "you get 2 lessons to stall the homework." :p:

If they are bright enough to download a converter or have not updated from Microsoft Home, then they will open the essay to find the wrong one, and in the lesson you can always say something along the lines of "O God I'm such a moron, I attached last week's essay instead" : a bit of self-damnation should induce them to forget about it with a condescending groan, but secretly you're laughing on the inside... :biggrin:
Reply 61
Mm. Last week, or maybe 2 weeks ago, I told my tutor I ran out of paper as my excuse for not having done half the sheet, which was the truth! He was less that pleased...
Reply 62
the ones that work best for me are

1) i slept at my grandads last night and i forgot to bring it with me and i came straight from theirs to college so ill bring it next lesson
2) i was visiting my dads house and he doesnt have a computer
3) i have done most of it but im struggling with X, could you just explain it to me? this way they explain it to you and you go ok ill add that in now and bring it next lesson
4) if the teacher is colecting it up, get all your friends or tables homework in a pile and hand it in in a group lot of work, then next lesson when they say wheres your work, you can say i handed it in with everyone else
5) as i used yesterday: there is no printers working in college so i couldnt do it.
6) just say your going through a hard time at the moment. they wont dig into it and you can get let off more than 1 piece!
I managed to get away with not handing in an English essay in sixth form for absolute weeks due to the sheer quality of my amateur dramatic performances every time the teacher asked about it: "oh my god I cant believe I forgot it again!! I am so so sorry" "Noo I've left the folder at home!" etc etc

Eventually she mentioned it to my parents on parents evening and I gave another little speech along the lines of completely having forgotten about it and that i'll print it out and give it to her tomorrow. Think I fooled her, or she couldn't call me a liar in front of my mum and dad anyway, who knew full well I was lying. Had to write the damn thing that night!

Another variant on the wingdings theme is write about 10 lines of an essay, then colour each one a progressively lighter shade of black/grey...looks reasonably convincing as a 'printer error'

I miss the days when you could get away with stuff like this...cant pull that at uni, its a 5 mark deduction for every day its late :-(
id say about 80% of people use printer related excuses.
What I usually do is type up the first few lines of an essay on the computer then press print. As your work is printing you drag it out of the printer so that all the ink has smudged. Ten you can tell your teacher that your printer is on the blink and you have the evidence to prove it! It has worked everytime for me.
"I left my folder on the bus" Then you can use it for the next couple of lessons saying that you are trying to contact them / should get it back soon.
"My computer broke" Which mine regulaly actually does.
"My home was about to sink so I had to help sort it out" Only works because I live on a boat that does try and sink.
"My dog ate it" Not mentioning the fact that it was in a plastic bag which also contained dog biscuits. Bring in evidence.
"Sorry the computers at college don't have an up-to-date enough version of Office and I was going to print it off at school because we don't have a printer/its broken"
"I don't think I was in when it was set"
Reply 67
All of the ones I've used at college:
1. I brought the wrong USB stick
2. My computer printer has run out of ink
3. It didn't save. Why didn't it save?! Why??!!
4. I brought the wrong book, and it's in the one I left at home.
5. I have too much coursework to do.
6. But...but... you said it was due next week! (usually backed up by the rest of the class :p:)

And the best one:

7. I forgot.

This one works a charm for me, my teachers don't tend to mind.

EDIT: Oh, and 8. I emailed it to you, did it not go through? I've been having problems with my email. Let me try again later.

(later) Did it still not go through? Oh. Well, I should be getting some ink over the weekend so I'll print it out then and bring it in on monday. (frantically does work over the weekend)
Reply 68
Most of the time I just didn't hand it in, and make sure to bring it for the next lesson. Then you make the teacher think that you forgot to hand it in, rather than just didnt' do it. It doesn't always work however.
Reply 69
ukebert
Most of the time I just didn't hand it in, and make sure to bring it for the next lesson. Then you make the teacher think that you forgot to hand it in, rather than just didnt' do it. It doesn't always work however.

My teachers always make the grave mistake of asking 'How far have you got?' as opposed to 'Haveyou done the work?' In this case, we just say, 'I'm nearly finished, I just have to write the conclusion/print it off etc or use one of the excuses I wrote up there ^) :biggrin:
being partially deaf really worked in my favour for homework at school Although the loss was mininal i could always get away with eithier:

"i didn't hear u say i had hwk"

or

"i had a really bad earache last nite!"
Reply 71
asy you have got and done it. look in your bag and through your stuff and m ake it so that the teachers sees u looking then say something liek ahh ****t or bugger then the rest will be ok

say " there was a fire in my house last night and i didnt get a chance to do it"#

"pc broke" and say something liek youre getting a guy ion to fix it
AmySian
I also used to bring 'work' in on floppy discs to print out in the lesson knowing full well that none of the computers in the school have floppy disc drives!

I used this excuse once..."sorry Miss I tried to see if the floppy disk (with my homework on) was floppy...it wasn't."

It didn't work :frown:
FOOLPROOF

'I am so sorry, but i forgot it, i'll bring it in to you FIRST thing tommorrow'

it has never failed, and i've tested it many times.
Reply 74
Theres the one i used only today, that i e-mailed the homework to my school account to print off at school (as my printer wasn;t working), but (silly silly me) i forgot to attach it.

It worked (apart from teacher now thinking i'm a complete naana)
"Did you get a blank piece of paper? That was mine written in invisble ink"

"It's....behind you!"
The question was easy, it would be like torturing the great brain of mine.

You won't understand the answer, so why bother?
I can't remember vividly any occasions when I had to make up an excuse, but a few times I had forgotten to attach the work to my e-mail (I used to e-mail my essays to myself and print them at college) so I just said I'd bring it in the next day - which I did.

Although, now that I think about it, there was one time when I had totally forgot to do one piece of work, and I believe I used the above excuse which worked. I was always well-behaved at school/college so could get away with it, really...
This should be an Olympic sport.

TSR could enter it's own team!
Hedda.Gabler
something related to a technical difficulty like 'my usb stick only has the first draft on it' or ' can i print it off after the lesson and give it to you later ' ahem... works for me anyway!

Those two are my main foolproof excuses. The teachers probably come to realise that I'm lying but they still let me print off later or give me the benefit of the doubt lmao.

Latest

Trending

Trending