The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

AS's

yes another one of those threads.

by the time i apply through UCAS i will only have 3 AS's ( math chem and physics ) i am doing a 4th AS ( computing ) however i will sit this exam in october/november ( CIE ).The only reason i am taking later is because my school does not offer any other AS subjects apart from Biology ( Which i despise )and am taking computing privately and have started taking it around a month ago. So will Cambridge look at this negatively??

appreciate all the help i can get.
Reply 1
its hard to say you'd better get in touch with the admission tutors, also depends on the grdes, i guess, if you adapt well and have focused then i should see no reason why it is not accepted, however these redbrick universities often have other ideas,
russream
these redbrick universities often have other ideas,

Cambridge is not a redbrick, though.
Reply 3
maybe not, well i think the general idea is still valid, i heard the term redbrick and though it applied to those major - old - and famous ones , rather than met's and polytechniks
Reply 4
russream
maybe not, well i think the general idea is still valid, i heard the term redbrick and though it applied to those major - old - and famous ones , rather than met's and polytechniks

No, it applies to universities built in the victorian era (hence 'red brick', as this was the building material of choice esp in industrialised areas). Includes Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham etc - so if you meant well-established, then yes.

Cambridge, Oxford, St Andrews etc are referred to as 'Ancient Universities'.

If you want a term roughly equating to the American 'Ivy League' meaning well established and right up there, then 'the Russell group universities' is the nearest thing we have, including Oxbridge and most of the red bricks.

However, the Russell group is expanding so much that the term is rapidly losing credibility.
Reply 5
Bumblebee3
No, it applies to universities built in the victorian era (hence 'red brick', as this was the building material of choice esp in industrialised areas). Includes Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham etc - so if you meant well-established, then yes.

Cambridge, Oxford, St Andrews etc are referred to as 'Ancient Universities'.

If you want a term roughly equating to the American 'Ivy League' meaning well established and right up there, then 'the Russell group universities' is the nearest thing we have, including Oxbridge and most of the red bricks.

However, the Russell group is expanding so much that the term is rapidly losing credibility.

There's the "Golden Triangle" too, which consists of Impreial, LSE, UCL, KCL, Oxford and Cambridge.
Reply 6
well i just got my January module grades ad i got 100/100 in c1 math and 89/90 in chemistry chem1 and 81/90 in phy1 physics
I wouldn't worry about it. Just explain why you're only doing three this year when you get your supplemenary questionaire. I was in a similar position becuase i wanted to do further maths, but could only do in in year 13, and had given up on art as a waste of time. We also hadn't eyt done three maths modules, so i actually only had 2 ASs when i applied - as long as you have a reason that makes sense, it shouldn't matter...
I think i said something along the lines of, yes, i know i could have done a 4th AS this year, but i don't see the point in doing another subject that i have no interesting, i'd rather spend my time being productive in other ways, i will do four next year, promise... :rolleyes: Or something...

Latest

Trending

Trending