The Student Room Group

Revision

Basically, ****ed up in January. Left a course, it's given me a kick up the bum and I am now determined to better my targets in my other 3 AS subjects.

I'm planning on starting revising in the holidays. I have quite clearly never revised properly in my life. I have crammed before, like hell for my GSCEs. But at A-Level, the technique and depth of knowledge required means that cramming doesn't work.

However, I now know this and I'm wanting to get on top of things. I'm just wondering, because I am starting so early, how much should I do per day? I could fit at least an hour in now, and the weeks closer to my exam- I don't expect a social life anyway.

I have a German speaking exam in early May, a Listening/Reading/Writing one on May 22nd and I have 3 Politics and 3 History exams on 5th and 6th June (Just not sure which date is for which...)

So basically, I just need someone to give me a bit of an idea of how much is enough and how much is also realistic. I don't want to peak to early, but considering I need to learn 3 months of work again, starting around 3 months before the exam does make sense. My emphasis is going to be on exam technique/writing discipline anyway.

Thanks in advance,

IWBA.
Reply 1
dont put too much pressure on yourself this early

i would recommend doing about an hour a day for now
and if you have time a little extra, then when it gets to april step it up to a little more and keep going like that

i must admit ive already started my revision.... *Geek*

btw its good youve realised nwo you need to work

i only realised this january
meansing i have 6 resits to do in summer from as exams i did bad on
I'm actually under less pressure now, surprisingly.

I have another free period, so I seem to be getting my homework and essays and what not done to a higher standard and what's more important is- Actually done! I shall do an hour a night, and just rotate per subject/unit.

The subjects I am doing are ones I have a really passion for, thus I don't mind doing the work, I wish I didn't have to wait until March to start enjoying college myself, but still!

You do right though, in a perfect world- I would revise/read over my notes from the day every night, however it isn't really something I will ever do...

Ouch. It's far too expensive to not work hard! If the Languages department weren't paying for my German, I would have had to pay £40 for all 3, £27 is still more than enough though!
Reply 3
im forking out 75 this week for re-sits =[

really havnt got a choice though

got ccc last year( and an X cos i missed exams due to illness)

most modules were D's
then this an i worked hards and got really high B'S

realised i could do it so im not resitting

and working my ass off
Reply 4
well I've no experience of revising for humanities or languages... but, if you really wanna ensure you don't screw up this time round... do around 2 hours a day outside of timetabled time, you can even do an hour in the morning if you can wake up at around 6.30.. !

Once you start revising, the process gets much quicker and you'll cover a lot more in those 2 hours than you will have done before.. + in May/June you'll have to do next to no revision to get a good mark.

Although, personally I think 2 hours a day.. from March is a bit too much for AS... but if you think you'll have to 'cram' in May/June.. then might as well take the route which guarantees your A grade. 1 hour seems fine also.
Thanks Creative, I think I'll start with around an hour or two in these holidays, maybe 3, I have nothing better to do, other than homework which is going to be basically revision anyway, and then once we are back at college, it's going to be April anyway, so I may perhaps have a week or two with only 1 hour a night and then come mid-April, really kick start it as I have German speaking early may, then it'll be no time until the Listening/Reading/Writing exam and once again for History and Politics.

Latest