The Student Room Group

Remarks

Okay, so I got my result breakdown for my January geography exam today. [Edexcel B, A2]
I've been predicted an A/B all along, and I got an A for the coursework and an E for the exam [overall a low C]. I did more revision than anyone I know because I was so set on getting a good grade. My boyfriend got a B in the exam, when he was predicted an E [he does no revision].. and firstly its one of those things that just isnt fair, and Im obviously kind of dissapointed, but I'm retaking.
I told my teacher how I structured it and the stuff I included and he said that sounded good.
What I'm asking is, is getting a remark worth it?! It was an essay exam, so I guess it would be seen differently by different examiners.
My mum knows someone that went from a U to an A on remark, and was wondering how often this happens.
What are your experiences on remarking?
I would be so embarresed if it went down even more!
Sorry for the length of this just for a little question lol. Thanks for reading!
xx
Reply 1
I know people who's marks have gone both ways with remarks, quite a few have ended up getting worse. And there are some who's haven't changed at all. Personally I've never had anything remarked, so I don't really know what I'd do in your situation, sorry
Reply 2

i think u should ask for a remark you would have to pay but that wont matter much coz i mean its worth as you have been predicted a high mark and about the embarresment of getting lower you havent't really got a lot to lose coz u Already got an E.
You've definitely got nothing to lose by getting it remarked. I agree with whoever said to get a photocopy of your paper first - then your teacher can give it a once over and tell you whether you deserved more.
Reply 4
I need some advice too. I got a B in my English paper this Jan (3 marks off an A). My teacher said it's rare for the mark to go down, and I'm thinking even if it does it won't be by much. To me I don't mind if I still get a B because I'll just work extra hard for the summer to try my best for getting an A. And I know someone who got a remark last year and their mark went up by 8 UMS! So I'm guessing it might as well be worth trying to clinch that A. I don't know if my essays were amazing enough, but I thought it'd be worth a shot? I'm confused... I don't want to gamble either. It's all a bit of a mess.
Reply 5
cdeu12 im in the same predicament with my history paper (two marks off an a) my logic is that i may as well get a remark as it can only go up a grade- i dont think my essay will lose 14marks at least i hope it wont :smile:
Reply 6
For the two above, I wouldnt bother getting a remark if your that close to the grade all you need to do is get 2/3 marks over an A in the next exam and it should cancel it out. A high B basically is an A.
I'm talking about the difference between an E and an A lol, so I'm gunna go for a remark.
xx
Reply 7
Hi, like others have said you can't lose getting a remark becasue it is an E, you might have to appreciate that you messed up the exam as the marking in my Geography class has been fine for that module. Furthermore the exam part is only worth 7% overall so it might not be worth the hassle.
In my college we have also done the Synoptic paper which was slighly more controverisla in terms of marking because one of my friends whos been getting A's got an unexecpted C in it, but shes decided to accep the grade given as she doesn't need much UMS points to get an A in teh final exam.
If i was in your shoes i would ask for the remark but don't get your hopes up and don't get too down about it whatver the outcome because like i say it's not worth a large percentage of the overall grade!
Reply 8
I believe if you apply for a photocopy you can't get a remark and vice-versa (or so we were told) :smile:.
Reply 9
determind_1
Hi, like others have said you can't lose getting a remark becasue it is an E, you might have to appreciate that you messed up the exam as the marking in my Geography class has been fine for that module. Furthermore the exam part is only worth 7% overall so it might not be worth the hassle.

Yeah, maybe I did mess it up, and fair enough if I did.. but only two people in the class got above a D, so it just seems like maybe we had a really harsh marker. Either that or our teacher just taught the wrong stuff!
Anyway, we'll see.. I'm not getting my hopes up as I'm not really expecting it to change. But its worth a shot.
xx
If you are desperate, Photocopy the exam - sots a tenner or so...
Get your teacher to mark it and see hwat grade he gives you - always lower the grade by a step i.e. if he gives B then take it as C.

If you go up considerably then get it remarked - It will be free if it goes up a grade.
Reply 11
i dont know what to do with mine

Latest