The Student Room Group

Warning: Your gap year could make you unemployable..

I took a gap year after leaving University and enjoyed every second of it. For 14 months I worked as an English teacher in China and then, briefly, at an orphanage in Cambodia.

After returning home I looked to work within the public sector and, in the process, applied for a number of police staff and home office positions. As I have gradually found my gap year EXCLUDES me from applying.

I was out of the country for just over 12 months and, according to the police and the home office (and I suspect other security related government departments), this means I do not meet their basic residency requirements.

For the example, the police ask that you have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to your application. To work as an immigration officer you must have been in the UK for at least 5 years.

So, despite all my good deeds, wealth of experience and transferable skills that, in the case of many of these positions, would make be an even better candidate, they won’t touch me. Ha, these guys talk about “life experiences” but when it comes down to it, they only want life experiences that fit neatly into boxes and forms.

These are just some examples… seriously though, if you have any interest in working within this type of sector avoid leaving the country… hell, if possible, avoid even thinking about leaving the country.

I am currently looking for positions within local government and, thankfully, such residency nonsense does not apply. However, as you may tell from this post, I am still a little pi**ed off at the fact I am being penalised for daring to leave the country.
Reply 1
Have they actually denied you? Because legally, so long as your abode is in the UK (so if you live with your parents, they are in the UK and you were staying in temporary accommodation in Chin/Cambodia) then you are deemed to be in residence. Despite you being abroad for a period of time, you are still resident in the uk.
Socmyoligy
I took a gap year after leaving University and enjoyed every second of it. For 14 months I worked as an English teacher in China and then, briefly, at an orphanage in Cambodia.

After returning home I looked to work within the public sector and, in the process, applied for a number of police staff and home office positions. As I have gradually found my gap year EXCLUDES me from applying.

I was out of the country for just over 12 months and, according to the police and the home office (and I suspect other security related government departments), this means I do not meet their basic residency requirements.

For the example, the police ask that you have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to your application. To work as an immigration officer you must have been in the UK for at least 5 years.

So, despite all my good deeds, wealth of experience and transferable skills that, in the case of many of these positions, would make be an even better candidate, they won’t touch me. Ha, these guys talk about “life experiences” but when it comes down to it, they only want life experiences that fit neatly into boxes and forms.

These are just some examples… seriously though, if you have any interest in working within this type of sector avoid leaving the country… hell, if possible, avoid even thinking about leaving the country.

I am currently looking for positions within local government and, thankfully, such residency nonsense does not apply. However, as you may tell from this post, I am still a little pi**ed off at the fact I am being penalised for daring to leave the country.

lie? Say you were only out of the country for 11 months...
Socmyoligy

Are you not a UK citizen then?

That's something that worries me if you are. I want to work in the public sector (I've graduated at the moment and work in local government - I'm planning on staying for another 2 and a half years as they're paying for a part time masters for me, but after that I intend to travel at the ripe old age of 24).

Perhaps as a broader question, is there anybody on here who has taken a gap year and found trouble getting employment because of it? I'm sure there are plety of employers who'd consider it a waste of time etc...
Reply 4
They ask that question from an immigration point of view, surely you can say you were on a gap year and were out of the country for a year travelling, but didn't have citizenship anywhere else, and you're permanent home was still in the UK...
Reply 5
Its all true. I know someone who had a TEFL qualification for teaching English. He went to China and Indonesia for over a year teaching needy kids mostly. He then decided he wanted to teach "properly" and did his teacher training in the UK. He finally applied for a job with the British Forces to teach in a forces school in Germany or Cyprus. Passed the interviews etc and was just about to be offered a job when it was "discovered" that he'd been out of the country for over a year and was now actually a security risk! Now hes stuck in a dpressing inner-city teaching job instead of the sun of Cyprus.

Absolutely ridiculous. The question above of "Are you not a UK citizen?" - of course he is - but it doesnt mean a thing. And these government departments will not budge on it. Its totally not up for discussion. Crazy I know.

On the subject of gap years - my advice would be yes, take a gap year.... But dont come back! :smile: There are better places to live :smile:
Reply 6
The OP is right, being out of the country affects your residency esp with regards to security clearance
Reply 7
Glad to see im not the only one that experienced this!

Latest