The Student Room Group

International Student Needs Help With Choices!

Hey Fellow TSRers!

Thanks for reading my thread. Here's the deal: I'm from the states, for the most part, but I've lived all over the world and at the moment I'm living in Thailand. I've got dual nationality (British and American - my mom's a Brit), but I haven't spent a huge amount of time in the UK. I've gotten four offers, and I would really appreciate some help from you guys regarding my response, as I'm not going to have a chance to visit any of the universities. All of my offers are to study Psychology.

Here are the offers I've gotten:

UCL - Conditional (5/5 on English Language and Psychology APs)
Royal Holloway - Unconditional
Bristol - Conditional (4/5 on English Language and Psychology APs)
St. Andrews - Unconditional

I'm fairly sure UCL is going to be firm, but it is my toughest offer so I want to choose my insurance wisely. Any and all opinions are welcomed and appreciated! Thanks guys! :smile:

-Nadia
Reply 1
well i'd defo choose one of the unconditional offers as your insurance, that way youre guaranteed a place whatever happens. i know st andrews is supposed to be an excellent uni:smile:
Reply 2
hanfromman
well i'd defo choose one of the unconditional offers as your insurance, that way youre guaranteed a place whatever happens. i know st andrews is supposed to be an excellent uni:smile:

Hmm..it's really tough, because St. Andrews' degree is an extra year, but apparently it's much more prestigious than Royal Holloway. And Bristol is supposed to be great for psych, as well, but it's less safe than the alternatives. Argh.
Reply 3
i'm assuming the extra year comes with a placement? if so take it. work experience in the subject is really hard to come by and any that you get will go a long way in your education and in your future career. good luck.
Reply 4
La Trampa
i'm assuming the extra year comes with a placement? if so take it. work experience in the subject is really hard to come by and any that you get will go a long way in your education and in your future career. good luck.

Bah. Thing is, it's not a placement year. It's just that Scottish unis, for some reason, have an extra year attached to the same degree. I think it works a bit more like American unis than English ones. I'm not sure it's worth an extra year.
Reply 5
oh right...i personally would take it though...more time to learn everything,means they go really slow with you or they teach you more,neither of which are bad things.goodluck with it though.

Latest