The Student Room Group
Reply 1
At my sixth form they only allowed critical thinking at AS level.. and even that really did nothing for any of us.
Yusuf2007
At my sixth form they only allowed critical thinking at AS level.. and even that really did nothing for any of us.

What is the relevance of this?

OP: people generally comment that critical thinking is useful for admissions tests. Apparently my philosophy admissions test was similar to critical thinking (I never took critical thinking, so I wouldn't know). I'm not sure about the TSA, but I'm pretty sure there are sample papers online, so you can judge for yourself.
Reply 3
The second module on arguments is very useful for the BMAT and the Cambridge Admission test.

Shame i did it After i did my BMAT....
About 5% of the course is useful for the TSA, and the other 95% is total waste-of-time bull****.
Reply 5
From what I've seen of TSA papers, half are maths type questions, the other questions are almost identical to what you might get in a critical thinking paper. When I had my interview at corpus, I was met with a suprise test, of which about a third of the questions were critical thinking ones, and I think this is common for quite a lot of courses.
However, quite a few people could tackle these questions without having undergone the boredom of doing critical thinking AS level; doing online practice papers. etc would be just as good preparation.
Reply 6
Critical thinking only exists at AS level.

The part of critical thinking about identifying arguments and conclusions and flaws is useful, but everything else is a waste of time with regards to the TSA. And I'd say that most people who have done the practice one online work out what the conclusion/flaw etc. is anyway with a bit of common sense.
Reply 7
Thanks to everyone for the constructive feedbacks :smile:
Reply 8
I think that critical thinking would help with the TSA, but not with a huge amount of it, just the bit, as has been said above, that regards arguments. It is by no means necessary however, you should be able to do it without training. I did.
Reply 9
LibbyO
Critical thinking only exists at AS level.

No it doesn't; I sat the A2 last summer. And it was one of the three A levels I need to get an A in to meet my Cambridge offer :smile:
Reply 10
maisie123
No it doesn't; I sat the A2 last summer. And it was one of the three A levels I need to get an A in to meet my Cambridge offer :smile:

Interesting. For which course ?
I did the CIE AS Thinking Skills Examination before going over to do the TSA didn't help me much I can tell. Plus in the exam I sat we had 2 hours for the paper whereas the TSA is only hour and a half for I think the same amount of questions.
It's a rubbish A-Level and a complete waste of time imo, but the multiple choice section of the exam (!) might help you with TSA. Maybe just dig out some Critical Thinking past papers from the internet and have a go at them.
Reply 13
The exam was a bit useless, but I found flicking throught the books, and having things that you instinctively do broken down for you quite useful.

Latest

Trending

Trending