The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pie.
Reply 2
I always say something about being a perfectionist, but then I also go on to say that with intervention I could turn this into one of my strengths..

Hope that helps :p: .
Perfectionist - can be classified as a weakness because it can get OTT, but it's a good thing because it means you'll get the job done to your highest ability
Reply 4
Be honest. Tell them something you're really not good at, but then back it up with an explanation of how you intend to improve in that area.
Reply 5
dont say perfection.. unless you can pull it off. It sounds really cheesy and cliche otherwise.

I said I was a bit too passionate when i argued and turned that into my strength.

Got me a place :smile:
Reply 6
I make it specific to the job in question and answer honestly whilst trying to end with a positive spin on it.
Erm, say a skill of yours that needs improving, but definitely say how you are currently trying to improve it, or better still, explain a weakness that up until recently you had, but have since solved and tell them how you did it. That's what I'd do :smile:
Reply 8
Saying that your weakness is that you are a perfectionist is a total cliché and generally comes accross as such.

It will also remind them of Spud from Trainspotting if they have seen that film.
Do not say perfectionist, EVERYONE says that.
Reply 10
Cuz it works. :biggrin:.

Obviously if you have something else to say, which most people do, then go ahead and say that.
i'd probably come out with some rubbish about being soft with people and always seeing the best which doesnt always work to my advantage because usually they are as bad as they seem.
Creative
Cuz it works.

It wouldn't work with a good interviewer. When people spin me that rubbish I (a) make note of the attempt and (b) ask them to name other weaknesses. You don't get anywhere with effluent from male bovine animals.
Reply 13
In that case.. my interviewers were inexperienced. :biggrin:.. fortunately I'm full of flaws... so I could go on for ages.. patience, over-procrastinating... I think as long as you mention things which are somewhat convincing , and can be improved upon then it's not a bad answer to the question.
Reply 14
Good bloke
It wouldn't work with a good interviewer. When people spin me that rubbish I (a) make note of the attempt and (b) ask them to name other weaknesses. You don't get anywhere with effluent from male bovine animals.

What if that really is their weakness? you arse wipe.
Reply 15
icklebrov

So your only weakness is that you like to be perfect, you're one bloody amazing person. I'd say your weakness is a bad temper and not being able to have a reasoned argument
Reply 16
Ive got a book called brilliant interview

This is what it says;

humour- (chocolate chic ice-cream)
Something personal -(ironing)
Something from long ago which you can turn back to a strength - (5 years ago i woulda said doing paperwork, but now i set aside half an hour at the beginning of the day for it. now i reckon i am more ahead of my colleuges.
Something your interviewer will see as a strength - (Im dreadful at stopping in the middle of something, i don't stop untill I have finished what I have set out to do)

You hsould not actually comment on any actual weaknesses, but avoid coming across as too arogant and too perfect, which realy gets up thier noses.

Its worth buying the book, its got all the interview questions, the preperation, whole lot.
Reply 17
I've heard some people (tutors and employers alike) say that the typical 'being a perfectionist' answer is overused and shows that you really don't have much of an imagination.

It doesn't matter if you state any (reasonable) weakness; just try and say what you're doing to overcome it.
icklebrov

Perfectionists typically take far too long to complete tasks and have difficulty in meeting deadlines and understanding priorities. This can be ignored in some situations, but is generally not a good attribute to have. This would be taken acccount of in the recruitment decision.

I have negged you for your needless and offensive abuse.
Reply 19
A tip to anyone going for an interview: do not say being a perfectionist. I'm sure I don't have to explain why. The interviewers hate that comment, it just means that you've got problems with communicating problems, or as I have posted above, how to show problems as a positive thing. There are tons of articles on the net, along with the book I have reccommended, that will help you have a decent interview. For example, if your asked, "what do you enjoy about your current job?" if you answer simply "everything" it will bring on questions like "why do you want to change jobs then?". If you can't think of a good enough reason for that, your pretty screwed, since they ll know your BSing (unless you really do enjoy everything about your job, then you should be ok). A good response would be, "I am lucky, theres nothing I don't enjoy about my job. The main thing would be is that I enjoy dealing directly with customers, which is infact why I am applying to this post. Where I can continue being satisfied in my work, whilst having the opportunity to grow and prosper within the company." Thats just an example, you could do tons with it.

Latest

Trending

Trending