The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Very true, theirs been people with no grades atall become very successfull
Reply 41
I totally agree with the "perfect grades" one.

piece_by_piece
Make a plan. As soon as you decide which question to do, start planning the things you could write. Once i've done this, i number the things i've written, to get an idea of how i'm doing to structure my essay. Make sure you write good topic sentences to every paragraph, which include the key words from the essay title. Also, analyse key quote in great detail, and try to be original! (Our teacher says this is what will give you your A*)
Good luck xx

Thank you for the help! :biggrin:
So if you only come up with a few points but went into a lot of details for some of the main points, with originality, you can be sure to get the A*? If yes, cool. :biggrin:
Reply 42
yg110uk

So if you only come up with a few points but went into a lot of details for some of the main points, with originality, you can be sure to get the A*? If yes, cool. :biggrin:

Yeap, that's what we've been advised to do! Although, while it is mainly quality not quantity, do ensure that you write a sufficient amount. My teacher advises us to write around 3 sides for any English Lit question (LOTF or poetry).
Reply 43
piece_by_piece
Yeap, that's what we've been advised to do! Although, while it is mainly quality not quantity, do ensure that you write a sufficient amount. My teacher advises us to write around 3 sides for any English Lit question (LOTF or poetry).

Thanks! And just curious, what about the writing? Would two sides be enough? :biggrin: Or three as well?
Reply 44
yg110uk
Thanks! And just curious, what about the writing? Would two sides be enough? :biggrin: Or three as well?

For the writing i think 1 to 2 sides would be fine :smile:
Reply 45
piece_by_piece
For the writing i think 1 to 2 sides would be fine :smile:

Oh wow! I'm saved!XD Thanks!:smile:

And I just found out today that my art exam is like...2-3 weeks away. And all I have at the moment is an A3 drawing(of a leafless tree[literally!]), and artists' research. oops.:p:
*gets hit on the head and starts to work*
Reply 46
gawd, forget this "how many pages" thing- craft it well, put the quality in and as long as it's not less than 100 words they can still give you full marks.
ffs jus lost the will to work now completely but im going to continue ploughing on
Reply 48
My art exam starting Wednesday...
Then Thursday, and then continueing after easter holidays.
:-/

Its getting closer... less then 2 months until first proper exam paper.. Scary..
Reply 49
hsn
ffs jus lost the will to work now completely but im going to continue ploughing on

whyy??
Reply 50
what you working on hsn?
english essays
Reply 52
english is a lovely subject! :smile:
.... it is 'my subject.. but its crap
Reply 54
I think we're all getting a bit down because GCSEs are getting closer. Or maybe that's just me :s-smilie:
Reply 55
way to bring us back on topic. :biggrin:
I had a timed english lit. essay in class today on some stories which I haven't yet read...ooops.
piece_by_piece
I think we're all getting a bit down because GCSEs are getting closer. Or maybe that's just me :s-smilie:

we dont all share the optimism you have ..
Reply 57
Im probably gonna CBA it. Ill start at half term. Maybe start maths physics a bit earlier.
Reply 58
hsn
we dont all share the optimism you have ..

sorry for trying to lighten the mood!
Reply 59
piece_by_piece
sorry for trying to lighten the mood!

it worked on me!

but tbh, english exams are the only ones I am "hating", I am not actually worried about the other ones,(okay, may be dreading the length but other than that, not much else). :biggrin:
I can never motivate myself to like english no matter how hard I try.... :frown:

Latest