The Student Room Group

extra curricular

next year i have to do an extra course at college, just one lesson a week.
i was wondering what would be better?
something sciency like?
AS science for public understanding, or something like that
Externded project qualification, which i oculd probably do in somrhting vetty

or something completely different
like art award/ certificate in potography
AS in world development, something of the like EDIT: the ones listed are my choices, theres nothing else i could do instead

and how much extra curricular have people done and did the unis consider it to be enough? (i know some people have already said stuff about this in other threads, but thought it would be good to get everyones view)
Reply 1
I have two part time jobs
Go to karate
Play flute grade 6
Musical theory grade 5
Young leader @ guides
BHS horse owners certificate
Prefect twice
(Babysitting?!?)
Swimming / Surfing
Gold D of E

with regards to your question, do you have any gaps in your application, cuz I had horses when I was young but nothing recent for my PS so I did a night school course on horse care and stable management which was pretty much stuff I already knew but it gave me a reconised qualification as solid proof.
Reply 2
I have (or had at the time of applying)
-a part time job at a riding school/trekking centre - nicely doubles up as work experience
-A TRSS Ride Leader qualification (including Riding and Road Safety)
-HSE first aid at work certificate
-have taught at pony club camp
-volunteered at the Riding for the Disabled for a year

I dotted all of the above about a bit to make it look like I didn't just do horse related stuff.

-Helped at the brownies
-Helped run the school's lunchtime hockey club
-School buddying scheme where 6th years look after first years acting as a mentor (and we use them as personal slaves mhuahaha) I basically looked after a whole class with my friend
-did D of E (only bronze)
-Helped organise charity events

other random stuff I didn't include because it's from ages ago
-I have a blue belt in Judo (stopped about 5 years ago)
-was house captain in primary school

This did seem to be enough as both edinburgh and glasgow gave me an offer
Reply 3
ditto for glasgow and edinburgh offers with the above
Reply 4
ive done a ton of extra curricular,mainly sports, probably i why didnt get the amazing grades at gcses that i was predicted lol
-school rugby coach(college)
-school rugby player(college)
-used to do,karate,judo,badminton,football
-local team rugby player
-school mixed rounders,cricket,basketball(+captain),badminton and football player
-house captain + captain for all house sports teams and secondary
-prefect
-probably deputy head boy
-mentor/buddying person
-first aid (workplace and the st johns one)
-ukulele player
-in a band( summer bears, check out our myspace lol, we are a bit rusty, need to get a bassist so i can do counter on my uke lol)

that on top of work experience probably the reason my grades werent all a's lol
maybe if your into sports try and do a sports like thingy? i did rock climbing and orienteering for my gcses in PE, was great fun and looks kinda ok in ps i hope lol
Reply 5
im abit like you with all the sports stuff

i currently: coach gymnastics and athletics
compete for my club in athletics and respresent suffolk in pole vault! (i only started this event in may last ear so im not that good yet but suffolk dont have many pole vaulters)
at the time i applied i did dancing (and did loads of exams in it) but i had to give that up as i had not enough time.
i help out with the lower school pe house mathes at school
i also climb (so much fun!!!)

other none sports stuff i do is: play violin grade 5 and play in school orchestra, mentor lower school people.

stuff ive done and put in ps: taught english to 14 year olds in denmark for a week, D of e silver.

stuff i ve done and didnt put in ps:karate (3 off black belt when i was 13), swimming (gave up for athletics), jumped out of a plane (ever so much fun), school sports teams (practically everything going) in lower school.

with rgards to what choice you should take up i would ust do which ever you would find most interesting really. how come you have to do them?
All i have is first aid course/ d of e silver and i go to the gym :/ x
Reply 7
its an "extension studies" thing, we have to do them to broaden our education. This year i dis a physchology thing but none of them were qualifications this year or anything.

So far i have 8 years horse riding, grade 5 flute, d of e (gonna start gold soon), level one award in sports leadership, school prefect last year, cant think of anything else
Reply 8
Im a bit worried about what to put down for extra-curricular stuff, how much does it matter? For one thing, I dont do any team sports or volunteering (except with animals).

Would these be ok for extra curricular?
- electronic music production + guitar
- visiting art galleries
- travel (attending business & language course in China, vet assistant in Peru)
- affiliated badminton player
- going to gigs

At the end of the day I'm not going to start joining sports clubs and stuff just to look my application look good, because I wouldnt enjoy it! Also, if I get asked what I do to relax Im going to say I enjoy cooking a meal, enjoying a glass of wine and watching a comedy film (though I might miss the "wine" bit out, don't want them to worry I'll turn into a raging alcoholic that can't get through the day without booze lol. "a stiff glass of Tango" it is...:biggrin:)
Reply 9
I did a lot of trampolining, and said I hoped to begin coaching (though that has not yet happened... how embarrassing :tongue:). I had Duke of Edinburgh silver. I was a House Captain - organising tonnes of inter-house events, matches and fundraisers. Oh and I was a rep for the Portsmouth Film Festival :yep:
There are other bits and pieces, but those are the only ones I put down.
I wouldn't worry too much about not having team sports- I don't either, mainly cos I'm useless at them lol.
What I put in my ps:
Riding and part time stables job
Grade 5 clarinet
Grade 8 sax
D of E (only bronze)
helped with the Guides
Swimming
Think that's about it...
I reckon what you've got is plenty Annaconda. And I guess you should just do whichever project you like the sound of- no point in doing something you'd hate. Although I guess the public science one could be useful, maybe, as part of veterinary is getting science across to the public?
Reply 11
yep i had no team sprots, i had swimming karate and archery though
Reply 12
i think i had to much extra curricular...i couldnt fit it all in my ps with the work exp.
i had gymnastics and athletics coaching qualifications.
athletics and competiting for county in pole vault and long jump and competing for club.
dancing and exams up to silver in both types i did.
violin grade 6. play in school orchestra (not that i actually wanted to though....)
mentor ethiopian girl and help her with her english.
help run house matches for the lower school.
Help run county events such as cross country.
maths challenges and other random certificates.

cant remember how much i put in my ps though. but yeah i had no team sports at time of application.
well i hated my school and did zilch mentionable extra curricular except the minimum work exp and just went home every night to do relax and read things I like... and i still got in... why should they care?
Reply 14
After school job one day a week.
Volunteering on Sundays at a zoo.
Swimming 6 times a week if there were no competitions to go to, then it would be 7 or 8 times.
Young enterprise.
Teaching kids to read.
Badminton for a club once a week.
Volunteering for oxfam.
A few sponsored walks.

All that work experience.

Gigs. Traveling. Photography. Art.
Reply 15
i'm applying next year but I have,
-student govener/ senior student
-organising the sixth-form prom
-part of the anti-bullying committee
-first aid
-part-time job
-squash

and hopefully, when i apply i'll be training for the london marathon, but i haven't made a final decision on that yet.
Reply 16
Ilios_Lampros
well i hated my school and did zilch mentionable extra curricular except the minimum work exp and just went home every night to do relax and read things I like... and i still got in... why should they care?

show a wider range of skills etc

Latest

Trending

Trending