The Student Room Group
It'd more complicated because you're changing from a 3-year course to a 4-year course and it's likely that your LEA will only give you 3 years funding unless you declare at the start that you wish to do a 4-year course. It might be best to get in contact with them before you sort out your financing.
Reply 2
The West Wing
It'd more complicated because you're changing from a 3-year course to a 4-year course and it's likely that your LEA will only give you 3 years funding unless you declare at the start that you wish to do a 4-year course. It might be best to get in contact with them before you sort out your financing.

Meh, I changed from three year to four year with no trouble at all (and this was mid-way through second year, not at start), I don't really think it is much of a problem
Reply 3
If you're REALLY sure you want to change, email your college's admissions tutor. He/she may agree to speak to the directors of studies of the two courses to ask if they're okay with you switching course, and if they agree you may be allowed to change your course even before your A2 results are out.

Essentially: just let your college's admissions tutor know that you feel you'd rather be doing another subject (and give he/she some very good reasons why)!
Reply 4
1. You will certainly have to have another interview, for the different subject (they're not sufficiently similar to be abnle to get away with a straightforward swap).

2. Your LEA WILL fund you for thie 4 years. They in fact have 4 years'-worth of funding for all of us, they just don't tell us that. (In case of course changes, suspending studies for illness, etc.)

3. You should make your college aware sooner rather than later.
Reply 5
Sometimes it's not as simple as switching straight away: a girl in my year in college asked to switch from Law to Philosophy on her first day here, she told her that she had to complete the first year of law before switching. Which she did. And got the best first in college.

I imagine asking this far in advance may be a bit different, though. Good luck!
Reply 6
lol, you've even got a grumpy face next to the application and offer from Cambridge in your signature. That my annoy some people. Anyways, with regards to switching. A friend of mine did that last year (from MML to History) and was not only told they could not switch, but were asked to leave - rather harsh i think, but just to warn you, some colleges are more accepting than others. Good luck!
Reply 7
Edukasion
lol, you've even got a grumpy face next to the application and offer from Cambridge in your signature. That my annoy some people. Anyways, with regards to switching. A friend of mine did that last year (from MML to History) and was not only told they could not switch, but were asked to leave - rather harsh i think, but just to warn you, some colleges are more accepting than others. Good luck!

I don't believe that someone was asked to leave just for requesting to change course.

Anyhow, if you're sure you want to change contact the admissions tutor. They can't rescind the offer.
The West Wing

The SLC have something they call the "three plus one" rule, which basically means that even if you're on a three-year degree course, you're entitled to four years' finance in case you have a false start, or whatever. I think that you're also entitled to four years' finance if you always intended to do a four-year course. :smile:
Help for the OP only please *removes unhelpful posts*
Reply 10
OP: How about you wait till you get there, see what it's like and then form a judgement. Because right now you're just speculating that you don't like it, and you might find that you love it once you start the course.
Reply 11
:p: I highly doubt I'll love the course.

Thanks for the help guys :smile: Gonna email them in the next week or so and see what they say!
I'll keep you informed.
brimstone
:p: I highly doubt I'll love the course.

Thanks for the help guys :smile: Gonna email them in the next week or so and see what they say!
I'll keep you informed.

I'd be surprised if you encountered a problem, brim. A Petrean girl switched from English into SPS five weeks into Michaelmas, and I know of loads of people who have switched.
Reply 13
Good to know Craggy :smile:

Just thinking of how to word the email now.
Should I write like a mini personal statement - outlining reasons for change, and soforth?
Reply 14
Anyone? :frown:
Reply 15
Err... sometimes you have to make your own decisions, you know?
I wouldn't have thought that a whole personal statement-style thing was appropriate, but perhaps a very brief outline of why it is that you applied to the wrong course and what made you realise you changed your mind? Very few, if any, of us have been in this situation. I'm afraid you may have to decide for yourself what is appropriate.
brimstone

Just thinking of how to word the email now.
Should I write like a mini personal statement - outlining reasons for change, and soforth?

Only just saw this, sorry. I agree with coldfish..and also - I would treat it like a normal conversation, and just jot down the facts and press 'send' without any further thought :confused: I've never had any problems approaching things that way.

Latest

Trending

Trending