The Student Room Group

Obliged to go abroad during my GAP year to look impressive?

Hello,
now that I got 5 rejections (including neuroscience, which is rudely competitive), I would like to know what sorts of things would impress the medical schools I want to apply to. I am thinking about applying to Hull & York, maybe Peninsula, Brighton and Sussex, St Georges.
I want to know if I really have to go abroad like in Africa because many people that I know did that and got 3 or more offers for their second application. they also did some other stuff in London though, like being healthcare assistants.
What could be the alternative in London? Working in a hospital? Taking part in Crisis? Also what in your gap year do you think made you a stronger applicant? Apart from getting the grades?
Thanks a lot for those taht will reply.
Reply 1
In my experience, doing something like HCAing for a year or two is far more impressive that swanning around Asia finding yourself.
Reply 2
More work experience, life experience and extracurriculars will look good.. and I'm sure they can be attained in many ways without jetsetting.
Reply 3
Why would going abroad look more impressive than getting good experience?
I always assume that the admissions people will be more impressed if you can put in your personal statement that you went to the far corners of the Earth to help poor starving kids, but it's not feasible for everyone. I'm praying that staying in sunny old Yorkshire and doing some genuine, caring work experience for a year will suffice...
"I went to Asia to help the poor starving kids, and then I flew over to Africa to help the poor starving kids there and then I thought hmm...South America too has the poor starving kids" sounds a lot less impressive than "I worked as a HCA in xxx city and I learned from my work experience that......".
Reply 6
101 Cynicism
"I went to Asia to help the poor starving kids, and then I flew over to Africa to help the poor starving kids there and then I thought hmm...South America too has the poor starving kids" sounds a lot less impressive than "I worked as a HCA in xxx city and I learned from my work experience that......".
I guess I agree. You can work as an HCA and get menial inner city work experience anytime, during A Levels even. You can't really travel to chinese orphanages etc quite as easily so I guess it shows a bit more dedication.

If you really don't want to go, don't, it's your life. But lots of people really enjoy it.
Reply 7
There's no need to go abroad just for the sake of it. It isn't like Africa (or any other similar place) is the only place in the world which has problems, we've got problems here. You're in London, why not spend time volunteering for one of the many charities struggling to help the huge numbers of homeless people living on the city's streets? Combine that with some work as a HCA and I would've thought you'd be in a better position than those who spent their time abroad, I mean you'll have seen the problems faced in the UK, where ultimately you will be practising. And remember, the admissions staff are looking to see what you got out of your experiences, not just what you did. My work experience was particularly poor in the sense that I didn't have much hospital experience (about two and a half days), yet I did other things that focused on communication with different groups of people, something that will be seen as a valuable experience for a future doctor
Reply 8
Saffie
I guess I agree. You can work as an HCA and get menial inner city work experience anytime, during A Levels even. You can't really travel to chinese orphanages etc quite as easily so I guess it shows a bit more dedication.
How many freshers went to Kenyan orphanages last summer?
Reply 9
Renal
How many freshers went to Kenyan orphanages last summer?
how many are going this summer?
Look some of us did, in comparison to travelling to Africa etc, very lame gap years and still got in. :p: It's what you make of it :biggrin:
And some of us did a lame 3 and a half weeks work experience and also got in!
Reply 12
Alex L

*awkward silence*
Reply 13
Saffie
how many are going this summer?
**** knows.

How many want a CV bash?
Alex L

Other than any long term things, I did about 3 weeks! How is that lame at all? It takes a lot of effort to even get that!
Philosoraptor
Other than any long term things, I did about 3 weeks! How is that lame at all? It takes a lot of effort to even get that!

Its compared to some of the people you hear talking it doesn't seem like a lot. And I didn't really do any long term volunteering like most, mainly because nobody around where I live seemed to be bothered or wanted to help in the slightest

Latest