The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lastyear@uni
It also bugged me how they have these "colleges" which are really just halls of residence trying to make themselves sound like Doxbridge :rolleyes:

The college system is great, there is no Oxbridge pretentiousness about them at all. Everyone gets put into a college and you will remain affiliated with that college during your time at university. You can get involved in college sports or college politics (good if you have higher ambitions). Each college also has its own bar all of which are very different (some better then others, James doesn't have one at all) giving each college a different feel. There is also generally friendly rival college banter which will haunt you everywhere you go when you meet someone, one of the first questions you will ever ask someone at uni will be "so what college you in?".
Maybe other people feel differently but i have never ever heard anyone at York say "you know i really wish we didn't have colleges..." :smile:
University of York
York
York from the residents perspective:

Not a lot of nightlife. I hate coming back to York and being stuck in the same bars
Its a really small city - yet so easy to get lost in because of all its little alleyways.

The uni has some brilliant security guards who WILL chase you if you decide to jump into those huge hedges.
The campus has great transport access, but to be honest, the nearest supermarket is a 10/20 minute walk away and thats a somerfield (unless you count co-op in fulford)
Every few days, kids from the local school (hehee... ME!) will come and take over your gym.
Reply 22

Not a lot of nightlife. I hate coming back to York and being stuck in the same bars
Its a really small city - yet so easy to get lost in because of all its little alleyways.

The uni has some brilliant security guards who WILL chase you if you decide to jump into those huge hedges.
The campus has great transport access, but to be honest, the nearest supermarket is a 10/20 minute walk away and thats a somerfield (unless you count co-op in fulford)
Every few days, kids from the local school (hehee... ME!) will come and take over your gym.

I could live with most of that I think... I mean for the nightlife you can go to leeds can't you?
Reply 23
York has 3 clubs, and 4ish bars with dance floors (Reflex adn Flares anyone?). There are loads of really great bars, vodka revs, evil eye, nags head, Lowther, Monteys, Dodger. There are still loads i have never been to. And yes Leeds is 20 minutes away by train, there are a few campus events a year that go to leeds and offer you transport there and back and club entry for like £12 or something. Night life is not an issue at all in York, after the first year going out on the town becomes less often anyway.
Reply 24
Oh, for those curious regarding the croissants, coffee and orange juice, it was up by the library all last term - on Valentine's Day they gave out chocolates.
... Although I was born in London I moved to Milton Keynes.

I find if I don't get my fix of concrete enough I start to free-run everywhere...

...and that's why I chose York.
Reply 26
you'll certainly get your concrete fix at york from what i've seen from the campus! :biggrin:
Reply 27
Lol suppose York is the place you want to be if you suffer from hayfever :P
Reply 28
2nd2god
Lol suppose York is the place you want to be if you suffer from hayfever :P

Have you ever seen the campus during the Spring? York couldnt be any worse! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending