Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Aston vs Nottingham

Hello Everyone!
My course at Aston is Accounting for Management
and at Nottingham is FAM

The problem I am facing is that although I prefer Aston because of its friendly atmosphere and the location in which it is based I am concerned about the future career prospects a particular university can provide me. And as Aston is not a red brick university and not part of the Russell group (and in contrast Nottz is) and from what I have been lead to believe from the teaching staff at my school I will have a better chance of getting into a reputable company if I attend Nottingham university. I just wanted to clarify whether this was actually the case or will I have exactly the same graduate prospects at either university.
Thanks in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes Nottingham is a more prestigious University than Aston is - much more favoured by employees, higher in the University ranking tables, etc, etc.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Aston is consistently ranked one of the highest in terms of graduate employment and has excellent links with the industry. A lot of 3rd years go on placement at top companies as well, especially in Business degrees. I don't know too much about Nottingham business degrees though.

There's some information on Aston's website if you're interested or look on Graduate employability tables in the Times/Guardian papers to compare the two.
Reply 3
Aston's Business School is very good but if you're aiming for excellent career prospects than I think Nottingham's overall reputation might give you the edge. In terms of rankings and I would like to point out that this should be a very small part of your decision, they are equal for Business. For Accounting, Nottingham University is a lot more well known I would say.
Reply 4
I would go Nottingham, but then again, I am at Nottingham soI am somewhat obliged to say that, and also I've encorporated French into my degree, and Aston's French department did not impress me very much. If I were to be doing FAM, then I'd just go straight to Aston.
Reply 5
If your employers are up to date and looking for the best graduates - then Aston

according to the time university guide 2008

Aston is 15th
Nottingham is 19th

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php

Also Aston Business School is consistently rated as one of the best business schools in the country and its masters in business is one of the best in the world

Also Birmingham has a lot more going on then Nottigham and the uni is 5min walk from the centre.
Reply 6
Thanks guys for you quick reply. From this thread I am leaning towards Aston at the moment. I just wanted to know whether there would be a massive difference between the two unis as although i have seen the league tables i was given the impression that employers did still discriminate a little towards non-red brick unis.
Reply 7
Aston is definately a much better university than a lot of people think; Aston Business School especially.

I'd say that, in business/management, graduate prospects might be similar, although most would say Nottingham would have the edge.

Having said this, don't forget about the placement year available to you in Aston's course, which would undoubtedly stand you in good stead when you graduate, having had a year's worth of (hopefully) relevant work experience, and possibly some links with the firm for which you worked.

Don't forget to take other things into account though, like what modules you can take etc, which location you prefer, which campus you'd prefer to live on etc, as things like that will matter to you a lot more during your 3 years there.
Reply 8
markdr
Aston is definately a much better university than a lot of people think; Aston Business School especially..

I agree completely!
Reply 9
perpetual
If your employers are up to date and looking for the best graduates - then Aston

according to the time university guide 2008

Aston is 15th
Nottingham is 19th

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php

Also Aston Business School is consistently rated as one of the best business schools in the country and its masters in business is one of the best in the world

Also Birmingham has a lot more going on then Nottigham and the uni is 5min walk from the centre.

Oh really?

Sunday times university guide 2008
Overall rep: Aston is 32nd & Nottingham is 15th
Best degrees: Nottingham is 12/20

Times university guide 2008
Business: Nottingham is 6th & Aston is 6th

University good guide 2008
Overall rep: Aston 12th & Nottingham is 14th
Business: Aston 7th & Nottingham 6th

Guardian 2008
Overall rep: Nottingham is 19th & Aston is 30th
Business: Aston 11th & Nottingham 21nd

On top of this, Nottingham is a Russell Group member and Aston is not, and according to the latest research done by the Sutton Trust, Nottingham is one of the UK's 13 elite universities and Aston is not.

So souly based on reputation, i think Nottingham beats Aston.
Reply 10
I also think that Aston's reputation seems to be a little exaggerated on TSR. I have constantly read that although their Business school is good, compared to other more 'traditional' Universities it cannot compare due to the fact that it's not as well known.
Reply 11
Lol that's why you university degree certificate says Aston Business School - also I've had interviews with every investment bank and all of them mentioned aston as a target uni for the roundedness of its students.

But hey my best friend went to nottingham and he's working for kpmg. At the end of the day top 30 and and a 2.1 or 1st otherwise its not worth going
Reply 12
Don't forget, Nottingham is a top 100 uni in the world. Aston isn't.
Reply 13
Lol yesterday i was 90% that i will pick Aston now im seriously confused. Alot more thinking to do :frown:
Reply 14
Have you visited both?
Reply 15
Yep i have. I like Aston as a university on a whole but just don't want to end up at a major disadvantage when applying for a job.
Reply 16
It won't put you at a major disadvantage. In the league tables Aston may be below Nottingham, but as I mentioned earlier, having done a placement year should act in your favour.

Go for whichever you prefer the course at.
Reply 17
Please don't chose a University just because of this thread. I get the impression that just because someone on this thread says that Aston is better, you will go for them. Aston is a very good University and their Business school is VERY good. Nottingham is just as good, the only advantage I THINK Nottingham has over Aston's Business School is simply the fact that Nottingham's overall reputation is superior to that of Aston. Other than that, Aston is very good. I think you should the University based on the course modules, the placement year is a very good factor you should consider and also bear in mind that Nottingham's campus is HUGE! If you're a city person, then you might find Nottingham a bit dull.
Reply 18
perpetual
Lol that's why you university degree certificate says Aston Business School - also I've had interviews with every investment bank and all of them mentioned aston as a target uni for the roundedness of its students.

But hey my best friend went to nottingham and he's working for kpmg. At the end of the day top 30 and and a 2.1 or 1st otherwise its not worth going

This is a very good point. If you want to make it in the corporate world, this is a very important factor. They look for grades as a very important factor.
Reply 19
Thanks everyone who posted. I thought about it long and hard and also discussed this with one of my teachers and we both agreed i should go to the one i would be most happy at, thus i have chosen Aston as my firm as i realised i would enjoy it more there because i liked the campus better than Nottz and also because of the fact that i wont be at a major disadvantage when applying for a job. Thanks again dudes! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending