The Student Room Group

TSR Engineering Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Peel
I'm glad I'm not taking electronics :p:

Lol, just because electronics isn't your main subject doesn't mean you won't get lumped with it anyway... my Subject is Aeronautical and I have quite a bit of lecky to do.
Reply 21
Mush
Lol, just because electronics isn't your main subject doesn't mean you won't get lumped with it anyway... my Subject is Aeronautical and I have quite a bit of lecky to do.

Oh damn :p:. Well one can always hope!

They're probably not as daunting as they sound ... right?
Reply 22
Peel
Oh damn :p:. Well one can always hope!

They're probably not as daunting as they sound ... right?

It depends. I find that some people have an aptitude for it, some don't.
Reply 23
Mush
It depends. I find that some people have an aptitude for it, some don't.

You = don't

Right? :biggrin:
Reply 24
djmarkmclachlan
You = don't

Right? :biggrin:

Haw. When you get better than an A3 in lecky this year, THAT's when you can make suggestions like that boyo :wink:. You'll be grovelling for my help.
Reply 25
Mush
Haw. When you get better than an A3 in lecky this year, THAT's when you can make suggestions like that boyo :wink:. You'll be grovelling for my help.

hahaha :biggrin:
im new here - just felt like saying hi - when is there going to be some discussions about engineering in here then?
Reply 27
eulerwaswrong
im new here - just felt like saying hi - when is there going to be some discussions about engineering in here then?

Hey, welcome to the Soc.

The discussions ensue as soon as someone sparks some interesting and engaging topics of conversation! (hint thint!)
just thought id ask in here. Im thinking of doing a Year in Industry before University - has anyone in here done it.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
Experiences?
Reply 29
eulerwaswrong
just thought id ask in here. Im thinking of doing a Year in Industry before University - has anyone in here done it.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
Experiences?

I've never done it, but it would definitely be a good idea. A years worth of relevant work experience will REALLY give you an edge over other graduate job applicants once you've got your degree.I think Ukebert has just finished a year of some sort of industrial experience! PM him!

But bear in mind that most Engineering courses at university have industrial work experience built into the course (usually in the 5th year of MEng).
Mush
I've never done it, but it would definitely be a good idea. A years worth of relevant work experience will REALLY give you an edge over other graduate job applicants once you've got your degree.I think Ukebert has just finished a year of some sort of industrial experience! PM him!

But bear in mind that most Engineering courses at university have industrial work experience built into the course (usually in the 5th year of MEng).

hmm - yea i can see how a years placement at the end of your course would be more beneficial -
Reply 31
eulerwaswrong
hmm - yea i can see how a years placement at the end of your course would be more beneficial -

Doing a year beforehand is still a really good idea. It gives you an extra year that 90% of other graduates won't have. And it gives you an idea of whether Engineering industry really IS for you.
eulerwaswrong

...25% of students who did a YinI got a first as opposed to people who did not do it. I am doing it, and its great.
Reply 33
Moisturiser
...25% of students who did a YinI got a first as opposed to people who did not do it. I am doing it, and its great.

What do you mean as opposed to people who did not do it?

What's the percentages of firsts among folk who don't do it?
Moisturiser

Can you give me a little more info about your year?

Who have you done it with?
Why it has been so good for you?
Reply 35
Well there is the chance that the company you do your YinI with will sponsor you through your degree, with work placements guaranteed during holidays and so on.
eulerwaswrong
Can you give me a little more info about your year?

Who have you done it with?
Why it has been so good for you?

I wont tell you where it is.

My year has been most excellent because I have learned so so much and I can see why the government is going back to apprenticeships again - they will learn hell of a lot more useful things in one of these rather than doing a degree. It is great because I get to try so many new things and I now know how to program, draw advanced CAD models and they are quite happy to let me initiate my projects. One of my inventions (which they now use instead of their old system) is being entered in the YinI competition that they hold.

The best bit I think is when they actually trust you enough to treat you as a real engineer. I.e. during the last couple of months I have been allowed to sit in on proper meetings and actually contribute, because they know I can. Very important though you have to be very adamant with the fact that you want to learn. My manager tried to stick me in the workshop but I would not have any of that. I help out when they are in real trouble (the previous YinI students did not they apparently only knew how to fiddle with computers - that is what I do best as well but I still know my way around a power drill). And I built a test rig for another on of my inventions in the workshop. Thus I know how to do all the engineering stuff and the technical stuff as well which has led to me being swamped in work (loving it though) of all different kinds but the majority is CAD work and programming work.

Also I have found that it is very fun to talk to suppliers and customers, because (and this you'll find aswell) there is so much more to engineering that just maths and Physics so you cannot be a completely asocial if you want to be an engineer. And my YinI has taught me that very well, further why I recommend it to anyone. When I start at Imperial this year I know I will have a head start over all the others and I only need to do 2 more years in industry to qualify as a Chartered engineer (yes the YinI year is counted).

Feel free to PM me if you want to know the name of the company and further details.

EDIT: Neg-rep: "You just sound like a self-centred SoaB."

I am a self-centred SoaB I thought that was obvious by now?
Neil.A.H
Well there is the chance that the company you do your YinI with will sponsor you through your degree, with work placements guaranteed during holidays and so on.

They [yini] actively encourage you to ask about sponsorship. But I have not done so far as I think it is rather rude to ask them to sponsor me because I don't think I will be working there in the future and they have given me enough as it is. I think with big companies like Shell they can sponsor you, no probs but with the smaller ones it just is not possible. I will naturally accept if THEY offer it to me but I find that asking them is just plain rude.
Reply 38
hate
They [yini] actively encourage you to ask about sponsorship. But I have not done so far as I think it is rather rude to ask them to sponsor me because I don't think I will be working there in the future and they have given me enough as it is. I think with big companies like Shell they can sponsor you, no probs but with the smaller ones it just is not possible. I will naturally accept if THEY offer it to me but I find that asking them is just plain rude.

I see what you're saying hate but really you shouldn't think of it as rude. It is quite expected for example that a number of people entering graduate schemes with a company will leave at the end of them. By the same token, just because a company has sponsored you throughout your degree it does not mean you are obliged to join them upon graduation. Most just say that they "hope" to make you an offer when you graduate.
Neil.A.H
I see what you're saying hate but really you shouldn't think of it as rude. It is quite expected for example that a number of people entering graduate schemes with a company will leave at the end of them. By the same token, just because a company has sponsored you throughout your degree it does not mean you are obliged to join them upon graduation. Most just say that they "hope" to make you an offer when you graduate.

I do not like "help" in that sense that I am inextricably linked to that company for four years. On my behalf (thats how I work anyway) it would seem outstandingly rude not to join them for a couple of years when they have given me in excess of £20 000 pounds. Do not get me wrong I am applying for just about every scholarship available but I feel its below my dignity to ask for that kind of 'charity' if you like. Sure my company has a turnover of a couple of million pounds each year and they could PROBABLY support me but it just feels wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest