The Student Room Group

TSR Engineering Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hate
I do not like "help" in that sense that I am inextricably linked to that company for four years. On my behalf (thats how I work anyway) it would seem outstandingly rude not to join them for a couple of years when they have given me in excess of £20 000 pounds. Do not get me wrong I am applying for just about every scholarship available but I feel its below my dignity to ask for that kind of 'charity' if you like. Sure my company has a turnover of a couple of million pounds each year and they could PROBABLY support me but it just feels wrong.

I'm not suggesting you should cast your dignity aside, far from it. I just think you are approaching it with the wrong mindset when you talk of help and charity.

£~20k certainly sounds like a lot but it really just amounts to roughly 1 year's salary at graduate level. Do you honestly think they would make the money available if it wasn't a worthwhile proposition for them? You're a valuable commodity after all if you're going to Imperial and have already undertaken a YinI. An extra year of salary paid to you over 4 years, with a fair chance that you will stay on and join one of their graduate schemes and even carry on and forge a career with them. That doesn't sound like charity to me.
Neil.A.H
I'm not suggesting you should cast your dignity aside, far from it. I just think you are approaching it with the wrong mindset when you talk of help and charity.

£~20k certainly sounds like a lot but it really just amounts to roughly 1 year's salary at graduate level. Do you honestly think they would make the money available if it wasn't a worthwhile proposition for them? You're a valuable commodity after all if you're going to Imperial and have already undertaken a YinI. An extra year of salary paid to you over 4 years, with a fair chance that you will stay on and join one of their graduate schemes and even carry on and forge a career with them. That doesn't sound like charity to me.

I see your point and it is correct in its entirety BUT what if I don't join them? I felt guilty for calling in sick...

Not taking up their offer would probably land me in the land of guilt.
Reply 42
Ah the dreaded guilt, it's such a wonderful emotion... :frown:

Clearly you need to find a company that you really would like to work for, harrass them into giving you a summer placement in your 1st year and then do your best to convince them you are most worthy of their sponsorship for the remaining 3 years!
Neil.A.H
Ah the dreaded guilt, it's such a wonderful emotion... :frown:

Clearly you need to find a company that you really would like to work for, harrass them into giving you a summer placement in your 1st year and then do your best to convince them you are most worthy of their sponsorship for the remaining 3 years!

Tell me have you been through a similar situation? I am nearing the end of my placement (3 months left) so if I am going to ask it has to be soon.

I could do the placement route OR the scholarship one - clearly my favourite 'cause you can say "I am on a scholarship"
Reply 44
hate
Tell me have you been through a similar situation? I am nearing the end of my placement (3 months left) so if I am going to ask it has to be soon.

I could do the placement route OR the scholarship one - clearly my favourite 'cause you can say "I am on a scholarship"

No, I was a complete waste of space when I left school really.

In talking about placements/sponsorship, scholarships completely slipped my mind so apologies about that. I can see now why you're a bit wary of asking for sponsorship since being given funding based on academic merit is more appealing in many ways. Just as an aside, can I ask which engineering discipline you're looking to study?
Neil.A.H
No, I was a complete waste of space when I left school really.

In talking about placements/sponsorship, scholarships completely slipped my mind so apologies about that. I can see now why you're a bit wary of asking for sponsorship since being given funding based on academic merit is more appealing in many ways. Just as an aside, can I ask which engineering discipline you're looking to study?

I will give it some more thought though regarding asking my company.
if i am applying to do a yini, shall i apply for uni in year 13 and defer my entry or do i apply during my yini course?
Reply 47
eulerwaswrong
if i am applying to do a yini, shall i apply for uni in year 13 and defer my entry or do i apply during my yini course?

It doesn't really matter. But getting the offer before the YinI means you don't have to worry about doing your ucas application and all that stuff, during your YinI. And it means you definitely have your offer.

Whereas, if you were to apply during your YinI, it might be the case that you don't get into university, and then you've wasted a YinI when you could have been getting better qualifications to get into uni...

Definitely do it sooner rather than later, just for piece of mind, and to get the hassle of application over and done with.
Reply 48
Jees. I am not looking forward to having to sort all current prospective members list into their rightful groups once they all start in 2008 =[
Reply 49
Has anyone ever had an internship with F1Williams? My senior tutor has said that yes someone in our department has done previously.... but for the life of me can't get a response from H&R! letters... emails...

Edit: Specifically in Grove btw

EditEdit: I'm now Yr2,nearly Yr3 mecheng now!
Where i live we have two fantastic bridges (i think they are anyway). The most famous one we have - is pontypridds "old bridge" - it was once the largest single span bridge in the world. - very well built.

But we also have this amazing bridge built more recently by brunel. It isnt as highly though of - but i looked at it today and just though wow - that is impressive. The bridge's arches are curving at angles etc - it is amazing.

What do you think are the most underrated engineering accomplishments?
Reply 51
eulerwaswrong
Where i live we have two fantastic bridges (i think they are anyway). The most famous one we have - is pontypridds "old bridge" - it was once the largest single span bridge in the world. - very well built.

But we also have this amazing bridge built more recently by brunel. It isnt as highly though of - but i looked at it today and just though wow - that is impressive. The bridge's arches are curving at angles etc - it is amazing.

The wheel springs to mind, though it's not quite as technically-challenging as the majority of contemporary engineering projects.
Reply 52
Hey im studying Civil Engineering with French at cardiff Uni (nottingham insurance)

i was just wondering if anyone else is studying this....
i have been unable to find anyone studying Civil Eng with language at any university, only 4 seem to do the course...
i went up to see some old friends on the weekend and we went to see the falkirk wheel - i thought it was absolutely amazing - id seen pictures of it before - but id never actually seen it, and i thought it was absolutely amazing, simple concepts, but extremely inticate and complex - i think this is one of the best engineering feats of the last few years.

I asked a similar question the other day in here - but here goes - what are the 5 best engineering feats in the world - be that modern or roman etc.

mine are not in any order

falkirk wheel
brunel bridge in pontypridd
Segovia Aqueduct
Chinese Moon bridge
Hoover Dam
anyone?
Reply 55
eulerwaswrong
anyone?

The Space Shuttle.
The A380.
A ladder in my house that is older than anyone who has every lived here, and outlived a few of them too.
thinking about von browns first rocket, and the russian dudes 4th was pretty impressive (i wouldnt have said it is great though the amount of time it crashed lol)

if anybodys wants to look at some cool engineering pontys old bridge + victoria bridge + pontypridds brunel double skew arch railway bridge
Reply 57
eulerwaswrong
thinking about von browns first rocket, and the russian dudes 4th was pretty impressive (i wouldnt have said it is great though the amount of time it crashed lol)

if anybodys wants to look at some cool engineering pontys old bridge + victoria bridge + pontypridds brunel double skew arch railway bridge

It's Von Braun, is it not.

Erm the rocket in general is pretty amazing. How it develop through the centuries is pretty awesome though.

William Hale's improvements were pretty ingenious.
Mush
It's Von Braun, is it not.

Erm the rocket in general is pretty amazing. How it develop through the centuries is pretty awesome though.

William Hale's improvements were pretty ingenious.

my bad - its late and im tired. Did you see that BBC docu-drama about the space race - i think it wasnt that bad - missed some things - but not bad.

The rocket is impressive - but in my eyes i think there must be a better way of doing it
Right, I'll join this society, request sent!
eulerwaswrong

By the general public? There's a lot of stuff people simply take for granted that has paved the way (no pun intended, honest) for us to have a good quality of life. Civil engineering, power generation and information engineering are the obvious things here I think. People go for a shower or turn on their computer and just expect it to work without any idea of the complexity of the systems needed to make sure it all works perfectly. Also I suspect the overwhelming majority of people who turn on their radio and tune it to Radio 1 or whatever have no idea whatsoever how frequency or amplitude modulation work - quite a simple idea but still very smart, like most good engineering solutions.

Quick Reply

Latest