The Student Room Group

TSR Engineering Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hmm, well, to be honest, Finance seems a bit boring, and finance doesn't have much to do with investment banking. If you want to go into investment banking, think carefully. Sure you'll make a lot of money, but you also need time to spend the money! Also like you said its stressful. It's not as glamorous as most people think either. However, there are loads of things you can do in investment banking, not just trading; there's risk assessment and stuff like that which you may find interesting.

Engineering, though lower paid, would be I think more satisfying, but that's just me. Would also give you time to do some of your other interests!
just starting to right my engineering personal statement - lookig for a bit of help - heres basically my outline

why i love engineering, loved it from a young age - the rewarding feeling when saying i built that

academics - enjoy maths/physics - UKMT stuff, Mention my 100 and 92% in M1, forces and motion. Talk a little about pure

headstart uni course - how this enabled me to apply my academic abilities to real life problems - won the competition there

work experience - week with a design consultancy, week with a contractor costain - involved in the same large scale project at different times during its development/construction - this was a valuable and broad insight into the world of civil engineering.

any pointers?
dont want to sound to love this love that, this is rewarding, i enjoy etc
any other useful lines that i could chuck in?

to quote or not to quote - i have a few

also there is this fantastic bridge about a minute from where i live built by brunel - (the most amazing bridge you will ever see) shall i mention how this "captivated my imagination as a young boy and has fueled my desire to become a civil engineer"/ "the beauty of the arches/ curves are only beaten by the beauty of the maths and physics behind it"

shall i talk about big engineering projects what i like etc about them or?

sorry for the wafeling - just loking for a few pointers thats all - feel free to laugh at my current attempt as it sounds a bit gay - but any help would be much appreciated
Reply 82
id say ur sorted with what u hav there... these statements r all about cheesyness lol! say lego was ur favourite toy as a child nd u loved building things with it. the bridge stuff is good too!

mayb throw in sumthin bout general uni stuff (e.g. gettin life experience nd that) to make sure its not all " i love engineering so much" sorta thing ...

hope that helped a bit... u shud b alrite with wat u hav, sounded more impressive than mine nd i got in to construction engineerin! plus at the end of the day itl b ur grades that decides ur outcome
ab521
id say ur sorted with what u hav there... these statements r all about cheesyness lol! say lego was ur favourite toy as a child nd u loved building things with it. the bridge stuff is good too!

mayb throw in sumthin bout general uni stuff (e.g. gettin life experience nd that) to make sure its not all " i love engineering so much" sorta thing ...

hope that helped a bit... u shud b alrite with wat u hav, sounded more impressive than mine nd i got in to construction engineerin! plus at the end of the day itl b ur grades that decides ur outcome

how dare you mention the l-word. Yet alone insinuate that i touched lego. I find that highly offensive. K'nex was the real engineers toy - the structures that you could build with the masterpeice of modern society that is knex was boundless.

thanks for the help though.
Reply 84
I liked lego :frown:
ukebert
I liked lego :frown:

you disgust me

what could you actually do with lego? knex was superior in every sense
Reply 86
eulerwaswrong
you disgust me

what could you actually do with lego? knex was superior in every sense

It was cheaper than K'nex :smile:

And you could build buildings with it.
Reply 87
ukebert

DUPLO FTW!

ukebert

you could do absolutely everything with knex - there is nothing you could not do with it - it was like the ultimate toy.
Reply 89
eulerwaswrong
you could do absolutely everything with knex - there is nothing you could not do with it - it was like the ultimate toy.

True, and I played with it as well. However, I didn't have very much of it compared to lego, so lego was my favourite.
curves are only beaten by the beauty of the maths and physics behind it

good god
MichaelScofield
good god

i know i know - what ever i right just sounds downright gay like above or way too boring - theres no happy medium
anybody on here being sponsers to do their course?
whats your deal like?
who is sponsoring you?
Haha on the Headstart Engineering course I went on we used K'Nex.
joshm
Haha on the Headstart Engineering course I went on we used K'Nex.

what headstart course was that?
on the birmingham civils one we built truss bridges from a4 pieces of paper
eulerwaswrong
what headstart course was that?
on the birmingham civils one we built truss bridges from a4 pieces of paper
Nottingham general engineering.
anybody fancy dicussing where they are applying/ what course they are applying for next year?

im applying for civil engineering at: imperial, cardiff, cambridge(engineering), birmingham and loughbrough.

anybody got any advice/experience of the above unis/courses? any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply 97
I do Civil Engineering @ Cardiff. Its good. Not sure about its rep though..
shuvle
I do Civil Engineering @ Cardiff. Its good. Not sure about its rep though..

its ranked 2nd in the league tables for civils i think isnt it?

what year you in? what do you think are best/worst bits about it?
Reply 99
eulerwaswrong
its ranked 2nd in the league tables for civils i think isnt it?

what year you in? what do you think are best/worst bits about it?

Y2

best bits: the city.

worst bits: the course is hard.

Quick Reply

Latest