The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

id swap ict with maths since its not look on as a great subject
Reply 2
^^Good idea, as long as you'll get at least a B in Maths.
ict is also boring as f00k
Reply 4
I enjoy ICT very much so I'm not sure about that. Though I'm not much of an essay writer as I suck at them. More of a learner and 'doing something' person.
well its on the black list so id leave it
Reply 6
I don't think it'd necessarily "help" you to get in. A bit of knowledge of statistics could help when you're actually doing your degree/after you become a doctor.

I was under the impression that a lot of universities required 3 sciences. If that's the case, definitely get rid of psychology (which is black listed by some universities I think) and replace it with maths or physics.
Reply 7
yer as everyone is saying dump ict for maths :biggrin: just like i did :biggrin:
I thought it was sociology that wasn't highly looked upon, and psychology is in fact recommended (and in some peoples eyes-considered 3rd science). This is only what I have heard directly from headteacher, and head of 6th form at a grammar school.
Reply 9
ICT is on the unacceptable list, now a days more and more universities are taking Cambridge and LSE's approach to A levels. Its not worth it at all, take maths. Dumping psychology is right aswell, take physics if you really want, but you can take an art subject as well, such as History or English Litt. Defo take one of physics / maths, preferably maths.
For medicine, two sciences are enough for the vast majority of medical schools, apart from some Cambridge colleges and if I recall correctly, Sheffield. Many prefer to see a contrasting subject at AS (UCL give explicit preference for it) to show 'variety' and whatnot. Having maths probably won't advantage you in a significant way, but I do think that maths is a rigorous and useful subject to take, especially when contemplating doing any scientific subject.

Psychology isn't blacklisted as such - I know many people with offers from Oxbridge/medical schools etc with Psych as a third/fourth subject. It won't be classed as a science though. I would advise against ICT because it is such a time-consuming subject for what is recognised very little by universities; for medicine, your time would be better spent doing relevant work experience. Out of the subjects you've mentioned, swap maths for ICT.
I'd replace ICT with Maths too. Maths, Bio, Chem are traditional + Psych is handy. Would be a good combination.
Reply 12
Thanks guys. I have decided to swap ICT with Maths. Is the jump for Maths from GCSE to A-Level very big? As in, would I be able to manage my time properly with these subjects or do some of these subjects need more dedication?

Thank you all :biggrin:
I think you jump from GCSE to AS first don't you... jumping from GCSE to A level is definately a huuuuuuuuge gap yeah... :smile:
Reply 14
Hey guys. I've just been discussing a few topics with my sister. Since I have not put enough effort in GCSE, I will be getting grades ranging from A's, B's and C's. I wasn't committed with the subjects but now understand how important GCSE's are for the future.

I just wanted to know whether getting lets say a 'B' in Science in GCSE, and then getting an 'A' in Biology and Chemistry in A Level help. My sister told me that seeing that I now can't get an A* in GCSE (Our school is doing modular Science) will mean I will most likely get rejected from all universities in which I want to do Medicine.
Reply 15
swap IT with maths
Reply 16
Thanks HSN. But if you have all A's, but your GCSE's are rubbish, does that make a difference. Surely it shouldn't, because A-Levels are WAY harder than GCSE's.
In answer to your question, yes. Apparently it does make a difference!
How big a difference? Well, your guess is as good as mine!
Reply 18
There's still time to do better in your GCSEs - just work as hard as you can (ask teachers for help outside of lessons or even get a private tutor). You need to get at least Bs in Maths, Eng Lang and science. I agree with the others about changing ICT but you don't have to go for Maths if you're not strong in it/don't enjoy it - as long as you substitute it for an academic subject such as Eng Lit, History, a language, Geography, RS or Physics. And make sure you get plenty of voluntary work and a bit of work experience because that's what really matters. Good luck :smile:
maths is excellent.
i would say consider computing over ict though

Latest