The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

...yes?

There's quite a few of us, as well as a couple of graduates.
Reply 2
Also, where are you studying and which year??
Cambridge, first year.

Why?
Reply 4
newcastle, second year
Reply 5
Bristol, Second Year
Reply 6
Self-teaching various first/second year stuff that takes my fancy at the moment, in October I'll (hopefully) be in the first year at Cambridge.
Reply 7
Warwick, first year. But why?
Reply 8
Wollongong 2nd

\m/
Reply 9
Warwick, third year.
I'll join in then...

Warwick, second year
Reply 11
I wish I could join in. :biggrin:
Reply 12
The Orientalist
I'll join in then...

Warwick, second year

Oh I'm thinking of going to Warwick next year, to do maths but not too sure. Cant decide between Warwick or Manch, I know that Warwick is better than Manch but what are the people like? Are they all typical AAAA candidates? Is the nightlife as restriained as it apears to be - all on campus?

I live in Leeds at the moment and the nightlife here is great so Im not sure which is more importaint, a slightly better degree or having a fun 3/4 years?
mikeleeds
Oh I'm thinking of going to Warwick next year, to do maths but not too sure. Cant decide between Warwick or Manch, I know that Warwick is better than Manch but what are the people like? Are they all typical AAAA candidates? Is the nightlife as restriained as it apears to be - all on campus?

I live in Leeds at the moment and the nightlife here is great so Im not sure which is more importaint, a slightly better degree or having a fun 3/4 years?

Can't say I know what the stereotypical Warwick student is like. But like any university you're bound to find people you'll get along with, whether you're a toff, raver, rugby player, nerd etc and the fact that we've got more societies than any other Student's Union in the UK should help you them. The entry requirements for maths are high, so yeah I guess most people have 4As or equivalent. Don't let that put you off though, we're a fun bunch :wink:.

There's not much comparison nightlife wise between the two. Manchester owns it: it's a huge city with lots to do and only London can beat that. Entertainment on Warwick campus is pretty decent though, and by the time you start you're degree (2009 I guess) we'll probably have the best Student's Union in the country! http://www.warwicksu.com/unionsouthrebuild/
If you're bored of campus, there's always Leamington spa (20 min bus ride), Coventry (10 min bus ride) and Birmingham (20 min by train).
Reply 14
No, it'll be Sept 08 acctually they gave me an extra month to decide for some reason!

The steriotypical warwick student is boring i supose and one who would always ut work ahead of a good time... God I only have like 2 weeks to decide... ersonally I dont iek either campus,m an I'd have a much easier first year at Manchester with their lower offers and probably an easier three years but a poorer degree... How does everyone else manage to decide so quickley and definatively!!!
mikeleeds
No, it'll be Sept 08 acctually they gave me an extra month to decide for some reason!

The steriotypical warwick student is boring i supose!!!

Well I'll have to disagree with that stereotype, wholeheartedly.

mikeleeds
I'd have a much easier first year at Manchester with their lower offers and probably an easier three years but a poorer degree

No offense mate, but I really don't think maths is the subject for you if you're put off by a course because it appears more challenging and just want to mess around for 3 years. But then again, if you didn't like the campus you might as well go for Manchester.
mikeleeds

The steriotypical warwick student is boring i supose and one who would always ut work ahead of a good time... God I only have like 2 weeks to decide... ersonally I dont iek either campus,m an I'd have a much easier first year at Manchester with their lower offers and probably an easier three years but a poorer degree... How does everyone else manage to decide so quickley and definatively!!!

You dont like the campus, don't like the course, dont like the stereotypical paint-everyone-with-the-same-brush student at Warwick that you made in your head... this is a no brainer: go to Manchester. I'm not joking either, you sound like you'd be the grumpy type to arrive on campus, someone who's arrived against his will :p: Manchester will be great, you seem to love it (i quite liked the old UMIST when i visited there).
Reply 17
The Orientalist
Well I'll have to disagree with that stereotype, wholeheartedly.
No offense mate, but I really don't think maths is the subject for you if you're put off by a course because it appears more challenging and just want to mess around for 3 years. But then again, if you didn't like the campus you might as well go for Manchester.

Well, steriotypes are almost always far from the truth, but often arise from something thats maybe a bit truthful...

And I dont take offense dont worry - I acctually think youve helped me - I'm the exact kind of annoying person who lets people know Im somewhere I dont want to be! You should go to do phycology or something the campus isnt very nice at manchester either, although cant say ive been to see much accom. Im not wanting to mess around for three years, just be able to have a laugh along the way - I know too many people who take work so seriously they dont really have a social life and are confined to their own somewhat antisocial friend circles, and it doesnt give a nice atmosphere and when I went to Warwick for the open day (which was for maths & physics students) I got the impression that alot of the people considering going were the kind that would sacrifice friends for grades - which I could understand if it was a noble prize or something but not an a level, maybe I just get lonely too easily who knows or just bumped into all the wrong people!

silent ninja
You dont like the campus, don't like the course, dont like the stereotypical paint-everyone-with-the-same-brush student at Warwick that you made in your head... this is a no brainer: go to Manchester. I'm not joking either, you sound like you'd be the grumpy type to arrive on campus, someone who's arrived against his will :p: Manchester will be great, you seem to love it (i quite liked the old UMIST when i visited there).

Well, when you say I dont like the course, acctually I am more interested in some of the Warwick options than the Manch ones (which makes my desicion even harder) - as above the course is one which has given me a standard 4A offer including further maths and although Im self teaching, the others at my school who do it I hardly know as they spend alot of their time working and given that FM is basically required It just worries me.

Manch will be great but so will Warwick - everywhere is great if its the place youre an undergrad at (or so I hear!) and I'll probably ut Manchester down 1st Warwick 2nd but I might change my mind come July and then maybe change my mind again. Wish I could be more decisive! I'm a synic too so when I ask about places I like to sort out the worst points (for me) and deal myself with the good points...

Thanks for your help
Reply 18
Manchester 1 Warwick 2 isn't very sensible, Warwick (maths) aren't known for being flexible with their offers (it's their only real means of selection in fairness; almost everyone gets an offer), and it's a fair bit higher than Manchester's.

I can't really help with your decision though, I'm one of those antisocial types you speak of.
Reply 19
pyrolol
Manchester 1 Warwick 2 isn't very sensible, Warwick (maths) aren't known for being flexible with their offers (it's their only real means of selection in fairness; almost everyone gets an offer), and it's a fair bit higher than Manchester's.

I can't really help with your decision though, I'm one of those antisocial types you speak of.

My Manch offer is in the bag; should make the Warwick one too so thats not really a roblem - im doing it just so I have the possibility of try to switch again later if I need to.

Latest