The Student Room Group

OCR Law (AS and A2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for that you two.

I really hope Delegated Legislation comes up in Sources. It didn't in January. :smile:
didn't come up last jan either. dunno about june though.
Reply 22
I think it came up in June.

I'm hoping to get at least a C overall for my Law A level, possibly a B. I'm sitting all 4 exams so I have a fair chance.

Does anyone know the best ways to revise the topics without getting confused by the each of them? I'm thinking about using flashcards but I'm not too sure.
I use flash cards for everything, but only for case in law.

i find the best way for law is linear notes, purely because you can write the cases in chronological order so you can see the progression of the law.

If you know your cases well then you should be fine, because everything else falls in around them. make sure you have your own copy of the textbooks so that you can highlight things. It's ok to miss the occasional case out, or not learn it in quite as much detail, just mention it like : "this was also the case in..." just to support your point.
make sure you know every case and what happened in it because scenerios in a2 criminal law are based around one specific case, so if you don't relate to that case you'll drop marks, and same for duress special study make sure you know all the cases in the handout inside out!
The_Goose
I use flash cards for everything, but only for case in law.

i find the best way for law is linear notes, purely because you can write the cases in chronological order so you can see the progression of the law.

If you know your cases well then you should be fine, because everything else falls in around them. make sure you have your own copy of the textbooks so that you can highlight things. It's ok to miss the occasional case out, or not learn it in quite as much detail, just mention it like : "this was also the case in..." just to support your point.

Yeah I have to argee. Your notes should be set in a specifc order so you know what case goes under what area otherwise you would be confused in the exam
Reply 26
Thanks for that guys! :biggrin:

What about the two AS exams? Is there much case knowledge to be needed in those. I'm aware Sources of Law requires some case knowledge.
clefeen206
Thanks for that guys! :biggrin:

What about the two AS exams? Is there much case knowledge to be needed in those. I'm aware Sources of Law requires some case knowledge.

urm yes. lots! get yourself a textbook and get learning
Anyone have any ideas for special study questions this year?
I've revised duress and necessity solidly, so just wondered if anyone had an idea?
Reply 29
jenniewren26
Anyone have any ideas for special study questions this year?
I've revised duress and necessity solidly, so just wondered if anyone had an idea?

Hmmmm I'm not sure. Maybe something a little more interesting that Pommell though. :frown:
Reply 30
gj3
make sure you know every case and what happened in it because scenerios in a2 criminal law are based around one specific case, so if you don't relate to that case you'll drop marks, and same for duress special study make sure you know all the cases in the handout inside out!

Easier said than done! Made a list of all the cases we've done for A2 (not including Theft, Robbery, Burglary and Attempts) this morning, and it came to 167 :s-smilie:
There is no way in hell I'm going to be able to learn all of them, but hey, I'll give it my best shot!

C-
lol the important ones or the ones that are out of the ordinary
Reply 32
The important ones - authorities for various points, leading cases, ones showing the evolution of common law on some areas...

C-
Meg_Lili
Easier said than done! Made a list of all the cases we've done for A2 (not including Theft, Robbery, Burglary and Attempts) this morning, and it came to 167 :s-smilie:
There is no way in hell I'm going to be able to learn all of them, but hey, I'll give it my best shot!

C-

Your lucky you are doing criminal. Im doing contract and a lot of it is based on common law. I think I have about at least 300 cases to learn
Chrisateen
Your lucky you are doing criminal. Im doing contract and a lot of it is based on common law. I think I have about at least 300 cases to learn

Contract law appears to be the easier from what me and my friends have been discussing. Our textbook is way thinner
Reply 35
Chrisateen

Jeeze, and I thought we had it bad with ≈200 :s-smilie: I feel for you!

C-
Reply 36
i am sooo worried about this summer exam. im doing criminal law. i'm just one mark above the "A" boundary follwing all my AS exams as well as my january exam.

so, how would i work out what i need to get in this coming exam?
couture_kid
i am sooo worried about this summer exam. im doing criminal law. i'm just one mark above the "A" boundary follwing all my AS exams as well as my january exam.

so, how would i work out what i need to get in this coming exam?

Overall you need:

A 320/400
B 280/400
C 240/400
D 200/400
E 160/400

For June exam you need:

A 96
B 84
C 72
D 60
E 48

The_Goose
Contract law appears to be the easier from what me and my friends have been discussing. Our textbook is way thinner

Well my Law teacher said that she doesn't do criminal because although it is more interesting it is a lot more complicated and many people will not get the top grades. Its not harder its just more complicated if you get what I mean
Reply 38
Bearing in mind I don't have any idea about the contract course for comparison, I wouldn't say the criminal stuff is exceptionally difficult (well, except one or two points that take a while to get your head around - theft, for example has some iffy bits) but to understand things you have to work through various bits of statute and CL and all the rest of it, so it's long winded at points.
The main problem my class have with it is just the amount of stuff there is to learn, not so much understanding the content.

The upside is you get some great cases to do - some are laughable at how stupid they are, some are gory and some are just plain disgusting (especially with the amount of detail the textbooks go into) still, at least they're memorable!

C-
Reply 39
thanx for the grade boundaries and all!

oh man, i gotta get 95 marks to maintain my A!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending