The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
smilingmaniac
I may carry considerable bias but I think it is an advantage not a disadvantage doing maths or science subjects early.

They don't tend to require additional maturity so, if you're clever enough and it's available to you- WHY NOT?

Doing Arts subjects early is a different matter... but maybe I am still bitter about doing GCSE English Language early and just falling short of an A* despite being told I would "definitely" get one, and reading the examiner's report telling about how "some students did the exam in year 10, which is not advisable as they do not show sufficient levels of maturity at this age...". My english teacher encouraged me to retake it but the examinations officer refused to enter me!

Sorry for straying from the topic...

Exact 100% ditto, I did English Language early and failed to get an A* as the coursework deadlines were messed up and we only had one year to prepare rather than 2.

However starting AS maths in year 10 has given me a huge advantage, as I'm going to be able to have 6 ASs and have a much more thorough grasp of maths before I go to university.
I did all my GCSEs early and it did me no harm, and I'm taking three of my A levels a year early as well. In maths it's all about skills, and in my experience, you can either do it or you can't. If you suck at it when you're 16, chances are you'll still suck at it when you're 17.

But OP, to me it sounds like you CAN do it, judging by your GCSE grade and your C1 mark. And listen, a C may not be what you were hoping for but damn, it's not bad, especially given your age. A little practice and you'll pass that retake with flying colours. :biggrin: So cheer up.
Reply 22
Just throwing this out there: you might want to make sure that wherever you're planning to go to for sixth form runs their maths course with the same board (presuming you want to take maths A level) otherwise you may end up having to do the AS again anyway. I did C1 a year early as well but it was more of a sideline as we had half the amount of lessons and didn't do any homework for it. To be honest, we'd have been better off doing statistics GCSE or additional maths GCSE. sorry if i strayed slightly off topic....
Reply 23
Lingo09
Just throwing this out there: you might want to make sure that wherever you're planning to go to for sixth form runs their maths course with the same board (presuming you want to take maths A level) otherwise you may end up having to do the AS again anyway. I did C1 a year early as well but it was more of a sideline as we had half the amount of lessons and didn't do any homework for it. To be honest, we'd have been better off doing statistics GCSE or additional maths GCSE. sorry if i strayed slightly off topic....

There's a process for transferring your unit marks between boards, providing there's enough commonality in the specifications (that shouldn't be a problem in maths).
Reply 24
that's cool. Just saying that because some of my friends had a bit of trouble when they were making arrangements with sixth forms to do the A2 course in year 12.

Latest