The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Brookes is immobile for students! Bad location!

A friend told me:
If I was to go to brookes, I would do one of two things:
1) I would either live near the campus, away from the city.
2) Or near the city, far from campus.

Making life there harder and more expensive in terms of 'living', 'entertaintment' and having 'everything close by'.

I have no clue how true is that, in reality.
Reply 1
Nasserqa
A friend told me:
If I was to go to brookes, I would do one of two things:
1) I would either live near the campus, away from the city.
2) Or near the city, far from campus.

Making life there harder and more expensive in terms of 'living', 'entertaintment' and having 'everything close by'.

I have no clue how true is that, in reality.

i've been to the uni afew times and its not like that! sure your a little bit out of the city centre, but its a really SMALL city. and its really easy to get a bus to the centre, or you can cycle, or u can just walk- it only takes about 20minutes to walk i think. personally, i like it being a campus uni, its a nicer atmosphere and not as busy. so don't worry about it!!!! its not like going to a london uni, oxford is really small for a city so u r pretty close to everything :biggrin:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Yeah, the city is not too far from the main Gipsy Lane campus... frequent buses all day, and it only takes a short walk as well.
what are u on about?? the location is great! tho admittedly dependes where ur living but in most cases ur not far at all from the uni and only a 15/20 minute bus ride away from the city centre!! and u get a free bus pass ur first year :biggrin:
Reply 4
Your friend, politely speaking, is a fool.

Unless youre out at Wheatley for your lectures, you can easily get down into the city centre on at a minimum off the top of my head about four different buses; one of which is the uni bus (free) or at most 80p with a brookes bus pass (about £200 for the year but included in the cost of hall accomodation for your first year).

Even when not catching a bus, at most youre about 20 minutes from carfax tower (on the corner of the main high street) by cycling and 35 minutes walking. If youre living at paul kent or crescent halls, youre out of the way certainly but a lot closer to cowley center.

In terms of being far from entertainment, thats simply not the case. If you live up near the university youve got the advantage of all the student union stuff; if you live in st clements youve got both SU and cowley road; along cowley road youve got cowley road, and in the city youve got all the city's clubs pubs and shopping, etc.
Reply 5
At Brookes, Nothing ever feels too far away.

Turth.

Unless you live at Wheatly or Harcourt i suppose :[
I will admit Paul Kent and Crescent Halls are out of the way but everywhere else has a great location.

Latest

Trending

Trending