The Student Room Group
I studied this topic last year for AS so I have some knowledge on it, I also studied the unification of Italy and this year im studying France during the early 19th century for
A2. Unfortuantly, I cant remember the books I used and i cant find them on amazon, sorry. Despite this, I think i could answer your questions and give you a hand with this subject because Ive done extra reading around 19th Century Europe.

In relation to the importance of industrial development, I assume you mean the development of railways and the growth of the Krupp and Siemens businesses in the Rhineland. Industrial growth is important to German unification because it allows the Prussian military to have superior weaponary and therefore are able to defeat her enemies. It also makes the Prussian economy richer and therefore she can afford a large armed force. Railways are key to German unification because they enable an increased trade but also because they can be used to manovre troops around quickly.

One historian, JM Keynes stated in his economic history of Unification, "the unification was more a case of coal and iron than blood and iron."
Reply 2
Hey, im doing the Unification of Germany at A2 too! The book we use is quite good, its from the access to history series

"The Unification of Germay 1815 - 1871" by Alan Farmer and Andrina Stiles :smile:

Good luck :smile:
thats the book, i was thinking of, just couldnt remeber who it was written by

Latest

Trending

Trending