The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

NDGAARONDI
So if you spent more time you could get a first! Not sure how Nottingham economics mark first year exams, whether formative or summative. Apparently some like to give you more marks to give you confidence, some take away to give you a kick up the backside. Not saying it's either for you but it's annoying. I had to do an essay on feminism. Great fun...

No idea but the average was just below 60.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 41
prospectivEEconomist
No idea but the average was just below 60.

Does your first year count towards final classification? Usually this only applies to medicine at like 10%. If not you only need above 40% (usually) but if you aim high in the first year it looks good for masters and presumably for internships and so on.
NDGAARONDI
Does your first year count towards final classification? Usually this only applies to medicine at like 10%. If not you only need above 40% (usually) but if you aim high in the first year it looks good for masters and presumably for internships and so on.

it does for internships but why for masters??? And no my first year does not count.
Reply 43
just to clarify, mile end is a dump. what does it have going for it, exactly? (apart from the obvious)
Reply 44
brimstone
Because a lot of teenage on teenage stabbings, as well as muggings and assaults, happen there. There is also a fear of religious extremism.

Wrong part of East London, just cos the news says x happened in East London not all is like that!!!!!! East London includes NE unfortunatly

If people want a horrible area see plumstead, thamesmead
Reply 45
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SIK
known as 'murder mile'

more murders in Croydon than here

oh and I would rather live here than most parts of Nottingham
Reply 46
I went to Mile End once, I also went to Hackney to visit family and at the time I was totally oblivious to the reputation that both those areas had :redface: I didn't particularly think anything of it or feel threatened even though some parts do look a bit 'rough' but I didn't get any trouble or feel threatened. I didn't walk round after dark or anything though but then again I don't think I'd walk around after dark anywhere in London on my own unless I really really had no other choice. Maybe I have just been lucky. I think if I had looked them up and seen some of the things about them I might have been more scared though, I would probably have noticed the bad things more as well. Maybe that influences people, they expect it to be bad so they notice all the horrible things about it.

Also, I agree with the other posters - I did feel a lot more threatened around Kings Cross/Euston Road area and I also didn't know much about those two areas before I first went. I've never had any trouble along Euston Road thankfully but I still don't really like it.

Oh also you know with the olympics, are loads of people getting moved? Where to?
Because there's people every 5 seconds down the road that look like they are about to kill you. Those who follow you closely up the road. Those who nick your money. It's dirty. It's slummy. The shops are a disgrace. It's completely unsafe.
prospectivEEconomist
Because the Nottingham campus is set in a lush green campus and a safe part of Nottingham. It is not in a ******** like mile end. End of. Why do you care so much? You raise this stupid issue up in so many threads. Do you live there?

Because everyone lives on the Nottingham campus for the whole of their degree...
Reply 49
prospectivEEconomist
Because the Nottingham campus is set in a lush green campus and a safe part of Nottingham. It is not in a ******** like mile end. End of. Why do you care so much? You raise this stupid issue up in so many threads. Do you live there?

Did you ever leave the campus? One side is Woodside Rd area, another is Lenton - both horrible places, Beeston is much better but not perfect, Wollaton is a lovely area as well as Beeston Fields.
Too many places in Nottingham I would not step foot in and I grew up there!
Reply 50
Only concentrating on the campuses of universities and not the city as whole is a bit ignorant considering you may have to live out. Belfast and Glasgow have some lush buildings but I imagine the cities are easily off-putting for some students.
NDGAARONDI
LOL. I saw you once for mocking Mile End so I thought it was quite fitting that some smackhead going to Shottingham took the piss. Mile End campus is also nice. Sadly they pale in comparison with the likes of Glasgow, Oxford, Cambridge, even Durham at times. Tbh, I think you're more bothered about this because you're posting this comment on a Friday night. Don't you want to go out get drunk and get a leg over like many other freshers?

I used to live in the Royal Borough if you're that desperate to know.

Mile End is awesome. Won't hear a word said against it. It has character, decent pub(s)/restaraunts, QMW has great buildings, alright it's not as posh as those you mentioned but personally I prefer it to UCL location....plus you are right near the central line and city.
The property prices aren't bad for London too.

Oh and whoever said murder mile--That's Upper Clapton Road in Hackney.
lilangel890
Because there's people every 5 seconds down the road that look like they are about to kill you. Those who follow you closely up the road. Those who nick your money. It's dirty. It's slummy. The shops are a disgrace. It's completely unsafe.

Well as I say I got off at Stepney Green and went to QMW every day and back for 2/3 months, and I never even saw anyone threatening. Not once.
naivesincerity
Well as I say I got off at Stepney Green and went to QMW every day and back for 2/3 months, and I never even saw anyone threatening. Not once.

Yeah so did I. Didn't go to maths masterclasses did you? :P

There were people. Believe me. That road is long enough and has enough 'dodgy' people hanging around.
lilangel890
Yeah so did I. Didn't go to maths masterclasses did you? :P

There were people. Believe me. That road is long enough and has enough 'dodgy' people hanging around.

lol did go to maths classes-trying to get me back on track before degree

But I think it would have been a good few years earlier than you.
Reply 55
naivesincerity
Oh and whoever said murder mile--That's Upper Clapton Road in Hackney.

Whilst there's the issue with media reporting of incidents I still feel Hackney is a worse borough because of issues surrounding social exclusion. I'll have to go to Upper Clapton Road and find a corner girl to errr...I can copy the guy from The Shield (not Mackie, one of his dude's).
NDGAARONDI
Whilst there's the issue with media reporting of incidents I still feel Hackney is a worse borough because of issues surrounding social exclusion. I'll have to go to Upper Clapton Road and find a corner girl to errr...I can copy the guy from The Shield (not Mackie, one of his dude's).

It might be lower clapton road actually. One of those.:smile:
naivesincerity
It might be lower clapton road actually. One of those.:smile:

Yes it's lower clapton I think.
naivesincerity
lol did go to maths classes-trying to get me back on track before degree

But I think it would have been a good few years earlier than you.

May have become worse after you stopped going there. Maths dept's good :yep:
Reply 59
Lived In East-London all my life and I have never been "jacked"!
Only once my car was stolen at knife point ... that's a different story
jk jk

If It was your day to get "jacked" then be It central or Wales It will happen ... no point living life in fear

Latest

Trending

Trending