The Student Room Group

French Toast (Eggy bread) argument...help settle please...

Scroll to see replies

Vice><Versa
Would you put jam on a fried or scrambled egg?

errrr....No

End of.

Yet Jam is an acceptable topping on Pancakes? I don't see your logic? :confused: The way flavours are matched and married together is a personal choice and socially/culturally determined.
noodles!
:eek:

eek, indeed.
I quite like tuna and cheese on mine, and then maybe a sugar coated one for desert if ive made a batch :smile:
And I agree with the pancake comment earlier.
Reply 23
noodles!
Essentially a pancake is eggs and dough fried. Which is what eggy bread is. That's my view anyway :cool:

I get where you're coming from, but eggy bread doesn't really taste like pancakes in my opinion. Maybe it's just the way my parents did it, but eggy bread for me is egg saturated bread that is fried, so it tastes like a fried egg in a bready exterior:biggrin:

Pancakes are more dough-ey than eggy
Reply 24
PhantomBoggler
I quite like tuna and cheese on mine, and then maybe a sugar coated one for desert if ive made a batch :smile:
And I agree with the pancake comment earlier.

:eek:

Tuna & Cheese TOGHETHER?!

:biggrin:
Amandeep_Psych07
A croque monsieur and eggy bread are two different dishes in their own right.

I was unaware croque-monsieur was made with eggy bread?
Oh wow, all this time I was eating a pre-existing dish!
only ever been sugar on top for me
Reply 27
sugar or maple syrup if having it sweet (though may have to try this jam malarky)

a bit of salt and smoked ham (possibly cheese as well) if savoury.

Personal tastes, innit? Not much point arguing about it, each to their own egg & bread combinations, i say.
Reply 28
Blooming heck, am I the only person who eats it as it is?!
If I have it with ketchup I add a bit of salt to the mixture and if I eat it with jam I add quite a bit of sugar. So either way is tasty!
Reply 30
Peach-On-Ice
If I have it with ketchup I add a bit of salt to the mixture and if I eat it with jam I add quite a bit of sugar. So either way is tasty!

You have jam and then add sugar? Do you want diabetes?
Ok, just tried both, and both are pretty weird. But not terrible (I only put a tiny amount of the respective condiments on them though).
tomato ketchup.
Reply 33
ketchup for savoury
sugar for sweet
thats the only way to do it :wink:
Reply 34
Ethelred the Unready
Eggy bread is horrible. ;yucky;

I agree! :wink:
Brown sauce is the best. Although I hate the smell eggy bread leaves behind, so I rarely eat it.
I miss French Toast so much. The idea of putting jam on it is kind of gross though. I've never seen that done at home (US), where people seem to call it French Toast (most people I've talked to here don't know what it is).

At home I would put light butter on it, or maple syrup (which, again, isn't popular here). I've never heard of jam or tomato ketchup being put on it. The idea of tomato ketchup actually repulses me, in a way.

French Toast is made to be sweet, with vanilla, some light cinnamon, and milk added to the egg.

It depends on how you like it, I guess, but I'm fairly certain the traditional way to eat it is with maple syrup, butter, or both.
Reply 37
omg i havent had eggy bread in YEARS. how do you make it again??

oh and neither. ketchup and jam are both nasty. salad cream all the way wooooo
Reply 38
no hero in her sky
I didn't say you did. But in another thread today someone suggested putting ketchup on salad, and someone else suggested putting it in pasta. That is what makes me feel sick. And then I read this thread - hence the comment.

No sooner would I put ketchup on a fried or scrambled egg, personally... :s-smilie:

I agree with you. Ketchup in salad/pasta?! Ewwwwwwww.

I don't eat eggs apart from in pain perdu/eggy bread/French toast/whatever you want to call it, so can't really pass judgment there, but yeah, that sounds gross too.

Let us consult wikipedia, for wikipedia knows all:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggy_bread

Conclusion: it is primarily sweet, but is often eaten as a savoury dish.

bumblebee_em

oh and neither. ketchup and jam are both nasty. salad cream all the way wooooo

also gross.
Weird, I was just reading that (the Wikipedia article).

The mozarella in carriage sounds interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest