The Student Room Group

French Toast (Eggy bread) argument...help settle please...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
On its own, or with ketchup.
Reply 61
catbee
Ok, so my friend and I are having an argument. :mad:

He says that the above snack should be eaten smothered in Jam

I say it has to be tomato ketchup, and that to put jam on eggy bread is rank, am I alone in this? Or is he the strange one!? :confused:

Jam??? What? Jam? Don't be silly. lol ;yucky;
kitchup or brown sauce.
anyone that suggests different must be shot!
Reply 63
Jam is sick to put on top of eggy bread!
Loads of tomato sauce :biggrin:
Reply 64
catbee
Ok, so my friend and I are having an argument. :mad:

He says that the above snack should be eaten smothered in Jam

I say it has to be tomato ketchup, and that to put jam on eggy bread is rank, am I alone in this? Or is he the strange one!? :confused:

You're both weird, it's meant to be eaten with crispy bacon and maple syrup, just like pancakes.

But I'll accept anything sweet.
Reply 65
Debussy
You're both weird, it's meant to be eaten with crispy bacon and maple syrup, just like pancakes.

But I'll accept anything sweet.

WTH? That's like having sugar on your scrambled eggs on toast.
Reply 66
Debussy
Have you ever had breakfast at an american diner? They have french toast with sausage and bacon and put maple syrup over THE WHOLE LOT.

When I first saw it I wanted to vom, but I tried it and its actually really really nice!

Now maple syrup is my second favourite thing to put on a smoky bacon sandwich (after ketchup, obviously)

That sounds horrible.
Reply 67
Ketchup! Otherwise sugar :smile:
Reply 68
Amandeep_Psych07
A croque monsieur and eggy bread are two different dishes in their own right.

Croque-monsieur has no egg in it ;sandhu;, it's made with ham and cheese. But if you put an egg on it, then, it's called a Croque-madame, lol.
But at least I know how to say pain perdu in English, lol, quite interesting ^^.
SillyFencer
WTH? That's like having sugar on your scrambled eggs on toast.

No it's not at all. If the two foods taste the same, why would someone choose to have french toast instead of scrambled eggs, or vice versa?

The eggs are beaten (and mixed with other liquids, as described above) and poured into a wide, shallow bowl. Individual slices of bread are then dipped into the egg mixture and flipped, so both sides are evenly coated. If desired, the bread may be left to soak briefly to absorb more of the mixture; however, too much soaking will make the bread fall apart, which is why some cooks prefer to use bread that is closer to the end of its shelf-life. The slices of egg-coated bread are then placed on a frying pan or griddle prepared with a coat of butter, and cooked until both sides are browned and the egg has cooked through.[1] A substitute such as Egg Beaters can be used in place of whole eggs. Additionally, a liberal sprinkling of premixed cinnamon sugar may be applied prior to frying. Some people use nutmeg as well.

The cooked slices are usually served with jam, butter, peanut butter, and maple syrup, though they can also be served with fruit syrup, apple sauce, whipped cream, chocolate, sugar, powdered sugar, or nuts such as pecans.

Reply 70
no hero in her sky
No it's not at all. If the two foods taste the same, why would someone choose to have french toast instead of scrambled eggs, or vice versa?

I said it's like that, not that it's the same as that.
But how? They're totally different. You would have ketchup in a bacon sandwich but not in a turkey sandwich, even though they're both made with bread - is that weird too?!
Reply 72
no hero in her sky
But how? They're totally different. You would have ketchup in a bacon sandwich but not in a turkey sandwich, even though they're both made with bread - is that weird too?!

I wouldn't ;no; Ketchup is ;yucky; lol
Even on chips and burgers?

I wouldn't eat chips with anything but, but the thought of excessive ketchup or ketchup on things that don't go with ketchup (ie french toast) is nauseating for some reason.
Reply 74
no hero in her sky
Even on chips and burgers?

I wouldn't eat chips with anything but, but the thought of excessive ketchup or ketchup on things that don't go with ketchup (ie french toast) is nauseating for some reason.

On anything ;yucky;

I like brown sauce though :smile: But yeah, I'm really fussy with what it goes on.
Bahhh. French toast has always been a firmly SWEET food for me.

I always make it with vanilla-infused/muscavado sugar, saffron, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Reply 76
Maple syrup and sliced banana. Hell yeah!
Reply 77
The best way is mozzarella in carozza. Make a mozzarella sandwich, coat it in egg and milk and flour, and fry :biggrin: Gorgeous gooey-ness!
Reply 78
I've never heard of putting either jam or tomato sauce on French toast. :s-smilie: My experience is that Americans put cinnamon in the mixture and have it with maple syrup. I'd just have it as it comes, well seasoned and with more butter than is strictly healthy. :biggrin:

Pity it makes me ill.
abc101
The best way is mozzarella in carozza. Make a mozzarella sandwich, coat it in egg and milk and flour, and fry :biggrin: Gorgeous gooey-ness!

Oooh, wow. That's worth a try. Might add a touch of garlic too.

Quick Reply

Latest