The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

PinkStar08
Just wondering which is better as I've just made Leeds my firm, is it better to be near to the campus or near to the city?

Thanks!:smile:

As most live in Headingley- if you're near to one you're near to the other, as they're in a line... Headingley, Campus, Town... And it really doesn't matter. Buses are good and most people live in the same area, plus it isn't far to town from campus.

xx
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Near to campus so you don't have to get up too early for lectures :p:
Reply 3
Fleece
Near to campus so you don't have to get up too early for lectures :p:

EXACTLY I love getting up 10 minutes before a seminar, campus fo' sure !

anyway the campus is only 10-15 minutes away from the city centre so either is okay :p:
There isn't really any accom that is nearer the city than campus, apart from maybe Clarence Dock (although I just learned its a 20 minute walk from the station, so I dunno!). The campus is literally a 10 minute walk from the centre anyway.

The majority of students live in Hyde Park/Headingley, which is the opposite direction from campus (i.e. away from the city) but I'd definitely recommend it.
Reply 5
messynessie
As most live in Headingley- if you're near to one you're near to the other, as they're in a line... Headingley, Campus, Town... And it really doesn't matter. Buses are good and most people live in the same area, plus it isn't far to town from campus.

xx

You live in Stevenage? I went to Barnwell and NHC, where abouts do you go?

I think you should live as close to the uni as possible, you save on bus passes and time that way. Travelling in from Headingley is a real biatch in the mornings, sometimes it can take 45 mins + to get get in and home.
I lived in James Baillie. The walk through Hyde Park was really refreshing in the morning. Only about 15 minutes as well.

Though I always half-envied my friends who lived in Henry Price who could get up 5 minutes before the lecture started and still be early >_<
The campus is basically in the city, it takes about 5 min walk down the road till you start getting to the shops.

I would recommend living in Headingley in your first year, its got a good social atmosphere there and is very well connected with the bus routes, if you have a weekly/termly bus pass then you'll find it very easy to get into uni/town and back again in the early hours of the morning without spending on taxis

Its basically a straight road (Woodhouse Lane) so you don't need to stress about bus numbers and what bus goes where, they all go up and down to town and Headingley. Lupton provides teh best value for money and location IMO.
Reply 8
Ugh, why would you want to live in Headingley in first year?! It's so much hassle getting there and back on a bus when it's prime traffic time.
if you are an 'it girl', like Fleece or Chelsey Davy, then the University provides on campus Halls of Residence or even private chauffeurs, so you don't have to mix with the minions on public transport
MagicNMedicine
The campus is basically in the city, it takes about 5 min walk down the road till you start getting to the shops.

I would recommend living in Headingley in your first year, its got a good social atmosphere there and is very well connected with the bus routes, if you have a weekly/termly bus pass then you'll find it very easy to get into uni/town and back again in the early hours of the morning without spending on taxis

Its basically a straight road (Woodhouse Lane) so you don't need to stress about bus numbers and what bus goes where, they all go up and down to town and Headingley. Lupton provides teh best value for money and location IMO.

Although you conveniently forget that a year bus pass costs about £300...
Elipsis
You live in Stevenage? I went to Barnwell and NHC, where abouts do you go?

I think you should live as close to the uni as possible, you save on bus passes and time that way. Travelling in from Headingley is a real biatch in the mornings, sometimes it can take 45 mins + to get get in and home.

Haha cool, I went to Thomas Alleynes but I did French at Barnwell in year 12 and 13... and now I'm at Leeds :smile: Are you? Small world.

xx
fake plastic love

Or you can buy three termly bus passes which will come to about £210.
fake plastic love

how much does a years worth of taxis cost?
I didnt get the years pass because its not worth it unless you live in Leeds for the full year, you can just get term pass or weeklies, it works out cheaper if you then use the bus for all your transport, including to and from nights out....taxis into town are about 6 or 7 pounds each way.
Reply 14
messynessie
Haha cool, I went to Thomas Alleynes but I did French at Barnwell in year 12 and 13... and now I'm at Leeds :smile: Are you? Small world.

xx

Yeah, i'm in year 2 of history. Leeds is at least 1000 times better than Stevenage!
Reply 15
Sorry if this sounds dumb but is henry price in headingly?
Reply 16
No, it's on campus practically.
Reply 17
oh OK. That would have been my first choice but the headlingly area did look nice and v. social when i went to visit. Is it a disadvantage not being there?
Reply 18
I wouldn't say so at all. There's many advantages to not living that far away.

Headingley is more for 2nd or 3rd years. May as well have some fun close to uni/town while you're in first year.
Reply 19
Ah ok yer thats true. Henry price does look really good.!

Latest