The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Derwent? They wear clogs. Or so the song goes.

Goodrickers are hard as nails.

James are Toffs.

I know nothing about other colleges.
University of York
York
Reply 21
is it true that James and Alcuin favour those who have had a gap year, as they get to apply earlier?????!!! x
Reply 22
is it true that James and Alcuin favour those who have had a gap year, as they get to apply earlier?????!!! x

Probably not, since it all depends on what sort of accomodation people want (James and Alcuin are majority en-suite, 33 week lets).
Reply 23
Is the en-suite better in James or Alcuin?

I read James is like a wetroom..and Alcuin have baths?
Reply 24
One block in Alcuin has baths, the other blocks are just bog standard ensuites, probably wet room types (all-in-one pods are the best way to describe them)
slugonamission
You can't apply to one college

can you not write which college you prefer, on your application form???
my brother is studying at birmingham, and i know he was able to do that
Reply 26
Nope. You can say that you'd prefer to be in a certain college, but unless you have a really good reason, they won't take any notice.
Reply 27
People on a gap year, people on clearing, etc. don't apply any earlier than everyone else. They group people into the different colleges depending on what preferences they tick, e.g. all the non-smokers in Halifax, and some houses/blocks will be designated "quiet areas" (yeah, right... :rolleyes:) for those that say they want a quiet environment.

I'm not sure what process they use to decide who gets en-suite or not, but given it's always massively oversubscribed, could well be just names out of a hat...
Reply 28
I remember there was some really weird options on my accommodation forms, like "do you require en-suite for religious bathing reasons?" yet there wasnt a box to tick if you just wanted en-suite because it would be nice.
Needless to say i know lots of people who lied through their teeth to get better accommodation.
lol, we just had tickboxes on the front page for ensuite or standard :p:
Reply 30
Dez
People on a gap year, people on clearing, etc. don't apply any earlier than everyone else. They group people into the different colleges depending on what preferences they tick, e.g. all the non-smokers in Halifax, and some houses/blocks will be designated "quiet areas" (yeah, right... :rolleyes:) for those that say they want a quiet environment.

I'm not sure what process they use to decide who gets en-suite or not, but given it's always massively oversubscribed, could well be just names out of a hat...

We get our application forms earlier than those waiting for their A level results, I know that much.
Would a good reason for wanting a certain college be that your mum went there?? And I've got to look to see if her graffiti is still up.
Reply 32
You could put it down, but I doubt it'd make a difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending