Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will his Student ID be enough for Natwest?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My bf is changing from HSBC to Natwest (HSBC refused him for a student credit card which IMHO is ridiculous, esp. when he's never been more than £100 in his overdraft and has £2000 of savings with them). We've got an appt in branch tomorrow to open a student account there for him, will his student ID card from uni be enough proof to open the account? He's a 2nd year so doesn't have his proof of acceptance letter or anything from UCAS anymore. Or how about a student finance entitlement letter?

Thanks for any help you can provide
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Barclays refused to give me any student overdraft on my student account because i had some savings with them. Pathetic!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear....
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm I dunno, I would think you'd need drivers license or passport.

I needed student and normal ID for mine. Hope you can sort it out
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    When i tried opening an account from HSBC, i needed to get the uni to write up a letter confirming that i was a student there. I don't know if its the same at all banks, but if it is, then the student finance entitlement letter wont be enough unfortunately.

Edit: Student ID may be enough, but it depends what sort. mine wasn't accepted as proof.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just googled a bit and came across this

Looks like you need two different pieces of ID - one photo ID (so his student ID should be fine) and a proof of address (so I guess the student finance entitlement letter would be appropriate for that, if not a bank statement or mobile bill).
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take as many as you can. I think they would accept a letter from the uni - like one confirming module choices etc? - so student finance should be ok, too.

But he'll need the usual proof of address and passport as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Opening an account in a Natwest branch is harder than doing it via the internet and sending off the proof.

However:
    Minimum ID for UK students:
    • Photo ID
    • Proof of address
    His Student ID proves student status and is valid Photo ID. He just needs proof of address
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you have misunderstood me. I know he will need passport and driving license, we have those. And bank statement from HSBC with his address. I am just concerned about the proof of being a student bit
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iTalya)
    Sorry you have misunderstood me. I know he will need passport and driving license, we have those. And bank statement from HSBC with his address. I am just concerned about the proof of being a student bit
    Yeah, that's fine then.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Natwest would know. Ask them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    he can ask the central administration service at his uni to print and authorise a statement which says he's a student. it's usually on letter-headed paper and signed on behalf of (pp) the registrar
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I think Natwest would know. Ask them?
    Yeah obv. I will call the branch in the morning before we leave, but since they are closed now I thought I would see if anyone on TSR had opened a Natwest Student account in branch!

Crazy me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    he can ask the central administration service at his uni to print and authorise a statement which says he's a student. it's usually on letter-headed paper and signed on behalf of (pp) the registrar
    Good idea. But it won't be registry services who do it, it'll be his academic school office. You can call Registry and they'll be able to put you through to someone however Reg will be SUPER busy when we re-open on Weds.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah not going with Natwest now, going with Halifax because they give you 25% off AA Membership and he uses his motorbike more than the train.

Hopefully student ID will be enough for Halifax
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iTalya)
    My bf is changing from HSBC to Natwest (HSBC refused him for a student credit card which IMHO is ridiculous, esp. when he's never been more than £100 in his overdraft and has £2000 of savings with them).
    Just randomly: I had my student account with NatWest and they refused me for a student credit card. My local branch were somewhat mystified, so I applied again with my branch's recommendation and still got refused. So I got a student Barclaycard, and wrote in to NatWest saying "why on earth did you refuse me for a student card, when I have no credit history at all, just like 95% of students? Stupid policy. But don't worry - I've got a Barclaycard now instead." Sure enough, a week later, they sent me a credit card. :-/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 24, 2008
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.