The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You certainly need to brush up on your Elizabeth Gaskell. *sniff* :rolleyes: :tongue:
platinumki
You certainly need to brush up on your Elizabeth Gaskell. *sniff* :rolleyes: :tongue:

Yeah I need to brush up on pretty much everyone!
Reply 22
englishstudent
And if they don't let me go part-time? (which is likely).

I know it doesn't revolve around Cambridge, but let's face it, I turned down a great university to give me another shot at the best university - isn't it then worth a little bit more effort?

Also, I would spend the majority of the time as I did at school (ie. reading but also doing other things). Put it this way - I'm not going to lock myself away for two months doing nothing but studying.

It's your funeral. Personally I think it's unhealthy to quit this far ahead, but I obviously can't change your mind. Do it if you will, and good luck. I'd never go that far just for the sake of being here though.
Helenia
It's your funeral. Personally I think it's unhealthy to quit this far ahead, but I obviously can't change your mind. Do it if you will, and good luck. I'd never go that far just for the sake of being here though.

Ok, well thanks for the advice.

I haven't totally decided yet. I think I'll ask for reduced hours initially.
Reply 24
If you're enthusiastic enough as it is, then you're probably doing plenty of preparation anyway, I don't really see the point in giving up a job that will be so worthwhile in the long run. I juggled my job and A-levels last year, but I did give it up briefly over the exam period to simply not be so tired all the time (bar work therefore late nights). Your interview is months off, don't give it up just yet, if at all! I'm sure they'll understand your reasons if you want to cut down your hours and after all, time management is an important thing to learn!
Reply 25
There is being prepared, and then there is overkill. For my interview, I am going to finish reading the book I am currently going through, I will have a single mock interview if the school allows it, to get feedback, and I will be thinking about the real reasons I am going for this course and Cam.

I think you should try to cut down your hours if it exhausts you, but you should not be revising for an interview. You are a very intelligent person, have more faith in yourself and let things go as they will. If you come across as robotic, they won't like it.
Thanks.

I am going to sleep on it. I don't want to become obsessive about the whole thing... I do want to give myself the best chance and I think that will involve sorting out a balance. At the moment, I feel that full time work is taking up too much of my time and reading not enough. At the end of the day it's also about doing what I enjoy to a certain extent - and that is reading (as well as other stuff work is limiting at the moment).
How much preparation can you possible do for an interview? 2 months is a bloody long time, are you sure you'd be able to get as much out of it as possible by just preparing? Maybe cut back your hours and as Helen suggested take the week before off; I wouldn't say it's sensible to prepare for an interview 2 months in advance.
Reply 28
englishstudent
Thanks.

I am going to sleep on it. I don't want to become obsessive about the whole thing... I do want to give myself the best chance and I think that will involve sorting out a balance. At the moment, I feel that full time work is taking up too much of my time and reading not enough. At the end of the day it's also about doing what I enjoy to a certain extent - and that is reading (as well as other stuff work is limiting at the moment).

book your leave for interview week/weeks now. you'll have time to recooperate from work as well as preparing for the interview.
Reply 29
Don't quit just yet, but keep it in mind. It is not worth sacrificing your place here just for some money. You wil probably need more time to warm up for the interview than students still at school because you will be a bit rusty. Equally, as many people have pointed out, you don't want to over prepare. It's a bit early to start worrying, but if in a month's time you feel you aren't well enough prepared, then drop you job and spend four weeks reading - it should be more than enough (I wish I could read solidly for 4 weeks in term time!).
Reply 30
englishstudent
And if they don't let me go part-time? (which is likely).

I know it doesn't revolve around Cambridge, but let's face it, I turned down a great university to give me another shot at the best university - isn't it then worth a little bit more effort?

Also, I would spend the majority of the time as I did at school (ie. reading but also doing other things). Put it this way - I'm not going to lock myself away for two months doing nothing but studying.

First, studying for two months for interviews is ridiculous, I did two evenings at max. If you're not enjoying your job then quit it, but don't make cambridge the excuse then sit around wasting your time!

Cambridge may be the best (and indeed it is :wink:) but the gap isn't sooooo large that you should mess up lots of other things for it! I imagine a month's (or two's) pay could buy something nice or a holiday or something, would you sacrifice that to sit and study!

Alaric.
Reply 31
I seriously doubt whether doing two months of reading preparation would improve your chances that much. You can only be asked about so much in the interview! I don't think it would be useful to try to 'fill in gaps' that you're unsure about when you're more likely to be questioned on the interests expressed in your personal statement.

At Queens', I had one short (30 min) interview. I was asked about topics we were doing at A-level, then a couple of things from my statement, and finally was given the unseen poem to analyse. I did a good deal of preparatory reading, and listed dozens of interests on my statement, which there simply wasn't time to discuss! There was no 'general knowledge' element to the interview except when I was asked to date the poem.

I had a friend interviewed at Trinity, whose process seemed much more extensive (group interview, etc.). Still, he wasn't given a timeline of authors to put in order, or something like that (but was handed a list of words and asked to choose five to define). Apparently, they discussed his submitted work, then asked him "What would you like to talk about?".

After all, they'll admit people due to the manner in which they discuss things, and how well they argue, not due to their knowledge of an arbitrary canon (which is too large to have taken in comprehensively at our age anyway!).

I think you'd be better staying on in your job - two months without anything to do but worry over a couple of hours of conversation does not sound healthy! You sound well read, and certainly will have a wider general knowledge than most other people there. It would be more important to get to know the interests you've discussed on your statement thoroughly, and to read up on practical criticism, etc. And, of course, to practise discussing literature with people face-to-face.

(This said, I voted 'yes' in the poll by accident!)
I say stick with the job. You'll feel really shit if you give it up (and give up all that lovely money you'll get from overtime over christmas) and then don't get into Cam.

MB
Werther
I seriously doubt whether doing two months of reading preparation would improve your chances that much. You can only be asked about so much in the interview! I don't think it would be useful to try to 'fill in gaps' that you're unsure about when you're more likely to be questioned on the interests expressed in your personal statement.

At Queens', I had one short (30 min) interview. I was asked about topics we were doing at A-level, then a couple of things from my statement, and finally was given the unseen poem to analyse. I did a good deal of preparatory reading, and listed dozens of interests on my statement, which there simply wasn't time to discuss! There was no 'general knowledge' element to the interview except when I was asked to date the poem.

I had a friend interviewed at Trinity, whose process seemed much more extensive (group interview, etc.). Still, he wasn't given a timeline of authors to put in order, or something like that (but was handed a list of words and asked to choose five to define). Apparently, they discussed his submitted work, then asked him "What would you like to talk about?".

After all, they'll admit people due to the manner in which they discuss things, and how well they argue, not due to their knowledge of an arbitrary canon (which is too large to have taken in comprehensively at our age anyway!).

I think you'd be better staying on in your job - two months without anything to do but worry over a couple of hours of conversation does not sound healthy! You sound well read, and certainly will have a wider general knowledge than most other people there. It would be more important to get to know the interests you've discussed on your statement thoroughly, and to read up on practical criticism, etc. And, of course, to practise discussing literature with people face-to-face.

(This said, I voted 'yes' in the poll by accident!)

i second this. don't give up your job in order to memorise your dictionary of literary terms. (if you're anything like as neurotic as i am) you'll have a nervous breakdown. also it's unlikely to particularly benefit you- it seems to me that they are at interview testing you on abstract ability which you can't spend 2 months acquiring.

eg my interview. i had been studying keats for as-level and tried to impress them by dropping some dates of a few poems by coleridge that i had been reading about, which they angrily brushed off screaming SUCK UP. i did piles of swotting up before the interview- they quite clearly expected me to have done this, disdained me for it and wanted to see what i could actually do rather than what i knew. so rather than allowing me to do my pre-cooked coleridge spiel i ended up making some stuff up about bach which seemed to do the trick. that is, something nicely random that i hadn't thought about before.

that said you are likely to have to date a poem (which isn't difficult if you listen to the divine comedy attentively enough :wink: ). although this poem dating business doesn't seem too important- my mate got into st hugh's oxford by asserting that a shakespeare sonnet was written by yeats. figures...
Reply 34
UndiscoverdSelf

that said you are likely to have to date a poem (which isn't difficult if you listen to the divine comedy attentively enough :wink: ). although this poem dating business doesn't seem too important- my mate got into st hugh's oxford by asserting that a shakespeare sonnet was written by yeats. figures...

Indeed - I got mine wrong! Not quite that badly, though... I said it was 19th Century, due to language and form, but put it at the wrong end of the century as it didn't strike me as being "romantic". It was by Wordsworth. Though we then had a discussion concerning preconceptions about romanticism, why I'd thought what I had, and agreed that the poem was not 'romantic'.
Reply 35
At my interview they seemed more interested in finding out how I dealt with things that I didn't know than those that I did. No amount of preparation could have lead me to read up on Michael Moore for a Classics interview!
Reply 36
I really wouldn't if I were you. I kept my job until April of my A2 year and it didn't affect my interviews.

One thing that really is true about the Cambridge interview is that you never can be prepared. I did a quick bit of grammar revision the night before my interview, and read a few Russian books in the months beforehand, but other than that, nothing I could have done would have prepared me for what they asked.

Latest

Trending

Trending