The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah
Hi, got broadband at uni recently, v fast 1.5 meg a second and i want to download films except p2p is banned and i was wondering if there was anything i could use to stop them from detecting me?

i don't think there is anything that can stop them monitoring/detecting network usage.

if you do find anything though, tell me please :smile:
download legally
Reply 3
They will be able to monitor traffic no matter what you do, and of course they will have software monitoring adnormal bandwidth usage. The JANET regulations are very strict and ilegal P2P sharing is strictly probiden.
Reply 4
Nope, there's not a lot you can do. If they're using decent logging tools, there's no way you can stop it, short of crashing their servers. Not a good idea though ...
Reply 5
The only way you can download is through direct links site like www.big-dl.com but must of these sites are dodgy and don't work.
Reply 6
how come when im using bittorrent or other filesharing utilities, i get quite a few .ac.uk computers sharing too? dont they come under JANET's jurisdiction?
Reply 7
im on JANET in my hall, but there doesnt seem to be any restrictions - everyon on my floor was playing counter strike a few days ago over the net. however at other universities, even IM programs are not allowed :confused:
Reply 8
Quiksilver
im on JANET in my hall, but there doesnt seem to be any restrictions - everyon on my floor was playing counter strike a few days ago over the net. however at other universities, even IM programs are not allowed :confused:

Yeah, it depends on your SysAdmin. Technically, you only get 'net access for work related to your degree course. However, most will allow you to use IM or play games. It just depends which ports are unblocked.

Latest