The Student Room Group

Pink hair???????

I know its a little cliche, what with a lot of girls dying their hair bright pink, but im itching to try it.

Problem is i have midlength hair that hasn't been cut since last August and its been through hair dye hell. I have about 3inches of regrowth but the rest of my hair is brown/purple/auburn and dark.

Obviously i'd get my hair cut, but should i go to a salon or try doing the dye at home? Do i need bleach etc?
basically your hair would need to be bleached to a light shade of blonde, pref platinum if you want a really bright pink. If you've got colour on the ends (especially old permanents) then these might need to be bleached upto 5 times to get all the colour out, and by then you probably wouldn't have much hair left! You then need to put a pink semi-permanent ontop of the hair once its been bleached and dried, the colour fades super quick so expect to be redoing it every two weeks ish depending on how often you do your hair. I think you're better off just going to a weave shop, getting some platinum blonde hair and dying it with semi-permanent pink, stick two clips on either side and clip it into your hair so it looks like you have a block of colour, thats what I do (much better for your hair aswell)
Reply 2
i got purple in my hair back in the summer of 2006.. the first bleached in blonde and then put the colour in... mind you the colour doesnt last that long, about 2/3 months for me, then it was just blonde for the rest of the time.. and whenever you wash your hair more colour will come out.
I used to have pink and red hair (at different times) and I did it myself. I also did my boyfriends hair. Its not difficult to do, and will save you alot of money if you feel confident doing it.
I bought a home bleaching kit, and some semi permenant colour and it came to less than £10. Significantly less than a hairdresser would charge. Make sure you follow instructions though, dont leave bleach on for too long etc. Also make sure you have an exact idea of what you want to do before you start out doing it.

A couple of pics of my hair when it was like that just so you can see what a home job looks like.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Thanks! =]
Reply 5
louisedotcom

A couple of pics of my hair when it was like that just so you can see what a home job looks like.

Spoiler

Ooohhh...your hair is SO nice in these pics, the colour is gorgeous, did you really do that yourself?? :eek:

Looks amazing! :biggrin:
catbee
Ooohhh...your hair is SO nice in these pics, the colour is gorgeous, did you really do that yourself?? :eek:

Looks amazing! :biggrin:

Wow thanks :blush:

Yeah I did it myself, Im far too much of a cheap skate to go to the hairdressers for it lol
Im also too paranoid that I wont explain what I want properly and hairdressers will do something that I dont like :s-smilie:
Reply 7
You'll definitely need to bleach it, but I'd go to the hairdresser especially seeing as you've got root growth and quite a dark colour on anyhow, you don't want to end up ginger. Doing the actual pink yourself will save you money and you tend not to be able to get the really bright pinks in the hairdressers anyhoo. My pink washes out in a couple of months but a pot is only around a fiver and lasts for ages...but I don't do a whole head dye, just a block in my fringe.
Reply 8

Hopefully not like this though :p:

Avril looks good with pink hair :smile:

I really wouldn't recommend doing it. It's fun at first, but once everyone's seen it once and you've seen their reactions, it gets old pretty quickly. And it's hell to fade out, because it fades to orange. Not to mention the fact that you'll probably have to either grow out the bleach or dye your hair a really dark colour to get rid of it.

I did highlights when I was 15. I'm very, very glad I didn't do my whole head.
I'm getting the feeling i should just try blonde first and see how i feel.. maybe try a few wash-in dyes/semi permanent colours on the blonde.

I have copper in my natural hair too so the chance of ending up ginger is always pretty high =]
You will need bleach if you want it to go bright pink, and colour on top of bleached hair will last way longer. Reading the description of your hair, it'll probably take more than one bleaching.

If you go for it, use Special Effects. In my opinion it's the only semi permanent dye worth buying, miles better than Directions etc. It's longer lasting [probably 2 months until you'll need to think about redying it], and fades evenly to really pretty colours [not orange :p:]

My hair is currently a darkish pink, see my profile picture. :smile:
I'd go for it :smile: I wanted blue hair for so long, but I might just get underneath done once I've finished school :biggrin:
I used to have pink hair, many years ago (pre-children)
My hubby (we weren't married then) used to dye it for me. I miss my pink hair.

Kätzchen
You will need bleach if you want it to go bright pink, and colour on top of bleached hair will last way longer. Reading the description of your hair, it'll probably take more than one bleaching.

If you go for it, use Special Effects. In my opinion it's the only semi permanent dye worth buying, miles better than Directions etc. It's longer lasting [probably 2 months until you'll need to think about redying it], and fades evenly to really pretty colours [not orange :p:]

My hair is currently a darkish pink, see my profile picture. :smile:

Wow, that is very pink! :biggrin: Special Effects? I've never heard of them, to be honest the brands i know are only Live Colour or Garnier Nutrisse. Do they sell in Superdrug, Asda etc or are they discreet?
You've all got lovely pink hair, its making me itch to dye mine!:biggrin:
IndelibleBlack
Wow, that is very pink! :biggrin: Special Effects? I've never heard of them, to be honest the brands i know are only Live Colour or Garnier Nutrisse. Do they sell in Superdrug, Asda etc or are they discreet?

It's an American brand, and only available in the UK through BeeUnique.

To see pictures of the results people get with SE see here and here. :biggrin:
Kätzchen
It's an American brand, and only available in the UK through BeeUnique.

To see pictures of the results people get with SE see here and here. :biggrin:

Oh wow! So many pretty colours to choose from! The bleaching thing worrys' me though, thinks i might go to the salon for that :biggrin: Thankyou! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Can you not get a temporary wash-in, wash-out pink coloured hair dye to try out/experiment? Or is that not possible?
I have no idea, but i get the feeling i'd still need very light blonde, or bleached hair for a decent effect, bring out the colour more etc. I'll have a snoop =].

Latest