The Student Room Group

Need urgent advice

Hi everyone im just writing to find out some advice from people doing medicine already and wat to do.

IM currently studying at the university of sheffield doing environmental science. Im in the first year and am considering changing to medicine. Becasue sheffield has a pre-med foundation year im not sure what i should do.

Whether i should change courses to medicine and hope they accept me, or change courses to pre-med where theres a higher chance they will accept me.

I got AABD at a-level. AA in geography and geology a B in biology and D in chemistry, i got AAAA at As level in all of them.
Unfortunately due to family issues i didnt perform aswell as i might and only did half of my a-level chemistry exam thats why i got a D.
I got accepted to do medical biochemistry last year but declined it, and took up environemtal science this year instead, but i want to go back to doing a medical pathway. wat should i do????

I have a very good sporting background, tajking part in many county sports and performed in regional athletics etc , my work experinece at gcse was in a hsopital and work shadowing at a-level was in an environment agency. And worked in charty shops

Ive always had an interest in helping things thats why i started doing an environmental science degree.

Im just wondering wat my chances will be to get into medicince as i have a crap chemistry mark at a-level or whether i should do pre-med instead, or maybe apply to both and wait and see.
Reply 1
basically what i want to know is if its still possible to change to premed now or is it too late. im just changing course not uni?
Thanks
The simplest thing to do is simply call the uni. They'll tell you. Though turning down a medical option beforehand might not help you. However as I understand it, that was at a different uni, so should be fine.
Reply 3
From what I have known, pre med courses are for people who dont have science A-levels but want to studey medicine, not for those who have science A-levels but didn't achieve AAB in them.

You could consider post grad medicine, although I have never heard people go on doing medicine from a environmental sciecne degree.

By all means, call the med school and explain your exceptional circumstances, see what they say.
Reply 4
the only people who are going to be able to answer that is the admissions staff!! Ive got a place to study A104 at sheffield for '08 and i know there are only 18places on the course..so you would probably have to wait till next year to apply!! Im studying BTEC sport science atm, and also a biology A level, however i also studied chemistry to As in my first year (3rd year now), and got a U as i missed all the coursework and didnt want to do the exam (personal probs)...so i kinda do have a science background...but i think u should talk to the admissions staff, as they will be able to tell u exactely! :biggrin:

Latest