The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

gooseymcgoose
there is but most people @ ents are not from clare.

when they take away our jcr, make loads of noise in old court, and majority of the benefits accrue to people outside of college, what's the point?

So Clare Sound can make money out of Clare Ents? :wink:
ooh, do they buy much equipment? how much?
gooseymcgoose
ooh, do they buy much equipment? how much?

We've not bought new shiny kit for ages, even though we've meant to. Meh, I'll do some shopping after Finals to leave them in good stead.

At the moment, we're looking to buy a dimmer pack and a load of PARs, as well as some sort of ceiling attachment system thing. Some more moving lights would be nice too. First thing, though, is replacing/repairing all the knackered old DJ-broken stuff!

Give me a nice comedy or jazz night in cellars over DnB anyday.....
what's the monetary value of that?
Lots! Seriously, it does vary, but we probably spend a hundred, maybe a hundred-fifty, every term on consumables like bulbs and gaffer and electrical tape, and maybe once a year spend £400+ on new kit; bought a £900 Allen and Heath new DJ mixer at the start of the year. It's not completely wrecked yet.... Maybe not as much as Queens or the other big places, but then Cellars is a very harsh environment for kit and we've got our hands full keeping things working.
Reply 45
The Queens' Ents bill for gaffer tape is enormous. You wouldn't believe just how much gaffer tape can cost until you're using the luminous stuff to decorate your hall with.
Reply 46
Haha, most of which ended up wrapped around my wrists and plastered all over my clothes/friends.

Apparently Club 22 (ie Life) is now 'The Place'.
CamRob
Haha, most of which ended up wrapped around my wrists and plastered all over my clothes/friends.

Apparently Club 22 (ie Life) is now 'The Place'.

Yeah noticed that on the Facebook group... almost thought somewhere new was opening till I saw the address.

FTB your ideas for buying stuff sound good, would be nice if you got it in time for the May Ball (wink wink nudge nudge). When I've done stuff with Clare Sound the thing that has annoyed me most is the complete lack of sensible places to position lights due to all your stands being broken. I'm not convinced that buying your own dimmers is really going to be that worthwhile unless you have something proper to control your lights with... if you just want to limit the light coming out of them you could get some neutral density gel? Cheesy disco moving lights sound good though.

Clare Cellars - soon to be the ultimate nightclub experience I'm sure...
I'd love some more info on indie nights and the general indie scene in Cambridge~ How is it in terms of both indie bands in general and also the home grown/university based bands? I know Oxford was home to Foals (and some other band called Radio...something I forget :tongue:), does Cambridge have anything a bit different like that? I'm worried I'm going to fall behind with good new music if I get the grades and go to Cambridge >_>
dominiclmorris
I'd love some more info on indie nights and the general indie scene in Cambridge~ How is it in terms of both indie bands in general and also the home grown/university based bands? I know Oxford was home to Foals (and some other band called Radio...something I forget :tongue:), does Cambridge have anything a bit different like that? I'm worried I'm going to fall behind with good new music if I get the grades and go to Cambridge >_>

University based bands have the opportunity to play in college bars. I've seen a few local bands, generally when they've been supporting bigger acts (a lot of bands don't have a set support band-- they just choose a local band from each city) The Junction and Corn Exchange also have 'battle of the bands' type competitions as well.

As for indie bands in general, it's alright. We generally get some 'popular indie' bands playing, like Pigeon Detectives and The Kooks. I recently went to the NME Awards tour as well (The Cribs, Does it offend you yeah?, The Ting Tings, Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong or whatever the **** they're called)

As someone who isn't generally a fan of what most people call 'indie' (I miss the days when 'indie' referred to stuff like Death Cab For Cutie rather than generic guitar pop bands...why the change?), I think there's a lot of it in Cambridge. Along with DNB, electro and cheese, it's probably one of the most played genres of music in Cambridge.
Reply 50
Since the Graduate pub became a Barfly (corporate take-over, I know), the indie scene in Cambridge has become incredible. It seems like every night there's a tour ending up there (or less often at Soul Tree/Corn Exchange)

Off the top of my head, I've seen Los Campesinos, Art Brut and Islands recently.

As for homegrown talent, it's quite a lot weaker than Oxford. No two ways about it.
Reply 51
Islands were in cambridge? damn...

Latest

Trending

Trending