The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Salain
I posted them, and you can hang things up but there aren't any doors. HOWEVER, some of the floors (out of 7, but I don't know how many of them as I didn't go through all 7 floors) have been refurbished and now have wardrobes, and new bigger desks that go around the corner of the wall, with drawers.
I suspect more will be refurbished this summer.

Thanks :smile: I'm not going until 2009, but its somethign that just suddenly popped into my mind! Besides, most of my clothes end up on the floor anyway!

Would you recommend Astor? It seems to be quite good on paper (cheaper than most, single rooms, near the uni), but I'm worried there's something horrible that no one mentions...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 181
Would you recommend Astor? It seems to be quite good on paper (cheaper than most, single rooms, near the uni), but I'm worried there's something horrible that no one mentions...

I spend quite a lot of time in Astor and its quite good I guess in terms of price and social life. But the cooking area and toilets/bathrooms are absolutely terrible in my opinion.
Reply 182
Small kitchens is the only downside I can really think of.
I mean, as long as you aren't too picky about using a shared bathroom (single sex)... they get cleaned every weekday (kitchen does too) and it's not usually a problem getting a shower when you want one.

It used to be a catered accommodation, so the cooking area is very small for the amount of people (although you do get your own cupboard), so it can get busy in there at certain times depending on people's eating habits. It certainly did for me because a group of about 5-6 girls on my floor always insisted on eating at the same time. Obviously not everyone goes to cook at exactly the same time though so it's easy to work around.
Sitting area is much more spacious. They really need to redo the kitchens and make more of the space!

Oh, and you get a fridge in your room - but not all of them have freezer compartments which is annoying/slightly more costly.

But it's certainly liveable, and good value for the reasons you give.. it's also pretty sociable.
Reply 183
Vincente
But the cooking area and toilets/bathrooms are absolutely terrible in my opinion.

Boys are disgusting though and judging from the sight of the guys loos on my floor I'm glad I'm not one :P

Some of the floors again, have got refurbished bathrooms.. they are quite nice, but I can't vouch for how good the showers were. First floor showers were amazing, really powerful. They might not look stunning when you first go but it's easy to get used to.
I have not got my postcard back, it has been over a month.

I should be worried righT?
Reply 185
Call or email them and enquire. You seem to not be an international, so shouldn't take too long. Might just have got lost in the post (Royal Mail, boo :P )
Yeah will call them on Monday, I'm really worried :s-smilie:
Reply 187
Inflation
I have not got my postcard back, it has been over a month.

I should be worried righT?

Not necessarily. they'll have had tons (probably literally) of applications this past month, so it's possible that dealing with them, rather than posting the postcards back, has been the priority. Don't panic, and call them on monday :smile: loads of people seem to not have received their acknowledgement, but when they ring up it's being processed.
Reply 188
Yes got mine long ago, and I am not in the UK. But I am quite worried I was in the UK for 11 months for my MSc in 2004 and I was within the M25 thing. Left UK 4 years ago. I hope I do get an accomodation with UCL :frown:
~Ally~
Not necessarily. they'll have had tons (probably literally) of applications this past month, so it's possible that dealing with them, rather than posting the postcards back, has been the priority. Don't panic, and call them on monday :smile: loads of people seem to not have received their acknowledgement, but when they ring up it's being processed.

They haven't got mine :frown:
I sent it 2 weeks before the deadline. Now as I'm from London, the lady ont he phone said it is unlikely I'll get accomadation :bawling: :bawling:

How is the waiting list thing like? I onl want en-suite, so I'm not sure what to do....
Inflation
I sent it 2 weeks before the deadline. Now as I'm from London, the lady ont he phone said it is unlikely I'll get accomadation :bawling: :bawling:

How is the waiting list thing like? I onl want en-suite, so I'm not sure what to do....

Sorry to hear that. This sort of thing is why I'm unable to trust the Royal Mail these days. It used to be so reliable.

On my open day, I remember someone asking about accommodation for insurance offer holders. Anyway, as part of the reply, the person answering said that even if it's not possible for you to get accommodation in the first semester, you may well find it easy to get somewhere after Christmas. Apparently many of the American exchange students only stay for half the year - and they overwhelmingly choose the autumn semester to come to UCL. So, after they've gone there are free rooms.

Not sure if that information is helpful. Hope they find you somewhere sooner. Are you a long journey away from UCL?
Reply 191
Inflation

Start looking elsewhere, i suppose...
unite type places (though i don't even want to think about what their London prices would be :s-smilie: )
roombuddies.com
intolondon.com

Though you may have to give up your en suite dream; sharing a bathroom seriously is not a big deal dude!
I'm 40 minmutes by train I think. I don't really fancy living out apart from in halls, I don't think it is worth living in flats, especially since its not the same experience and I'm quite close.

Thanks Mumintroll about informing about the exchange students, I might give them UCL office a ring about it.

Atleast I'll save more than 5k... :s-smilie:
Reply 193
Inflation
I'm 40 minmutes by train I think. I don't really fancy living out apart from in halls, I don't think it is worth living in flats, especially since its not the same experience and I'm quite close.

Thanks Mumintroll about informing about the exchange students, I might give them UCL office a ring about it.

Atleast I'll save more than 5k... :s-smilie:

Unite is ridiculously expensive. All that is available in London at the mo is £1400 per month (close to UCL anyway)

www.accommodationforstudents.com still has loads

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/largerprivatestudenthousing/ (this is the site you will need)

NIDO, Studius and Vine are pretty good. I had a look at them The beds in Studius are pretty small. Albany House is also a good option, right round the corner from UCL.

Let me know if you need any help with looking/opinions etc as I am around all summer
But the sense of living in halls with other of your fellow 1st year students won't be there :frown:
Reply 195
Inflation
But the sense of living in halls with other of your fellow 1st year students won't be there :frown:

Awww Well I sent in an accommodation form but I am no longer staying in halls so I can call UCL and see if they will swap it to your name. I asked for ensuite pref Frances Gardner. Its worth a shot
Jee, thanks! Erm, are you going to start first year in September?
hey everybody. alright, i'm an international student, i'll be coming from the united states in the fall and am now in the process of applying for my visa. here's the (possible) dilemma: in order to complete the application or at least make it successful, i need to supply an address. it seems i won't be hearing about my accommodation from ucl for awhile so i am not sure how this will affect my obtaining a visa. anybody have any past experiences or advice on the matter? thanks!
Reply 198
When do we find out what accomodation we got?
i heard not until september. that may or may not be correct. it seems pretty late to me...

Latest

Trending

Trending