The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
.Ed.
Has this worked for anyone ? I'm considering trying it.

read last year that a lot of people had done itt and worked.
other thing some people did in order to secure Astor College, was to write they wanted a fridge. as Astor is the only hall with individual fridges in the rooms they got that.
i mean it does save the office some hassle if you write what you want and the amount of money you're willing to spend is in that area.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
cool. I'm after the cheapest self catered single room (couldn't be doing with sharing) I can get my hands on. More money in my pocket that way.
Reply 22
.Ed.
Has this worked for anyone ? I'm considering trying it.

People have ended up in the halls that they requested, but whether that was because they asked or not is another question entirely. It doesn't seem to hurt, so if you want to do it then go ahead.
paddy
1. That depends on the halls/floor you are in/on.
2. Accommodation is not done on a first come first served basis. As long as you send in the form before the deadline you'll be fine.

James Lighthill or Frances Gardner are the ones I'm leaning towards, but I've heard that since they are in cluster flats you could be stuck with people that don't like going out, so Astor may be better for me:confused:
Reply 24
You'll all be fine wherever you end up :d
in other news i have bought three pairs of jeans. they're are being washed as we speak, if anyone cares haha :biggrin:
Am I meant to be applying for accommodation this year, or next? I presumed as a deferred 2009 applicant, I'd apply with the other 2009 entrants, but I read somewhere that "deferred entry apply a year ahead of everyone else".
Reply 26
Joanna May
Am I meant to be applying for accommodation this year, or next? I presumed as a deferred 2009 applicant, I'd apply with the other 2009 entrants, but I read somewhere that "deferred entry apply a year ahead of everyone else".

Whoah I was meaning to ask the same question because the UCL accommodation booklet that they sent with the green form says "APPLICATION FOR RESIDENCE ACADEMIC SESSION 2008/2009" which I technically don't quality as a deferred place holder. So I assumed I applied next year with everyone else, however it would be nice to have accommodation secured for me already.

Btw, I friend of my studying architecture this year told me that there are plans to build a new hall or they are opening a new hall in 2009/2010 ... Anyone can confirm this? I know they are refurbishing IforEvans and Max Rayne houses but thats all the information the booklet gives.
Reply 27
The latest addition is Ian Baker which should be open in September I think
Reply 28
If you hold a deferred place then you do not have to apply for accommodation. Just wait until next year and apply then.
Reply 29
correct
Reply 30
What does 1-bed flat mean?

It doesn't mean what it implies does it? A one bedroom flat on its own or does it mean 1 bedroom in the flat shared with a few other people?
andy87
im after a self-catered single room for my 1st year at UCL. However i have a problem. My gf wants to move to London with me and was thinking if its possible to have her live in my room? and im not talking abt a week or 2, im talking of a full year. This way it would be cheaper for me and her as we would both share the rent. getting a couple flat its way too expensive so im definitely thinking of getting a single room. i know the administrators or whoever runs the place wont let me have anyone in there. But how would they know though? have you guys ,currently studying at UCL, heard of couples sharing a single room without UCL's consent? is it possible to live with my gf in a single room, if i buy an extra matress or something? cheers :smile:

Surely that's not particularly desirable for a whole year? I'm sure your flatmates wouldn't like it, if you had any, and I wouldn't want to sleep in a single bed with my partner any more than I'd want to sleep on an extra mattress on the floor.
Reply 32

im after a self-catered single room for my 1st year at UCL. However i have a problem. My gf wants to move to London with me and was thinking if its possible to have her live in my room? and im not talking abt a week or 2, im talking of a full year. This way it would be cheaper for me and her as we would both share the rent. getting a couple flat its way too expensive so im definitely thinking of getting a single room. i know the administrators or whoever runs the place wont let me have anyone in there. But how would they know though? have you guys ,currently studying at UCL, heard of couples sharing a single room without UCL's consent? is it possible to live with my gf in a single room, if i buy an extra matress or something? cheers

I would imagine that you can get away with it in few of the self-catered halls with very little security such as mine (schafer house) and other halls like Astor college....
Reply 33
What's the point in stating your personal interests and activities on the accomodation form? Why would they want to know? Is it going to improve my chances of getting in, if I mention cycling as a hobby and the hall that I want to get in has a bicycle storage :biggrin:?
Reply 34
Krautsalat
What's the point in stating your personal interests and activities on the accomodation form? Why would they want to know? Is it going to improve my chances of getting in, if I mention cycling as a hobby and the hall that I want to get in has a bicycle storage :biggrin:.

It says in the accommodation booklet that they use this information mainly if you are going to be given a shared room; i.e. they'd attempt to pair you up with someone with similar interests.
Reply 35
It says in the accommodation booklet that they use this information mainly if you are going to be given a shared room; i.e. they'd attempt to pair you up with someone with similar interests.

Yeah, I probably should learn to read. It could prove really helpful someday. But thanks anyway :redface: .
Reply 36
Krautsalat
Yeah, I probably should learn to read. It could prove really helpful someday. But thanks anyway :redface: .

No problem. I usually miss the small print too.
Reply 37
andy87
im after a self-catered single room for my 1st year at UCL. However i have a problem. My gf wants to move to London with me and was thinking if its possible to have her live in my room? and im not talking abt a week or 2, im talking of a full year. This way it would be cheaper for me and her as we would both share the rent. getting a couple flat its way too expensive so im definitely thinking of getting a single room. i know the administrators or whoever runs the place wont let me have anyone in there. But how would they know though? have you guys ,currently studying at UCL, heard of couples sharing a single room without UCL's consent? is it possible to live with my gf in a single room, if i buy an extra matress or something? cheers :smile:

I am surprised you are considering that option at all. First off do you know how tiny your rooms are going to be? Sharing a room that size is not an option unless of course it is a few nights a week. You should try and get couples accomodation or go private (which will cost a bomb if you guys are both students/have no savings)
Reply 38
I put I wanted a fridge on my form to get Astor :smile: I actually do want a fridge, so actually if I get Astor I'll be very pleased!
Sent my accommodation off last night.
Reply 39
What kinda fridges are in Astor? I doubt they'd be full sizes ... would they? and whats stopping you from bringing your own mini-fridge into your room?

Latest

Trending

Trending