The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6040
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Pretty much however much you want it to be! You can feed yourself on absolute basics (and a lot of pasta) for like £15 a week if you want, I normally spend about £25 and you can spend pretty much anything up from that if you have the money. If you have housemates you really get on with you can collaborate on a weekly online delivery which generally works out cheaper :smile:

Thank you for your earlier reply. Also I would like to know what is the usual that a student earns per hour while studying at UCL? Will the money earned per week suffice for everything, if one lives in the most basic of conditions?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by rohana

Original post by rohana
Thank you for your earlier reply. Also I would like to know what is the usual that a student earns per hour while studying at UCL? Will the money earned per week suffice for everything, if one lives in the most basic of conditions?

What, do you mean if you have a part time job? Because that depends on the job I guess. London wages tend to be higher so you're probably looking at maybe £6-6.50 an hour if you actually manage to get a job but that will entirely depend.
Pretty much however much you want it to be! You can feed yourself on absolute basics (and a lot of pasta) for like £15 a week if you want, I normally spend about £25 and you can spend pretty much anything up from that if you have the money. If you have housemates you really get on with you can collaborate on a weekly online delivery which generally works out cheaper :smile:
Many thanks for this piece of information. :smile:
I have a further question: which house would you advise me to choose if I want to share a flat with a few people? Are there places to avoid? :tongue:
I thought of Ann Stephenson, but it seems that there aren't so many places for undergrads there. :s
Reply 6043
hey guys,

anyone know what student hall postgrads mainly stay??

and how are intercollegiate halls?? has anyone been in there before?? it seems there's a few info about intercollegiate halls:frown:
Original post by Rastagong

Original post by Rastagong
Many thanks for this piece of information. :smile:
I have a further question: which house would you advise me to choose if I want to share a flat with a few people? Are there places to avoid? :tongue:
I thought of Ann Stephenson, but it seems that there aren't so many places for undergrads there. :s

Schafer has flats of mostly 5 and some fewer. Ann Stephenson flats are small and there are undergrads there :smile: Langton Close has about 7/8 people in theirs. Apart from that I'm not sure, if you don't want a big corridor then avoid Ramsay and Astor and the intercollegiates.
I'm about to send off my application for accommodation. This is the picture I've used in it:

It said a passport-regulation photograph, so do you think this will be ok?
Reply 6046
yes. i always did wonder why they used it, I've just decided to tell myself it's to take the piss out of you and pick your roommate accordingly. I remember when I first went in to collect my keys and she said "you look nothing like your photo"
Has anyone that has sent of their application received a confirmation email??? Sent mine off about a week ago and still haven't received anything - I'm starting to doubt if I submitted it correctly or I was missing some giant 'send' button or something. Thought I would be better off trying to get an answer here quickly than to wait for years for ucl to actually bother to email back.
Reply 6048
looking for roomate for max rayne house. sould be into cooking and not a clean freak.
Schafer has flats of mostly 5 and some fewer. Ann Stephenson flats are small and there are undergrads there :smile: Langton Close has about 7/8 people in theirs. Apart from that I'm not sure, if you don't want a big corridor then avoid Ramsay and Astor and the intercollegiates.
Thanks for the tips, it helps a lot. :smile:
Anyone know anything about Ian Baker House? It looks perfect! Although I know you can't choose..
Hey, anyone else really want to get into Ramsay Hall?
Reply 6052
Looking for a Roomate in Max Rayne house. One who is into cooking because I am into cooking and should not be a neat freak.
Original post by NeuralGroove
Hey, anyone else really want to get into Ramsay Hall?

Yeah I'm thinking that too...

Anyone at ucl who can give us an idea what the food at the catered halls is like?
Reply 6054
Where can I find a username and password to apply for accommodation? There's nothing on my offer letter. My offer is for medicine, might that have something to do with it?
Reply 6055
What would you say is the best self-catered and en suite accommodation in terms of facilities, distance from the University and social life? :smile:

So out of the following:

Prankerd House
James Lighthill House
Ian Baker House
Goldsmid House
Frances Gardner House
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ms93
What would you say is the best self-catered and en suite accommodation in terms of facilities, distance from the University and social life? :smile:

So out of the following:

Prankerd House
James Lighthill House
Ian Baker House
Goldsmid House
Frances Gardner House

I've heard Prankerd is a bit meh and quite quiet, plus IIRC it's largely for mature students/couples. Also the facilities are at Schafer but that's down the road rather than being on site. Goldsmid is really really far! I don't know much about James Lighthill but I'd say the best two out of that list are Ian Baker which is about 5 minutes away and shares facilities with Ramsay (which is a very sociable hall) and Frances Gardner which is a bit further (20 min walk) but on a site with Langton Close so there are generally more students around :smile:
Don't get too hung up on certain choices though as you're not able to request specific halls.
Original post by Joe H
Where can I find a username and password to apply for accommodation? There's nothing on my offer letter. My offer is for medicine, might that have something to do with it?

You have to follow through their instructions to set up your own username and password, there's nothing but a link on the offer letters.

Confusing, I know.
Original post by NeuralGroove
You have to follow through their instructions to set up your own username and password, there's nothing but a link on the offer letters.

Confusing, I know.

It's massively confusing! You have to go onto the UCL accom website, find the apply bit, takes you to a website, sign up there, you get sent an email with a token (didn't have a link the first time) tried again, link there, click it, enter your token, and then you can apply.

Words of advice for filling in the form, DO IT SLOWLY!!!! It's really badly designed such that once you fill in a box and save the page, you CANNOT go back and edit it, thats it! If you make a mistake you have to then do it all again...so take your time :smile:
Reply 6059
I've heard Prankerd is a bit meh and quite quiet, plus IIRC it's largely for mature students/couples. Also the facilities are at Schafer but that's down the road rather than being on site. Goldsmid is really really far! I don't know much about James Lighthill but I'd say the best two out of that list are Ian Baker which is about 5 minutes away and shares facilities with Ramsay (which is a very sociable hall) and Frances Gardner which is a bit further (20 min walk) but on a site with Langton Close so there are generally more students around :smile:
Don't get too hung up on certain choices though as you're not able to request specific halls.

Okay thanks for the response :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending