University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Barrett.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I'm a bit worried, I sent off my accommodation application a few days ago, and now it won't let me log into the system. Is this normal? I haven't changed my log-in details, and I'm definitely typing it in right...
I completed my first year at another London uni in 2010-2011, living in halls owned by that uni. I dropped out due to personal reasons (illness etc) and am now going to restart and do another degree at UCL starting in Sept. On the accomodation it says that first years are guaranteed accom except for those inside the m25 (which doesn't apply to me) and those who have lived in halls attached to an institution of higher education in London in the past. So my question is, whilst I won't be guaranteed a place, can I still apply? And what would be my chances of getting an offer of accomodation?
Wow just looked a this thread for the first time and i'm surprised how many people have already applied for accommodation, making me a bit nervous. :s-smilie:

I just want to see what people think would be right for me for accommodation at UCL:

1. I don't mind whether it's UCL or intercollegiate halls
2. I probably want catered (Unless someone can persuade me otherwise)
3. I would prefer an en-suite
4. Would like somewhere about 10 mins walk/tube/bus from the main campus
5. It would be nice to be in fairly sociable halls
6. Somewhere relativity inexpensive

That probably sounds more a hotel or the perfect hall but any suggestions for a hall or any advice would be much welcome. :smile:
Original post by mariamb93
How do u apply for accommodation :s-smilie: i firmed UCL and went to apply for accommodation but you needed a student number? i dont have one :s-smilie:

It's your UCAS number.
i just thought I'd link to this video on here in case it helps anyone out. It's a UCL accomodation Youtube video, and the guy visits Ifor Evans, Canterbury Hall, Ann Stephenson House and Goodenough College (which is postgrad only, I think). The video is from 2009 so some things may have changed, and it isn't an official video (obviously, once you've watched it).

Sorry if it's already been linked to on here!
I'm really confused, I have UCL as my insurance but was told to apply for accomodation anyway. I only had a choice of intercolegiate houses, which I could chose individually, but couldn't specify which student houses/halls I wanted. My list looked like;

Nutford House
College Hall
Connaught Hall
'UCL house'
'UCL halls'

Can we not chose which house we want? I really liked the look of Langton Close :frown:
Original post by summer_blazed
I'm really confused, I have UCL as my insurance but was told to apply for accomodation anyway. I only had a choice of intercolegiate houses, which I could chose individually, but couldn't specify which student houses/halls I wanted. My list looked like;

Nutford House
College Hall
Connaught Hall
'UCL house'
'UCL halls'

Can we not chose which house we want? I really liked the look of Langton Close :frown:

Technically, you cannot choose the house you want. Many people, however, appear to leave a note on the application asking to be assigned a certain residence, although you are not guaranteed it in any terms. I'm not sure how UCL being your insurance choice would affect this, though. Good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6128
Hello everyone,
I am currently in the process of applying for accommodation at UCL.
I really would like to stay in halls, catered in a single room, i am pretty indifferent to which halls, but just want one close to UCL.

But the accommodation application form needs a most important choice, and then on the next page it asks if i want catered, if i want a single room, and if they don't have single rooms then do i want a shared.

I really really don't want a shared room, and i don't want to be too far away from UCL, but being in a single room is more important.

So after that long winded intro, it brings me to my question...

If i answer 'yes' to wanting a single room, and 'no' to not wanting to go in shared even if thats the only option, do i need to also say my most important factor is a single room, or is it not necessary. As i would prefer to write proximity to UCL as the important factor, but is it worth the risk?

Would appreciate any advice!

Thankyou
Hi, I have a potentially really stupid question...

On the application form, it says to choose a most important factor (one of which can be, self-catered room). Then on the next page it asks whether you'd like catered or not.

My question is, I really want self-catered, but I'd also like proximity to UCL. If I select proximity as my most important factor, then select self-catered on the next page, how likely is it that I'll get self-catered (which is actually more important to me)? I guess I just don't want to waste a choice by putting the same thing twice...
Frankly, it doesn't seem to make a difference what you put down - the UCL Accomodation Office don't seem to take any account of it. Hell, last academic year they were putting people down for halls that were far in excess of what they could afford to pay!
Well they say no matter what you tick you, they can't promise you that choice... so just tick 'single room' and 'unwilling to share'... if worst comes to worst, they will give you a shared room...
There is only one catered hall from UCL that is close to the uni (Ramsay). The other one is Ifor Evans which is far away. Both have single rooms only. So if you chose catered halls as your first choice out of the list (halls, residences, intercollegiate), then I would put proximity as my 'top priority'.... though bear in mind there seems to be little evidence that these preferences are closely followed but you can only hope
Reply 6132
How good are UCL at giving you accomodation that matches your first priority? (In this case single room)
Reply 6133
Hi!
So, I'll be coming to UCL next year to read Law, and I've been looking at accommodation and it's making me a bit nervous.
Namely because, my parents do NOT want me to be in a flat with shared bathrooms - they're not strict or anything, they're just not having it for "their little princess". Which is a bit annoying tbh, because I don't have a massive problem with sharing, but as it stands they insist I get en-suite.
And that in itself is not an issue - it's just that from what I've been hearing, en-suite halls are a bit anti-social? (May be completely wrong, it's just from what little I've heard) and this is stressing me out, because I'm an extremely sociable person, and I'd like to be able to live with other people I can talk to and become friends with, not in a ghost-corridor.
So basically my question is - is it true that en-suite halls are anti-social? Is the difference that dramatic? What do you recommend that I do?
Thanks, everyone :smile:
Reply 6134
Original post by Pavlina
Hi!
So, I'll be coming to UCL next year to read Law, and I've been looking at accommodation and it's making me a bit nervous.
Namely because, my parents do NOT want me to be in a flat with shared bathrooms - they're not strict or anything, they're just not having it for "their little princess". Which is a bit annoying tbh, because I don't have a massive problem with sharing, but as it stands they insist I get en-suite.
And that in itself is not an issue - it's just that from what I've been hearing, en-suite halls are a bit anti-social? (May be completely wrong, it's just from what little I've heard) and this is stressing me out, because I'm an extremely sociable person, and I'd like to be able to live with other people I can talk to and become friends with, not in a ghost-corridor.
So basically my question is - is it true that en-suite halls are anti-social? Is the difference that dramatic? What do you recommend that I do?
Thanks, everyone :smile:

I'd say this is a baseless worry. Sibling is in an en-suite hall and has a *very* vibrant social life. All of UCL's en-suite halls are also self-catered which means there is a communal kitchen to socialize in. Tbf, most of your socializing wouldn't happen in the shower or toilets anyway. There is an Intercollegiate Hall - College Hall - with en-suite but catered and that is also fairly social this year. Obviously my evidence is anecdotal but I am almost certain that if you make the effort you really will find the right people so don't worry :smile:

In any case UCL runs a wait-list/swap thing from the third week or so of term - if things don't pan out with your original allocation, you can always try to switch then.

Choose based on your own preferences. And good luck with UCL Residences Office; hopefully they are more organized than they were last year.
Hi,
when do they usually send email confirmations/acknowledgments of the receipt of application? I've been waiting for a few weeks now, and the status of application is still "pending".
Thanks.
Original post by Borderline
Technically, you cannot choose the house you want. Many people, however, appear to leave a note on the application asking to be assigned a certain residence, although you are not guaranteed it in any terms. I'm not sure how UCL being your insurance choice would affect this, though. Good luck :smile:

What/where is this note thing you speak of on the application? :P
Original post by wavezone113
What/where is this note thing you speak of on the application? :P

People only did it when they were handwritten applications, I don't think you'll be able to do it on the electronic one.
Hey there.

To anyone that is currently at UCL at the moment, i'd like some advice on which halls to apply for.
Looking for a really social first year, i have noticed that there are intercollegiate halls as well as the two UCL ones... and have no idea where is considered the best place to live.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Danny.
do u have to do it electronic...don't they send u a writen application and if so when? i want to request a specific hall on the application and from everyones comments it seems like the online one is pretty complicated

Latest

Trending

Trending