Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The UCL accomodation thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    when do they usually send email confirmations/acknowledgments of the receipt of application? I've been waiting for a few weeks now, and the status of application is still "pending".
    Thanks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borderline)
    Technically, you cannot choose the house you want. Many people, however, appear to leave a note on the application asking to be assigned a certain residence, although you are not guaranteed it in any terms. I'm not sure how UCL being your insurance choice would affect this, though. Good luck
    What/where is this note thing you speak of on the application? :P
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavezone113)
    What/where is this note thing you speak of on the application? :P
    People only did it when they were handwritten applications, I don't think you'll be able to do it on the electronic one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey there.

To anyone that is currently at UCL at the moment, i'd like some advice on which halls to apply for.
    Looking for a really social first year, i have noticed that there are intercollegiate halls as well as the two UCL ones... and have no idea where is considered the best place to live.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Danny.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do u have to do it electronic...don't they send u a writen application and if so when? i want to request a specific hall on the application and from everyones comments it seems like the online one is pretty complicated
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arunas.rv)
    Hi,
    when do they usually send email confirmations/acknowledgments of the receipt of application? I've been waiting for a few weeks now, and the status of application is still "pending".
    Thanks.
    yar im curious aswell, its making me worried i might have filled it in wrong :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahassociates)
    Right, got it. Knew I was missing something.
    How does one fill out the UCL accommodation forms - online or paper?

If paper, when do you receive the paper forms? Most of them whom I know got the offers but not the accommodation forms.. so was not sure. thanks ..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpc1)
    How does one fill out the UCL accommodation forms - online or paper?

If paper, when do you receive the paper forms? Most of them whom I know got the offers but not the accommodation forms.. so was not sure. thanks ..
    It's online, if you follow
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...n/applications
    and then click "Accommodation Applications", it should link you to the site you use to apply
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffanie)
    It's online, if you follow
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...n/applications
    and then click "Accommodation Applications", it should link you to the site you use to apply
    Thanks. a few questions

1) do you get an accommodation booklet (even thought its all online, i read that people get some booklets/post cards). does everyone receive it?

2) is it first come first serve.. meaning is it ok to fill out on May 31 (last day) or today for example.. are both the same from the allocation point of view? If yes, why do people fill it out earlier?

3) Is this your firm or insurance? if insurance, can still the choices be made?

4) for online regtn, what/where is the registration number?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpc1)
    Thanks. a few questions

1) do you get an accommodation booklet (even thought its all online, i read that people get some booklets/post cards). does everyone receive it?

2) is it first come first serve.. meaning is it ok to fill out on May 31 (last day) or today for example.. are both the same from the allocation point of view? If yes, why do people fill it out earlier?

3) Is this your firm or insurance? if insurance, can still the choices be made?

4) for online regtn, what/where is the registration number?
    I'm in first year, so applied last year through the wondrous paper system, so I'll reply as far as possible but it might be worth someone with more knowledge about this year checking over this!

1) Some people last year got postcards to say their application had been acknowledged, but a great number (including me) didn't get these. If you're unsure as to whether they've received yours, you can ring up and they'll tell you whether or not you're on the system
    With regard to booklets, I don't believe I ever got one, I think all of our information was online

2) They should all be considered, but it does say on the site that the sooner you send it in, the sooner you'll be allocated after your offer changes to unconditional. It's worth doing it as soon as possible, to make sure you know they definitely have it on their files etc

3) Last year only people holding UCL as firm could apply for accommodation, and I think it's the same this year. Their website recommends you being prepared to use Housing Services if UCL is your insurance

4) To register on the website without a UCL email address (which I don't think you get until September), I think you need your UCL Reference Number (which turns into your student number) which should be on the letter UCL send you when you accept your offer (mine was underneath my UCAS ID)

It's worth someone applying this year who might know more than me checking this over though

Hope this helps!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffanie)

3) Last year only people holding UCL as firm could apply for accommodation, and I think it's the same this year. Their website recommends you being prepared to use Housing Services if UCL is your insurance

Hope this helps!
    Your answers definitely help! thanks.

Yes, for insurance the website talks about UCL housing service. How different is this from UCL accommodation? Do you know if a vast majority of those whose insurance is UCL still get UCL accommodation? Do you know of any who were declined accommodation and had to go via the housing service? Your inputs would be very very helpful as accommodation is very important if UCL is insurance and one does not meet the firm..

thanks so much
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rougelipstick)
    I completed my first year at another London uni in 2010-2011, living in halls owned by that uni. I dropped out due to personal reasons (illness etc) and am now going to restart and do another degree at UCL starting in Sept. On the accomodation it says that first years are guaranteed accom except for those inside the m25 (which doesn't apply to me) and those who have lived in halls attached to an institution of higher education in London in the past. So my question is, whilst I won't be guaranteed a place, can I still apply? And what would be my chances of getting an offer of accomodation?
    I'm in exactly the same situation. I've phoned UCL, and they've said that the chances of someone getting into halls if they've already been in London is very slim, because we have experience of living in London that others don't. That applies to the Intercollegiate Halls too, because the places there are allocated through the different universities.

There's a waiting list for Intercollegiate halls for any spare rooms, but they don't look at it until September 10th, so you'd be screwed in trying to find somewhere to live with one week to go if you didn't get in.

I've no idea what I'm going to do about finding somewhere to live now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpc1)
    Your answers definitely help! thanks.

Yes, for insurance the website talks about UCL housing service. How different is this from UCL accommodation? Do you know if a vast majority of those whose insurance is UCL still get UCL accommodation? Do you know of any who were declined accommodation and had to go via the housing service? Your inputs would be very very helpful as accommodation is very important if UCL is insurance and one does not meet the firm..

thanks so much
    I really don't know much about the housing service, sorry!
    Their website is http://housing.lon.ac.uk, but I think their focus is on helping you to find private housing.
    It might be worth emailing UCL or the housing service themselves to check,
    on residences@ucl.ac.uk or housing@lon.ac.uk
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I completed my first year at another London uni in 2010-2011, living in halls owned by that uni. I dropped out due to personal reasons (illness etc) and am now going to restart and do another degree at UCL starting in Sept. On the accomodation it says that first years are guaranteed accom except for those inside the m25 (which doesn't apply to me) and those who have lived in halls attached to an institution of higher education in London in the past. So my question is, whilst I won't be guaranteed a place, can I still apply? And what would be my chances of getting an offer of accomodation?
    This is incorrect! What it says on the website is: which to me means if you live within the M25 as a 6th form student, you are still guarenteed accom. Only if you live in HALLS associated to a London Uni, are you not guarenteed.

they have spent no previous period of time living in a residence associated with an institution of higher education located in the London area (i.e. within the M25 motorway).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrumpySeuss)
    I'm in exactly the same situation. I've phoned UCL, and they've said that the chances of someone getting into halls if they've already been in London is very slim, because we have experience of living in London that others don't. That applies to the Intercollegiate Halls too, because the places there are allocated through the different universities.

There's a waiting list for Intercollegiate halls for any spare rooms, but they don't look at it until September 10th, so you'd be screwed in trying to find somewhere to live with one week to go if you didn't get in.

I've no idea what I'm going to do about finding somewhere to live now.
    Does this apply to student houses, ie self catered or just the catered halls? The halls I lived in were self catered, not intercollegiate or anything- and how do they know that you've lived there?

(Original post by kingcoltzan)
    This is incorrect! What it says on the website is: which to me means if you live within the M25 as a 6th form student, you are still guarenteed accom. Only if you live in HALLS associated to a London Uni, are you not guarenteed.

they have spent no previous period of time living in a residence associated with an institution of higher education located in the London area (i.e. within the M25 motorway).
    I'm confused, at my last uni you were not guaranteed if your home address (ie a 6th form student at home) was within the M25, but those who had lived in London halls in the past but moved back home to outside the M25 since then were (I know as I lived with two people in this situation) so you're saying that at UCL it is the opposite?

Definitely calling them tomorrow!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does this apply to student houses, ie self catered or just the catered halls? The halls I lived in were self catered, not intercollegiate or anything- and how do they know that you've lived there?

I'm confused, at my last uni you were not guaranteed if your home address (ie a 6th form student at home) was within the M25, but those who had lived in London halls in the past but moved back home to outside the M25 since then were (I know as I lived with two people in this situation) so you're saying that at UCL it is the opposite?

Definitely calling them tomorrow!
    Please do call them to clarify

I know other institutions do not guarentee if you LIVE within M25.

I'm not saying anything, just reading off their webstie
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingcoltzan)
    Please do call them to clarify

I know other institutions do not guarentee if you LIVE within M25.

I'm not saying anything, just reading off their webstie
    Thanks
    I just had another look and "not guaranteed" is quite ambiguous and on one part it says all first year students and other parts this additional rule. Will be good to know where I stand! I'll let you know what they say!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I just had another look and "not guaranteed" is quite ambiguous and on one part it says all first year students and other parts this additional rule. Will be good to know where I stand! I'll let you know what they say!
    I rang them up saying that I'd lived in uni halls last year, but live home (well outside of the M25) now. The guy basically said not to hold my breath - and that applied to the intercollegiate, self catered and catered halls. I'd still ring in case he says something different though.

Also, I have no idea how they're supposed to know if we've lived in halls before.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of accommodation now i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction if i told you what i was looking for

i preferably want quite a spacious room, i definitely want it to be sociable where everyone can just mingle lol
    about the bathrooms, ive never really shared a bathroom could someone tell me who has and how they found it. otherwise i'd like an en-suite
    and hopefully not too far from uni, about 10mins walk :/

ive been thinking: Frances Gardner House, Goldsmid House, James Lighthill and John Dodgson
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haven't began applying yet.

Which hall has the best food that meets my criteria ?
    a) central, i.e. not Camden,
    b) catered
    c) preferably UCL only but I am open to intercollegiate.
    d) <£160 per week

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2014
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.