Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The UCL accomodation thread

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

How do I apply for intercollegiate halls? Is it on the same website as the UCL halls?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    Astor is down as having a 'gym' but it's basically just a basketball court. None of them have proper gyms, but you have bloomsbury fitness and ULU gym at your disposal

Also re. Catered/self catered - depending on your lifestyle you will probably miss a lot of meals. Go self catered where you have proper kitchen facilities and full control over what you spend, it's way better in my opinion. That said if you're able to be up by 8 and in by 6 or whatever every day you'll probably get your moneys worth, but you still have to buy lunch every day and most meals on weekends.
    Thanks, btw, do we have to pay something for the bloomsbury fitness and ULU gym ?
    if yes, how much ?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbose)
    Thanks, btw, do we have to pay something for the bloomsbury fitness and ULU gym ?
    if yes, how much ?
    I got a year at Bloomsbury fitness for around £150. ULU is £250 I think but that includes use of the swimming pool.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbose)
    if yes, how much ?
    http://uclu.org/system/files/brochur...09_01_2012.pdf

They start off selling Bloomsbury Fitness at £155 at the beginning of the year (which is pretty good going), but that means it is rather busy.

The large crowds who have decided that they will go to the gym more now for New Year's have now started dying down, and the numbers aren't so bad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applied and actually had any kind of acknowledgement?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robk93)
    Anyone applied and actually had any kind of acknowledgement?
    I completed the application form a few weeks ago, and didn't get any kind of acknowledgement. FAQ says we should contact them if "we do not receive an acknowledgement of receipt of application form within four weeks of applying online."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am just completing the accommodation application when I got to the bit about "types of accommodation" It does not mention anything about intercollegiate halls. Are 1st years undergrads allowed intercollegiate accommodation? How do we apply for intercollegiate accommodation?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arunas.rv)
    I completed the application form a few weeks ago, and didn't get any kind of acknowledgement. FAQ says we should contact them if "we do not receive an acknowledgement of receipt of application form within four weeks of applying online."
    Phew, reassuring :P

I've still not even had any kind of acknowledgement from my insurance ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How am I meant to apply?

I have a UCAS offer, and a recommendation letter, but no info on how to apply at all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK890)
    I am just completing the accommodation application when I got to the bit about "types of accommodation" It does not mention anything about intercollegiate halls. Are 1st years undergrads allowed intercollegiate accommodation? How do we apply for intercollegiate accommodation?
    Out of all the available accommodation, intercollegiate halls are the ones where you can actually have a specific preference. So you'll see them as their actual names - College, Commonwealth, Hughes Parry, International etc.

Hope that helps!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys so I've got an offer from UCL for 2012 entry and I'm looking at the accommodation page and got majorly confused with how the whole thing works. Any help would be much appreciated.

What's the difference between "hall of residence" and "intercollegiate halls"?
    Does the fees for halls listed on the accommodation website include catering?
    What's the major difference between these halls except the facilities and location?
    Canterbury Hall, College Hall , Commonwealth Hall, Connaught Hall, Hughes Parry Hall, International Hall, Lillian Penson Hall, Nutford House

Cheers x
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Darling)
    How am I meant to apply?

I have a UCAS offer, and a recommendation letter, but no info on how to apply at all.
    Go onto the UCL website....... :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I went onto that link but it wants a student number, which I don't have
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Darling)
    Well I went onto that link but it wants a student number, which I don't have
    I'm in the same position as well. Basically, on the paper copy of your acceptance letter, there is something which says "our reference" in the top right corner. This is the number they refer to as your student number when you apply.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey, reading through this thread, people seemed to previously have been able to sneakily write on their application form where they wanted to live, and just hope that the accom. people felt it in their hearts to give them their preference...

Does this mean there's a written application form, as opposed to the online one?
    I'm not too attached to anywhere but I do really like the idea of Schafer House - it seems to fit with my criteria more than any other self-catering option.
    So for the "most important factor" section, which applies to Schafer more? Cluster/Shared Flat, or Self-catered House? Because it seems to be both, so I don't know which one to specify and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bright Lights)
    Hey, reading through this thread, people seemed to previously have been able to sneakily write on their application form where they wanted to live, and just hope that the accom. people felt it in their hearts to give them their preference...

Does this mean there's a written application form, as opposed to the online one?
    I'm not too attached to anywhere but I do really like the idea of Schafer House - it seems to fit with my criteria more than any other self-catering option.
    So for the "most important factor" section, which applies to Schafer more? Cluster/Shared Flat, or Self-catered House? Because it seems to be both, so I don't know which one to specify and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
    Neither of those are really specific enough. Schafer isn't great to be honest, it's quite an antisocial hall, although it is close and relatively clean which is a bonus.
    Every year before this has had written applications, you're the first year where they're trialling the online system, so nobody can write a cheeky note this year.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hey, anyone doing MSc Management here ?
    or does anyone know if there's a more suitable hall for the management postgraduates, or in general postgraduates.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question ( I don't really know how the accommodation works), but if you share bathrooms are you expected to clean them or do you have people that clean the shared areas?

Edit: Also, if you go for self-catered does it affect how far from the campus you are?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wish I Could Change This)
    Sorry if this is a stupid question ( I don't really know how the accommodation works), but if you share bathrooms are you expected to clean them or do you have people that clean the shared areas?

Edit: Also, if you go for self-catered does it affect how far from the campus you are?
    On the whole, shared bathrooms and kitchens are cleaned - one of the bonuses of not going en suite

And no, some of the self catered residences (arthur tattersall/campell) are the closest to the campus. Some are still far away though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    On the whole, shared bathrooms and kitchens are cleaned - one of the bonuses of not going en suite

And no, some of the self catered residences (arthur tattersall/campell) are the closest to the campus. Some are still far away though.
    Ah, so it's entirely up to chance how far away you are. Thanks for your response. Also, opinions on the intercollegiate halls?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 30, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.