Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The UCL accomodation thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to upload the picture? I have a picture from a passport photo booth, but I don't know how to get it on the computer, do you have to scan it on?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    you don't get a choice. you just put your preferences down.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    If that was directed at me then yes I understand you don't get given whatever you ask for, but I have an unconditional offer and have heard that I have more of a chance of getting what I want since my application can be processed before the rest are out on results day in August. Is this true?
    there is no space on the form to put in where you want to stay.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    depending on where you live you might not need travel, so that would save £13.10 for the bus each week (or however much the tube pass is £19 maybe)

but i would say that's doable. I pay about £150 a week for rent, but I know people paying as little as £90 and some much more than I do. Then bills, my last quarterly bill was £110 for the coldest months of the year.
    wait so you pay rent and bills?! :/ does the rent not cover everything?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayy1994)
    wait so you pay rent and bills?! :/ does the rent not cover everything?
    you first asked about second and third years. and for those, the vast majority of accommodation won't include gas, electricity, water rates, TV licence etc.

of course, in halls, it is all included.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    you first asked about second and third years. and for those, the vast majority of accommodation won't include gas, electricity, water rates, TV licence etc.

of course, in halls, it is all included.
    sorry you probably got me mixed up with someone else.
    I'm going to be entering my first year this September, if i applied to houses rather than halls do i have to pay anything more?
    or is it that you pay what you see on the link below and no more?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...esidences/fees
    :/
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry you probably got me mixed up with someone else.
    I'm going to be entering my first year this September, if i applied to houses rather than halls do i have to pay anything more?
    or is it that you pay what you see on the link below and no more?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...esidences/fees
    :/
    well it's because you quoted me answering a question from someone else about 2nd and 3rd years.:rolleyes:

UCL call their self-catered accommodation houses and catered accommodation halls, they're all halls really. You pay the fees on there. Why would you pay more in a UCL 'house' rather than a UCL 'hall'?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    well it's because you quoted me answering a question from someone else about 2nd and 3rd years.:rolleyes:

UCL call their self-catered accommodation houses and catered accommodation halls, they're all halls really. You pay the fees on there. Why would you pay more in a UCL 'house' rather than a UCL 'hall'?
    ahh ok cheers don't suppose you know about catered halls? just wondering if you felt peckish n wanted a quick snack or a cuppa what would you do with no kitchens :/
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok cheers don't suppose you know about catered halls? just wondering if you felt peckish n wanted a quick snack or a cuppa what would you do with no kitchens :/
    they have small kitchen type spaces shared between however many rooms. then it depends what building you're in as to what is in these kitchens. Cupboards, fridges, you could put kettles or toasters in etc. (they weren't supplied in any halls I went to, including self-catered)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, a friend and I are thinking of sharing a room at an intercollegiate hall, and we've got a few questions to ask.

1) I understand from previous posts that there is a space to put someone's name as your preferred roommate, but will they definitely put you with that person? Is there a way of declaring firmly I really only want to share with one person (eg in the "most important factor to you" part)?

2) What is ensuite double? Does it mean one room with two beds, or a room with a large bed for two? In the same vein, are there any rooms for sharing that are ensuite in the intercollegiate halls?

3) Does anyone know what the intercollegiate halls are like and which ones would you recommend (eg cleaner, nearer to grocery stores, etc.)? So far no one posting seems to live there.

Thanks!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calmeni)
    Hi, a friend and I are thinking of sharing a room at an intercollegiate hall, and we've got a few questions to ask.

1) I understand from previous posts that there is a space to put someone's name as your preferred roommate, but will they definitely put you with that person? Is there a way of declaring firmly I really only want to share with one person (eg in the "most important factor to you" part)?

2) What is ensuite double? Does it mean one room with two beds, or a room with a large bed for two? In the same vein, are there any rooms for sharing that are ensuite in the intercollegiate halls?

3) Does anyone know what the intercollegiate halls are like and which ones would you recommend (eg cleaner, nearer to grocery stores, etc.)? So far no one posting seems to live there.

Thanks!
    when you're on the application form it does explain a lot of this.
    in most halls, you chose between single, single ensuite and twin en suite. Somewhere else it says that twin is seperate beds.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the reason why we're asking these questions is because we can't access the application form right now and wish to be more informed before we start filling it in. I read a few posts back that the online form is very unforgiving to mistakes and that you can't change your answers on the previous page without deleting the whole application, so we'd like to get it right on the first try.

Thank you very much! Would you happen to know which intercollegiate halls have twin ensuite?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Planning to firm UCL tomorrow but do you have to wait for anything (post or email) before filling out the accomodation form?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    How big are the wardrobes in Ramsay ?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    Oh right I see. So what does the form include?
    are you applying for accommodation? you'll find out if you are.

personal details. preferences. little bit where you put your interests. put a photo on it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else being put off insuring a UCL offer due to their policy for accomodation for insurers :/ ? Im confused as to if you insure you are even allowed to apply for any accomodation on the off chance of a space or just have to automatically find your own by own means of site they suggest!?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma mw)
    Is anyone else being put off insuring a UCL offer due to their policy for accomodation for insurers :/ ? Im confused as to if you insure you are even allowed to apply for any accomodation on the off chance of a space or just have to automatically find your own by own means of site they suggest!?
    most unis only have accommodation guaranteed to firmers? Just meet the grades of your firm :L

Who did you firm over UCL, just out of curiosity ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma mw)
    tbh im sure most unis have the policy, they can't offer you an accommodation place if you might not even go there, when that room could've gone to someone else who firmed it.
    But I can imagine that you feel stuck if you had no-where to live! There's the student housing i think. This threads a bit old but check it out : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555285
    good luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moiraclaire)
    How big are the wardrobes in Ramsay ?
    Not big enough! They are quite deep and narrow so I found it difficult to get my stuff from the shelf - sometimes it simply got lost somewhere in the darkness, out of my arm's reach... and there's not enough space for hanging clothes which I found frustrating, especially with smart clothes or dresses.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilys)
    Not big enough! They are quite deep and narrow so I found it difficult to get my stuff from the shelf - sometimes it simply got lost somewhere in the darkness, out of my arm's reach... and there's not enough space for hanging clothes which I found frustrating, especially with smart clothes or dresses.
    I'm really going to struggle :L
    Are there draws ? or just a hanging space ?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.