Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    How big are the wardrobes in Ramsay ?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    Oh right I see. So what does the form include?
    are you applying for accommodation? you'll find out if you are.

personal details. preferences. little bit where you put your interests. put a photo on it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else being put off insuring a UCL offer due to their policy for accomodation for insurers :/ ? Im confused as to if you insure you are even allowed to apply for any accomodation on the off chance of a space or just have to automatically find your own by own means of site they suggest!?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma mw)
    Is anyone else being put off insuring a UCL offer due to their policy for accomodation for insurers :/ ? Im confused as to if you insure you are even allowed to apply for any accomodation on the off chance of a space or just have to automatically find your own by own means of site they suggest!?
    most unis only have accommodation guaranteed to firmers? Just meet the grades of your firm :L

Who did you firm over UCL, just out of curiosity ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma mw)
    tbh im sure most unis have the policy, they can't offer you an accommodation place if you might not even go there, when that room could've gone to someone else who firmed it.
    But I can imagine that you feel stuck if you had no-where to live! There's the student housing i think. This threads a bit old but check it out : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555285
    good luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moiraclaire)
    How big are the wardrobes in Ramsay ?
    Not big enough! They are quite deep and narrow so I found it difficult to get my stuff from the shelf - sometimes it simply got lost somewhere in the darkness, out of my arm's reach... and there's not enough space for hanging clothes which I found frustrating, especially with smart clothes or dresses.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilys)
    Not big enough! They are quite deep and narrow so I found it difficult to get my stuff from the shelf - sometimes it simply got lost somewhere in the darkness, out of my arm's reach... and there's not enough space for hanging clothes which I found frustrating, especially with smart clothes or dresses.
    I'm really going to struggle :L
    Are there draws ? or just a hanging space ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willmarks)
    Planning to firm UCL tomorrow but do you have to wait for anything (post or email) before filling out the accomodation form?
    Heya, you will probably get a letter or email (I got a letter) confirming your offer and there was a little booklet about the UCL experience and financial support generally.

Though you do not need to wait for your userid as you can enter your own email address which will allow you to access your userid if it has been issued or it will allow you to register your own personal email address if you don't have a userid, which will allow you to access the Accommodation online services:

https://residences.ucl.ac.uk/StarRez...FbaS7g8dqK9e0T

Entering your own email address:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/our/regForm.do

Hope this helps!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    most unis only have accommodation guaranteed to firmers? Just meet the grades of your firm :L

Who did you firm over UCL, just out of curiosity ?
    haha yeah i know! I haven't firmed or insured yet but I think I'll firm Durham for Natural Science its just its A*AA im quite confident of the grades but with an A* if the final modual doesnt go well its a little risky anyway that is all
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayy1994)
    tbh im sure most unis have the policy, they can't offer you an accommodation place if you might not even go there, when that room could've gone to someone else who firmed it.
    But I can imagine that you feel stuck if you had no-where to live! There's the student housing i think. This threads a bit old but check it out : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555285
    good luck
    yes most Unis dont guarantee accomodation to insurers but for my possible other insurance for instance bath you can apply for accomodation from results day if you are definatly going there with preferances and its most likely you will manage to get some form of student accomodation where as it just sounds like for UCL its a very slim- nil chance :/ and London is a bit of a scary option for me anyway having been for the first time on the open day and living in the countryside etc I will check out that thread thankyou for the responce
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm really going to struggle :L
    Are there draws ? or just a hanging space ?
    The wardrobe is divided into two halves: a hanging space and several shelves. In addition to this, there is a set of 3 drawers but I mainly used it for stationery and books, although you have two hanging shelves as well (so you can use the latter for your study stuff and drawers for clothes - I just always end up with loads of books)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How is it like to live in a twin room? Will your partner come from the same department? Is there a way one can choose with whom to live?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    i haven't firmed UCL yet but will do in the next few days. Just a quick question about accommodation, are the closest halls to the Uni catered only? and how far away is the self catered accommodation? and the en suite accommodation?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is the food at the intercollegiate halls nice? I've read online that it can be inedible at times, is the food really that bad?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sensei_mooni)
    i haven't firmed UCL yet but will do in the next few days. Just a quick question about accommodation, are the closest halls to the Uni catered only? and how far away is the self catered accommodation? and the en suite accommodation?
    There is at least 1 self-catered hall on Gower Street (the same street as UCL, basically), I don't remember the name now but I'm sure you can find more on UCL Accommodation pages.

(Original post by freerun)
    How is it like to live in a twin room? Will your partner come from the same department? Is there a way one can choose with whom to live?
    When the application form was a paper one, you had an option of naming anyone you'd like to live with and they said they would do their best to cater to your preferences (obviously, provided the other person gets the same hall, i.e. ticks similar boxes to yours on the form). I think they try to put you in a room with someone studying a similar degree, preferably from a similar background (UK with UK, international with international etc). I ended up with a girl from Singapore (being from EU myself) and it was pretty nice - we didn't really hang out together but we got on quite well, and she always kept her half of the room clean That said, I know a couple of guys who found it very difficult to cope with their roommates, one of them even decided to move out as the other was snoring Then comes the issue of having your friends stay over, coming back late and drunk etc. I never had problems with either of those, my roomate was extremely tolerant
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sensei_mooni)
    It's very varied. Both catered and self catered range from 2 minutes to half an hour away, and en suite is a pretty random mix too though the majority of en-suite halls are 20+ minutes away. The UCL accommodation site literally has all the information you need.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys So basically I'm considering putting UCL as my insurance! And I was just looking through the website about accommodation. I definitely want to go for a self-catered ensuite, and I'd looked at the following houses:

Prankerd
    Frances Gardner
    Goldsmid

If anyone lives here, or knows anything about them, I'd love to know what you think
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine.)
    Hey guys So basically I'm considering putting UCL as my insurance! And I was just looking through the website about accommodation. I definitely want to go for a self-catered ensuite, and I'd looked at the following houses:

Prankerd
    Frances Gardner
    Goldsmid

If anyone lives here, or knows anything about them, I'd love to know what you think
    It really doesn't matter which you like the best, as you cannot choose; it's done randomly. You can try and fix your accommodation application, by saying your main priority is an en-suite, for example, and that it has to be within close proximity of the university buildings if the building you prefer is, but even then it is not guaranteed. Just look through peoples comments on other threads; people have been given things completely opposite what they wanted. You just have to hope for the best.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At my interview for medicine I had to give them a passport photo so does that mean I don't have to attach one on the online application form for accommodation? X
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Commonwealth if anyone has any questions about that or Inter-col halls.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 19, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.