The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kirino1
west london, near heathrow airport (as everyone knows it)
Im only 40mins by tube from UCL.. but id rather live out than at home..

ah fair enough :smile:
yar i get what you mean, would you be aloud to though? i swear theres a catchment area to get in to accomodation? i could be wrong though :biggrin:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hi, can someone please help me! I've been getting ridiculously worried about accommodation, and I really would appreciate some advice! Sorry if the post seems lengthy!
I have two very important factors to me: proximity to UCL and being catered. I would say being catered is THE most important factor for me. So, on my form I put "catered" as most important factor. However, I just KNOW that this means I am going to end up in Ifor Evans- I REALLY don't want to go there! I know it's random, but why would they put me in my preferred intercollegiate halls that are closer, if they don't even KNOW that I want to go close?
So put proximity, right?
I am undecided- how guaranteed is it that I'll still get catered, which ultimately is more important? On the form it said my preferences aren't guaranteed, on the website it said they take into account: self/catered, cost and most important factor.
I don't like taking risks. I DO NOT want self-catered. However, putting catered as most important just seems silly to me when I've already been asked whether I want catered!
PLEASE HELP!
Reply 6302
Original post by idathien

5) Location: Connaught Hall is nearest to UCL campus (so UCL students should take note). In fact, the Hall is less than a minute walk away from the UCL Law Faculty (lazy law students, your pick!). LSE is about 20-30 minutes walk away.

Anything else? :smile:

College hall is practically next to UCL!
Reply 6303
Original post by snagjaz
Is Commonwealth a sociable residence? Also, is it quite annoying not even having a sink in the room? X

I never have got all this "is x sociable?" it's all down to who YOU are.
There will always be the internationals who stay in their room forever, but if you want to meet people and be sociable then meet people and be sociable!

Yes, I'd love a sink, but it's hardly a big issue.
Original post by stuckinthemud
Hi, can someone please help me! I've been getting ridiculously worried about accommodation, and I really would appreciate some advice! Sorry if the post seems lengthy!
I have two very important factors to me: proximity to UCL and being catered. I would say being catered is THE most important factor for me. So, on my form I put "catered" as most important factor. However, I just KNOW that this means I am going to end up in Ifor Evans- I REALLY don't want to go there! I know it's random, but why would they put me in my preferred intercollegiate halls that are closer, if they don't even KNOW that I want to go close?
So put proximity, right?
I am undecided- how guaranteed is it that I'll still get catered, which ultimately is more important? On the form it said my preferences aren't guaranteed, on the website it said they take into account: self/catered, cost and most important factor.
I don't like taking risks. I DO NOT want self-catered. However, putting catered as most important just seems silly to me when I've already been asked whether I want catered!
PLEASE HELP!

the thing is what youve put are just preferences there is no guarente by any means that youll get that im afriad although they do factor them in from what i know.. its all the luck of the draw though.
Original post by calumsteele1
the thing is what youve put are just preferences there is no guarente by any means that youll get that im afriad although they do factor them in from what i know.. its all the luck of the draw though.

I realise that, but I'm wondering what to do to put myself in the best position possible...I would just like some advice on how likely I am to get catered if I don't put it as my most important factor.
I realise that, but I'm wondering what to do to put myself in the best position possible...I would just like some advice on how likely I am to get catered if I don't put it as my most important factor.

well it certainly wont help your chances of getting catered if you dont put it as your most important factor, especially as theres a lot of new students going to ucl each year and limited spaced in catered halls. but im not an expert so could be wrong :biggrin:
well it certainly wont help your chances of getting catered if you dont put it as your most important factor, especially as theres a lot of new students going to ucl each year and limited spaced in catered halls. but im not an expert so could be wrong :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: I think I'm going to ring up accommodation and ask, there's no point in second guessing! Although they probably won't be open tomorrow! I mean, I know that I'd rather be far away and catered than close and self-catered, but I just feel as though I'm making it very easy for the accommodation peeps to put me in the one that's far away! I've heard though that they really just don't look at the form, they just look at most important factor...Oh well. At the end of the day wherever I go I'll be happy :biggrin: Waiting til August is going to be awful though!
Reply 6308
yar i get what you mean, would you be aloud to though? i swear theres a catchment area to get in to accomodation? i could be wrong though :biggrin:

Ill get accommodation, but I think UCL gives preference to those who live out of London
So put proximity, right?
PLEASE HELP!

I would have thought it would be better to put intercollegiate halls as number 1 in the preferences section, as they are all catered (afaik) and for the most part no more than about 10 minutes away from UCL: the only exceptions here are Nutford and Lilian Penson, the latter of which is graduate only. Unless you don't particularly want to go intercollegiate - basically if you put regular catered as no.1 then you risk the toss-up between Ramsay and Ifor which are two extremes, or you put intercollegiate and get a compromise.
Original post by kirino1

Ill get accommodation, but I think UCL gives preference to those who live out of London

UCL treat all applications equally regardless of where the applicant lives- I know people who live in Camden who got into the halls they wanted at UCL.

nah UCL doesnt have a catchment, i know people who lived in camden before uni who got places in halls. Quen Mary and Kings do though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
nah UCL doesnt have a catchment, i know people who lived in camden before uni who got places in halls

oh, i was always told there was a cut off line around the m4 or something like that for london unis and accommodation?
Original post by dirtyoldriver
I would have thought it would be better to put intercollegiate halls as number 1 in the preferences section, as they are all catered (afaik) and for the most part no more than about 10 minutes away from UCL: the only exceptions here are Nutford and Lilian Penson, the latter of which is graduate only. Unless you don't particularly want to go intercollegiate - basically if you put regular catered as no.1 then you risk the toss-up between Ramsay and Ifor which are two extremes, or you put intercollegiate and get a compromise.

No, intercollegiates are all my top choice....I really want to go! But Ifor Evans>Nutford IMO, so I don't know. Plus then if I don't get intercollegiate, might they put me in self-catered? Thank you, I think this seems sensible though!
oh, i was always told there was a cut off line around the m4 or something like that for london unis and accommodation?

out of interest where did you hear that from? sorry to say but thats nots true. each uni has a different policy:
ucl- dont mind where you live
queen mary- have to live outside the m25 to get into halls, quite strict on this
kings- give preference to those outside the m25 but are usually able to accomodate those whose homes are in outer london
brunel- dont mind where you live
westminster & middx also dont guarentee accomodation to those in the m25

Think that's for going to a London uni previously:
Guaranteed blah blah blah if...."they have spent no previous period of time living in a residence associated with an institution of higher education located in the London area (i.e. within the M25 motorway)"
Original post by jelly1000
out of interest where did you hear that from? sorry to say but thats nots true. each uni has a different policy:
ucl- dont mind where you live
queen mary- have to live outside the m25 to get into halls, quite strict on this
kings- give preference to those outside the m25 but are usually able to accomodate those whose homes are in outer london
brunel- dont mind where you live
westminster & middx also dont guarentee accomodation to those in the m25

ah i may have meant the m25, all these roads are the same to me :biggrin:
thank you for clearing it up though :smile:
Hey guys...just firmed UCL and looked a bit at the accommodation options...so far I've decided to go for a twin room. Arthur Tattershall and John Tovell seem to be the best option when it comes to proximity to the Bloomsbury campus... does anyone have any stories/experiences with these two houses to share?

Moreover, does anyone know how can I increase my chances of getting a twin room in the residences near the main campus? (Campell Houses and Ramsay Hall look good as well)

Anyway, if I put on my application that I want a shared room I'm more likely get one, right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6318
Hi, I firmed UCL a couple hours ago and I've been looking into residence options. I know you're not able to choose, so I was wondering how much do they take into account your preferences when you are assigned a residence, as I have heard truly creepy stories about some places that actually make me feel scared that I can't choose, but that's life i guess.

Basically, I prefer being comfortable over it being cheaper. I would preferably want my own bathroom, or if not I'd like to share it with a reduced number of people. It's not the most important issue for me that the room is very very big.

On the other hand, I would like it to be not too far from UCL. But I dont want to get a residence that I wouldnt like just because it is at like, say, 5 minutes from university. I think taking the train or bus everyday is quite an expense, although I'm not sure if, as students, we'll have some kind of finantial advantages for public transport (they don't in my country). I'd be happy to walk to university if it is 15-20 minutes away, but not if it is much further.

So based on my interests, I've found that maybe John Dodgson or James Lighthill would be good for me, and maybe somewhere like Ramsay Hall not so much. I just dont know much about the influence of my opinion on decisions and I would appreciate if someone could guide me.

PS. I dont want to sound extremely picky, but coming from another country and with my family far away I don't want to have a bad experience in my residence.
Reply 6319
By the way, I was also wondering about the pros and cons of intercollegiate halls..

Latest

Trending

Trending