The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EJG
Hi, I have been looking at the thread and can see the Ramsay is meant to be the most sociable hall but I'm not sure if I want to go catered. Is there any really sociable self catered accommodation i.e hall parties etc.

Every hall has hall parties. You can make friends anywhere, if your flat's quiet then go and talk to some other flats or hang around in the common room/courtyard. The unsociable/sociable thing is overhyped as an issue - Ramsay is very loud and 'party-hall' esque but there's going to be times in the year when that's not the kind of environment you want to be in.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Wish I Could Change This
I've finally changed UCAS track and firmed UCL, any idea how long until I get my accommodation letter/pack etc? Is it sent by post or e-mail?

I'm pretty sure I didn't get my accommodation pack until after the deadline somehow, if I were you I'd do your research online and fill it all out ASAP, there's nothing in the information pack that you can't find on the website :smile:
Damn,

Need to sort this out quickly!
Hey guys, I have some questions regarding the application:

1) How do I apply for Intercollegiate Halls?
2) How should I structure my application so that my chances of getting a single en-suite room in an Intercollegiate Hall near UCL are maximized?
3) Should I get an offer which does not satisfy me, can I swap with another student?
4) If I stay in a self-catered house, can I visit catered halls during breakfast and dinner and pay for the meals?

Thanks in advance
Reply 6444
Original post by gorilla94

2) How should I structure my application so that my chances of getting a single en-suite room in an Intercollegiate Hall near UCL are maximized?
3) Should I get an offer which does not satisfy me, can I swap with another student?
4) If I stay in a self-catered house, can I visit catered halls during breakfast and dinner and pay for the meals?

Thanks in advance

1) They're on the same form as normal UCL accommodation, just choose Intercollegiate as your preference rather than halls or student houses. I *think* it is possible to express a preference for which one if you choose intercollegiate.

2) There are more single ensuites in the intercollegiate than UCL rooms. If you put a fairly high maximum price and choose your preferences as single/ensuite, then you may get what you want.

3) A transfer list comes out early in the first term. I've no idea if many people use it or get any good results from it.

4)No. But then why not just go to a cafe or shop and buy it there?

Thanks in advance

2. Well you have to decide your most important factor, either Proximity or En-suite. If you want an en-suite, put a very high max price limit, ie £200, as that will mean a high chance of an en-suite, and I would then put proximity to try to make sure it was closer to UCL than some of the en-suites.

3. Yes, as far as I am aware, although obviously you need to notify them by a certain time.

4. Not as far as I am aware. I doubt it because the hall would then not know how many meals to put on each day.
Original post by PJ991
1) They're on the same form as normal UCL accommodation, just choose Intercollegiate as your preference rather than halls or student houses. I *think* it is possible to express a preference for which one if you choose intercollegiate.

2) There are more single ensuites in the intercollegiate than UCL rooms. If you put a fairly high maximum price and choose your preferences as single/ensuite, then you may get what you want.

3) A transfer list comes out early in the first term. I've no idea if many people use it or get any good results from it.

4)No. But then why not just go to a cafe or shop and buy it there?

1) Thing is, there isn't any choice for intercollegiate or halls/student houses. Only 'Most Important Factor', which would be 'en-suite single room' and maximum weekly rent which I can put up to 250 pounds. On the next tab 'Type of Accomodation' there is only the choice for catered (yes,no,any) and if I want to have a single room. Do you think that 'en-suite single room', 250 pounds limit and catered would land me an inter near UCL? (Basically, the only risk here is that I get Lillian Penson Hall, which is too far)

2,3,4 covered :smile:
Reply 6447
1) Thing is, there isn't any choice for intercollegiate or halls/student houses. Only 'Most Important Factor', which would be 'en-suite single room' and maximum weekly rent which I can put up to 250 pounds. On the next tab 'Type of Accomodation' there is only the choice for catered (yes,no,any) and if I want to have a single room. Do you think that 'en-suite single room', 250 pounds limit and catered would land me an inter near UCL? (Basically, the only risk here is that I get Lillian Penson Hall, which is too far)

2,3,4 covered :smile:

oh well. back when i did it last year you could put intercollegiate as your preferred type. (i think we had to rank student houses, halls, and intercollegiate)

lillian penson hall is only for postgrads.
Original post by PJ991
oh well. back when i did it last year you could put intercollegiate as your preferred type. (i think we had to rank student houses, halls, and intercollegiate)

lillian penson hall is only for postgrads.

Alright, thanks for the assistance
Original post by Wish I Could Change This
I've finally changed UCAS track and firmed UCL, any idea how long until I get my accommodation letter/pack etc? Is it sent by post or e-mail?

download the form off the internet, fill it out and send it off ASAP.
Original post by purplefrog
download the form off the internet, fill it out and send it off ASAP.

The accomodation "form" is digital now, didn't think there was a manual form?
Original post by kingcoltzan
The accomodation "form" is digital now, didn't think there was a manual form?

Ah right, last year they had a PDF of the form which you had to print off, fill out and post it in. Guess they've gone paperless this year.
Reply 6452
When you apply you shouldn't get a confirmation e-mail or any further communication until August should you??
Reply 6453
heyy guys!

was wondering if anyone could help me
I cancelled my initial accomodation application but didnt close the browser and instead just filled it all out again.. sending it off when done. BUT something they didnt ask me for again was my photo.. does this mean they still have it from my last application or i completely missed the step (even though the option to upload a pic wasnt there..)

do i need to call them or email asking if they have my pic or should i just accept that they have it?

i know this sounds like a stupid thing to be worrying about.. but its really bothering me =/

They didn't send me a confirmation email that they recieved my application either... We're they supposed to?
Reply 6454
Original post by kirino1
heyy guys!

was wondering if anyone could help me
I cancelled my initial accomodation application but didnt close the browser and instead just filled it all out again.. sending it off when done. BUT something they didnt ask me for again was my photo.. does this mean they still have it from my last application or i completely missed the step (even though the option to upload a pic wasnt there..)

do i need to call them or email asking if they have my pic or should i just accept that they have it?

i know this sounds like a stupid thing to be worrying about.. but its really bothering me =/

They didn't send me a confirmation email that they recieved my application either... We're they supposed to?

Oh my how many times have I heard this question haha.... Okay I know people who did the EXACT same thing as you- and UCL didn't ask for a photo when they tried to complete their accommodation application again. So don't worry! I can only assume that they have your photo :smile:

Secondly- nobody that I know of has received any sort of acknowledgement/confirmation of any sort after submitting their accommodation application. So don't worry....again!

Well done on your offer! you might like to join the UCL freshers 2012 group on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/262619213816078/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .Ed.
Has this worked for anyone ? I'm considering trying it.

It didn't work for me and I haven't met anyone its worked for.... but theres no harm in trying- ey.
Original post by coffee-spoons
It didn't work for me and I haven't met anyone its worked for.... but theres no harm in trying- ey.

You can't do that anymore cause it is all digital now. Unless you write your "note" in the disabilities/special needs section, which might not go down very well.....
Original post by Tateco
Do they not start allocating accommodation until August or do they do it now but don't tell you until then? Because I applied a couple of days ago and couldn't select halls as a preference, only student houses. This doesn't matter to me because I wanted to be in student houses anyway, but I was just wondering whether that meant they had already started handing some out...

you got rejected from cambridge?!!?
Reply 6458
Question: Are we allowed to stay in the accommodation durng the christmas and easter period? :smile:
Reply 6459
Original post by the real viper
you got rejected from cambridge?!!?

Afraid som after being pooled :tongue: UCL was my second choice though so Im quite content :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending