Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The UCL accomodation thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    It's worth bearing in mind that at the very least on my xbox I can't access the internet as once you plug it in you have to 'validate' the connection through a web browser using your room number and socket code. I'm not sure if you can access web browsing through PS3 though - if you can it might still work.
    Sorry just to clarify is it just web browsing you have a problem with on the xbox? Or can you not really play online either?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikhil.shah)
    Sorry just to clarify is it just web browsing you have a problem with on the xbox? Or can you not really play online either?
    you need the browser to be able to authenticate the connection. if you can't authenticate the connection, you can't play online.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was wondering- has any of you who have unconditional offers already heard about accommodation? Have you been allocated one? Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    what university of london exams? you do ucl exams. and your degree is from UCL not University of London.
    haha, Thanks for clearing that up !

I was confused
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominika4)
    Hi! I was wondering- has any of you who have unconditional offers already heard about accommodation? Have you been allocated one? Thanks!
    Nothing so far, just a mention on the new students website that info will be forthcoming shortly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great, I've missed UCL's accomodation deadline. Do you know if there is still something I can do? (BTW, I'm not in the UK and I don't know anyone there so renting a flat would be hardly possible and really expensive I guess...)
    Thanks a lot!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ric_94)
    Great, I've missed UCL's accomodation deadline. Do you know if there is still something I can do? (BTW, I'm not in the UK and I don't know anyone there so renting a flat would be hardly possible and really expensive I guess...)
    Thanks a lot!
    You can still submit an application but it will be given lower priority and you won't be guaranteed. The best thing to do is send one in and then make preparations for potentially having to find private housing come September. It sucks but it's not impossible - I think UCL has recommendations for alternative housing services over the internet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can still submit an application but it will be given lower priority and you won't be guaranteed. The best thing to do is send one in and then make preparations for potentially having to find private housing come September. It sucks but it's not impossible - I think UCL has recommendations for alternative housing services over the internet.
    Thanks! I'm going to look for it right now!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I´ d like to ask whether you have a option to choose vegetarian food in the catered halls. There is no information on food in the halls at the ucl website....Thanks!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ric_94)
    Thanks a lot!
    you can still send an application in. You might well still get a place.

Otherwise, private it is. Thousands of people from abroad manage it every year.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not hardly possible to find accommodation. I turned up for my year abroad in Milan with nothing sorted and found a room within two days. If anything, London would be easier to find something in, considering how many students there are here.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    It's not hardly possible to find accommodation. I turned up for my year abroad in Milan with nothing sorted and found a room within two days. If anything, London would be easier to find something in, considering how many students there are here.
    Can you recommend something?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you recommend something?
    What do you mean? I can't recommend a specific house. There are loads of estate agents if you want to rent a studio flat, or I'm sure google could point you in the direction of some websites to find housemates. Or ask the university if they have a service.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    EU student here. With international orientation being on the 19th-20th of September, is it naive to assume that accommodation will be completely ready by that date?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosBlanq)
    EU student here. With international orientation being on the 19th-20th of September, is it naive to assume that accommodation will be completely ready by that date?
    Nope, if you need a room it will be there. The only possible exception will be if there is any kind of refurbishment - I arrived at the normal non-international time in September and I was missing some pieces of furniture for a week or two as they had just done it up. But yeah, they have to keep the accommodation at an acceptable standard as people live in it over summer
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it not awkward sharing a room?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, if you need a room it will be there. The only possible exception will be if there is any kind of refurbishment - I arrived at the normal non-international time in September and I was missing some pieces of furniture for a week or two as they had just done it up. But yeah, they have to keep the accommodation at an acceptable standard as people live in it over summer
    Thanks! I think even just a roof would pretty much suffice for a few days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I assume this is against the policy regarding accommodation in the Halls of Residence at UCL, but how easy is it to get away with someone staying the night in your room?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kylewstorey)
    I assume this is against the policy regarding accommodation in the Halls of Residence at UCL, but how easy is it to get away with someone staying the night in your room?
    The rules say that you're allowed guests for 3 consecutive nights. You have to sign them in and you're responsible for their behaviour.

How many people pay attention to this rule is another matter. A flatmate of mine moved her boyfriend in for the last month and a half.

Overnight you Should be fine but sign them in or you face issues if caught.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I´ d like to ask whether you have a option to choose vegetarian food in the catered halls. There is no information on food in the halls at the ucl website....Thanks!
    I remember reading something on the UCL website about how there's usually a vegetarian option served at every meal. I don't think you need to specifiy that you're vegetarian to the hall, you just chose the vegetarian options when you eat in the cafeteria.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2014
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.