The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zaraashaikh
Ocford (rejection obviously), UCL, LSE, warwick and westminister. Just waiting for LSE and then going to firm UCL

Yeah mine were pretty similar: Oxford (rejection obviously haha), UCL, Kings and Durham
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by JudithG
Is it weird that I've been able to fill out the application (haven't sent it off yet mind) before actually firming...?

No definitely not, I did too, I'm a little bit pedantic but its good to be prepared haha
Original post by procrastinatorxl
Yeah mine were pretty similar: Oxford (rejection obviously haha), UCL, Kings and Durham

Have you heard back from all of them?
Yeah about about a month ago, I was never really that in to Durham I went to the open day and it confirmed my thoughts that it was quite snobby. What about you? Did you do A level or IB?
Have you heard back from all of them?

Yeah about about a month ago, I was never really that in to Durham I went to the open day and it confirmed my thoughts that it was quite snobby. What about you? Did you do A level or IB?

I'm an international student so I haven't been to any open days. A level what about you?
Do we need to apply quickly to accomodation or not? Is accomodation allocated first come first serve?????
So if I apply in a few weeks is there a difference?
Will the ensuite rooms run out???
Original post by cuty123
Do we need to apply quickly to accomodation or not? Is accomodation allocated first come first serve?????
So if I apply in a few weeks is there a difference?
Will the ensuite rooms run out???

No, accommodation isn't on a first come first serve. It wouldn't make sense because there are people who would get offers later this year. This is straight from the ucl accommodation page:

[h="4"]Undergraduate[/h]Unconditional Firm - July
Conditional Firm - mid August (post-results)
Conditional Insurance - late August/early September
Exchange - July/August

Hope this helps :smile:
Thanks a lot! I thin I'll do the same, have you got any idea why they want a photo, I was thinking maybe student I.D but it seems a little premature.

It's just so they identify you when you get your keys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
I'm 90% sure it's for your student card. I know for a fact that Cambridge uses the picture you supply with your application in October :/ (and people only find that out once they arrive a year later)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not its just to identify you when you move in and get your keys. Your student card photo gets taken in fresher's week. The photo is for UCL student residences and they never seem to overlap with UCL in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DannyAbba
Hey!
Let me try to answer the ones I can:
Ensuite means you get a bathroom/toilet in the room. Single room means it's just a room with no living area. Ensuites could be single ensuites (room with bathroom/toilet within) or double ensuites (room with bathroom/toilet within as well as a living area separate from the bedroom).
Some student houses are catered so I doubt that's the differentiating factor. Regarding food, some people might not like the menu that the hall canteen serves per time. And in such cases, it's their loss if they don't go. Also, self-catered residences offer more flexibility (in terms of nature of food, as well as frequency). Some days when you feel full or maybe got a free meal at a friend's place or something, you save some extra pounds. Whereas if you were in catered halls, any free meal you get elsewhere would be somewhat unnecessary, as you would still need to eat at the canteen or forfeit part of your bill.

I stand to be corrected if I am wrong in any way. I hope this helps a bit...

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT: The terms 'single' and 'double' refer to the size/occupancy of the bed in the room, i.e. for one person and two people respectively. Pardon me.

All student houses are self catered :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emanueladiana
So unconditional offers do have priority?

Also, I'd like to get the into the cheapest halls possible, can I put that as that 'one factor', or should I just put a low maximum budget and pray?

I don't think so its all randomly allocated they just find out first.
I don't think that's an option, there are only 4-5 factors you can choose from, or there were last year anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Virginiamc
I've firmed UCL for September 2015 entry and I am just curious about which is the best self catered halls and if they are as social as catered e.g. Ramsay. I'm aware that you don't get to choose but I'm wondering which one I would most likely be put into.

Also, do only certain halls have en-suite rooms? and if so which ones

Thanks

The ensuite halls are listed on the Ucl accommodation website

Posted from TSR Mobile
do unconditional firms get preference? I assume we do right because the accomodation offers are given earlier to us?
Original post by solarplexus
do unconditional firms get preference? I assume we do right because the accomodation offers are given earlier to us?

Yep that's right!
Yep that's right!

yes i thought so, they should anyway lol :smile:

oh yeah do you know how 'competitive <£212 single ensuites are?
Original post by solarplexus
yes i thought so, they should anyway lol :smile:

oh yeah do you know how 'competitive <£212 single ensuites are?

Sorry I have no idea! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Queen,Daenerys
No, accommodation isn't on a first come first serve. It wouldn't make sense because there are people who would get offers later this year. This is straight from the ucl accommodation page:

Undergraduate

Unconditional Firm - July
Conditional Firm - mid August (post-results)
Conditional Insurance - late August/early September
Exchange - July/August

Hope this helps :smile:

no actually,... so it makes no difference if i apply now and if i apply in a few weeks???
will good rooms run out???
Original post by cuty123
no actually,... so it makes no difference if i apply now and if i apply in a few weeks???
will good rooms run out???

I'm not sure whether good rooms will be occupied or if you'll definitely get your first choice no matter what, all I know is is that it doesn't matter if you apply now or in a few weeks. You'll get what they can read from the criteria you've given them if you apply now or in 2 months as long as it's within the deadline.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is anyone else waiting for department open days before their firm and apply for accommodation? Mine is on 25th March and I'm worried that the random allocation system is not as 'random' as they suggest :L Will applying later affect my chances of getting the best places?

Latest

Trending

Trending