The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by freefood
For the photograph, I'm assuming we take a picture then resize it?

I suck at all things digital :frown: how/where would I resize it to 768 pixels wide by 1024 pixels high? (and 500k in size?! what does that even mean?)

And does 'passport standard' mean we shouldn't smile in the photo?

I was smiling in mine, don't see why it would matter?!

and to resize images i think there are websites and apps if you google for it? Or you can copy and paste the photo into Microsoft Paint and make it smaller on there
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by cateyes9
I have a place at UCL in September 2016; I'm not too sure about how the accommodation works and where other 1st year students will be staying.

Could someone explain to me what I need to look into/choose/apply for?
Cheers

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation
https://residences.ucl.ac.uk/StarRezPortal/Default.aspx?Params=L9ezxPcQnQsDuaBX%2bLFbaS7g8dqK9e0T

You need a UCL userid to apply to accommodation.
personally i found the application system really shitty
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Thanks!
Also, you wouldn't happen to know if it is a case of first-come, first-served, would you? :smile:

I don't know for sure but I've been told that it's not - apparently they start allocating accommodation after the deadline
Original post by sansasstark
I don't know for sure but I've been told that it's not - apparently they start allocating accommodation after the deadline

Hmm, but I am worried in case they look at the applications in order of who sent it? :redface:
Hey guys!

I firmed PPE for 2016. I already applied for the accomodation, I chose 4 intercollegiate halls and the ucl student halls ... Do you know if I am guaranteed a place?

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to clear some things up for you guys if you're wondering!

All first year students are GUARANTEED a place at a UCL residence as long as you haven't studied in London as a student before, and you've put UCL as your firm choice. My parents live in Islington (a London borough) and I got accommodation and I also know other friends who got places in UCL halls/houses even though they lived in London.
I got my UCL accommodation offer sometime in mid July, and when you receive your offer you only have THREE days to accept it and pay a £500 deposit. So if you don't pay a deposit within 3 days you automatically loose your place. So make sure you have this money available to pay the deposit!
It's not allocated on a first come first served basis, as long as you apply before the accommodation deadline and meet the UCL requirements you will get accommodation! Regardless if you applied the day before the deadline or the day the portal opened!
When you put down your price preferences be realistic! A lot of people put down £200+ per week for accommodation which is fine if you can afford it, but don't be shocked if you get an offer which is £215 a week and then you realise that actually budget wise you can't afford such expensive accommodation, that's why during october a lot of students ask for swaps primarily for cheaper rooms as en-suite rooms are generally a hell of a lot more expensive than non-en suite rooms.
I live at Schafer currently and its really nice, theres a cleaner everyday who cleans the kitchen and the bathrooms (2 bathrooms between 5 of us), the kitchen is pretty big (have a massive table, full sized fridge, freezer, decent cooker, loads of storage space etc). The rooms aren't that small (it is student accommodation, a lot of people have unrealistic expectations..), and the staff at Schafer are honestly awesome!! The moment I've asked them for anything (e.g. replacement microwave, fix a tap etc) it's literally been done within a couple of hours and they are really nice about it.
I agree that UCL does have ridiculously high rents but generally the service (or at least at Schafer) is worth it :smile:
Original post by oliviablackmore

All first year students are GUARANTEED a place at a UCL residence as long as you haven't studied in London as a student before, and you've put UCL as your firm choice. My parents live in Islington (a London borough) and I got accommodation and I also know other friends who got places in UCL halls/houses even though they lived in London.
I got my UCL accommodation offer sometime in mid July, and when you receive your offer you only have THREE days to accept it and pay a £500 deposit. So if you don't pay a deposit within 3 days you automatically loose your place. So make sure you have this money available to pay the deposit!
It's not allocated on a first come first served basis, as long as you apply before the accommodation deadline and meet the UCL requirements you will get accommodation! Regardless if you applied the day before the deadline or the day the portal opened!
When you put down your price preferences be realistic! A lot of people put down £200+ per week for accommodation which is fine if you can afford it, but don't be shocked if you get an offer which is £215 a week and then you realise that actually budget wise you can't afford such expensive accommodation, that's why during october a lot of students ask for swaps primarily for cheaper rooms as en-suite rooms are generally a hell of a lot more expensive than non-en suite rooms.
I live at Schafer currently and its really nice, theres a cleaner everyday who cleans the kitchen and the bathrooms (2 bathrooms between 5 of us), the kitchen is pretty big (have a massive table, full sized fridge, freezer, decent cooker, loads of storage space etc). The rooms aren't that small (it is student accommodation, a lot of people have unrealistic expectations..), and the staff at Schafer are honestly awesome!! The moment I've asked them for anything (e.g. replacement microwave, fix a tap etc) it's literally been done within a couple of hours and they are really nice about it.
I agree that UCL does have ridiculously high rents but generally the service (or at least at Schafer) is worth it :smile:

Thanks, that really helped a lot :smile: - would you definitely recommend student houses over halls?
I still haven't applied. :redface:
Original post by oliviablackmore

Thank you so much for the info :smile: Do you have any recommendations for what kinda budget I should put if I want to stay within a 20 min walking distance to campus and have ensuite? I already live in London and so it wouldn't be worth spending more than 185 pw right?
(edited 7 years ago)
I still haven't applied. :redface:

Lol same. I'm too anxious over what I will be assigned!
Original post by gwagon
Lol same. I'm too anxious over what I will be assigned!

That's exactly why I'm refraining from applying! I want ensuite, but I didn't see any steps for indicating a preference towards ensuite? :s-smilie:
I'd also like something within walking distance, not sure about the budget to set in this instance. :redface:
I am thinking about putting connaught as my 1st and house for 2nd !
Are you choosing single or ensuite? :smile:

Original post by silvanabanana
I have applied to connaught as my first choice and a house for my second :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's exactly why I'm refraining from applying! I want ensuite, but I didn't see any steps for indicating a preference towards ensuite? :s-smilie:
I'd also like something within walking distance, not sure about the budget to set in this instance. :redface:

I think for that you will have to set location as your first priority and if you want an ensuite it says you might have to include a budget of 200 plus(so expensive lol).
Original post by gwagon
I think for that you will have to set location as your first priority and if you want an ensuite it says you might have to include a budget of 200 plus(so expensive lol).

Am I being stupid here - because I didn't see a stage where you can set your first priority? :colondollar:
I was going to maybe put around £300, but I didn't want that to be taken as 'stick me in a studio miles away from campus'? :ashamed:
:getmecoat:
Hey Guys , I will have my first-year in UCL this upcoming September.. I plan to register in College/ Connaught/ International Hall , can somebody give me pros and cons of living in the following hall?? Cheers !
Original post by hannahpaige
Is anyone staying at Dexion Felda private halls in Wembley?

I should be, yes!
What price range should i set if i want to stay in connaught hall en-suite? 230 or 240?
Original post by cateyes9
Thanks, that really helped a lot :smile: - would you definitely recommend student houses over halls?

When it comes to choosing either houses/halls it completely depends on what you want. From what I've heard the student halls have basically school dinners food (nothing wrong with that) and you have to eat between 5-7pm no later. If you absolutely can't cook go for houses obviously, but if you can cook/arent that bothered i would prefer to go for houses. This is because its more of an 'apartment' feeling if you live in houses, as you're sharing a kitchen/bathroom with people, and i find its way easier to make friends as you're often in the kitchen cooking/studying/chilling whatever with them, whereas in halls there are like 2 to 3 big kitchens per floor between about 30ish people as they're not used as often.
Original post by zaybun
Thank you so much for the info :smile: Do you have any recommendations for what kinda budget I should put if I want to stay within a 20 min walking distance to campus and have ensuite? I already live in London and so it wouldn't be worth spending more than 185 pw right?

Between about 160-185 should make sure you're within 20 mins of UCL. I pay 175 a week right now and i know most of my friends who are within walking distance are within that bracket as well (apart from en suite then you're talking 200+)..
Hey everyone! Technical issue here regarding the accommodation application.
I'm an incoming Erasmus student at UCL starting September 2016.I have just completed and submitted my application for accommodation.

About the photo: I'm not quite sure it was uploaded. It didn't show up in the box before I clicked "Save & Continue". I tried multiple times and it was the correct size and file format and everything. In the end I clicked "Save & Continue" after I had tried everything but I'm still not sure it's been uploaded.

Can anybody help? Did I do it right? Did I do it wrong? What happened when you made your application? Was it the same?

Thanks in advance
Cheers!! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending