The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I can upload my answer to this question which I got 20/20 in. Give me a second...
(c) 2007 - The West Wing of TSR

Enjoy :smile:
The West Wing
(c) 2007 - The West Wing of TSR

Enjoy :smile:

You are a lifesaver :biggrin:
Positive reps for you haha :smile:
Thanks a lot
Reply 4
Good answer though if I'm honest, Im very surprised that answer got full marks...
Rorytheking
Good answer though if I'm honest, Im very surprised that answer got full marks...

Really? I'm quite proficient at exams, my unit 4 paper was sent out by the chief examiner as a model answer.
Reply 6
The West Wing
Really? I'm quite proficient at exams, my unit 4 paper was sent out by the chief examiner as a model answer.

My only reason for saying this, and I've got the Mark Scheme right in front of me, is that the question is further EU integration.

It says- "A significant minority chose to ignore two key words of this question ‘further’ and ‘integration’ and merely listed the advantages and disadvantages/ This was thus a limitation on their progress."

Do you see my point?
Reply 7
What I mean is, you only mentioned the advantages/disadvantages of integration, not so much further integration
Rorytheking
My only reason for saying this, and I've got the Mark Scheme right in front of me, is that the question is further EU integration.

It says- "A significant minority chose to ignore two key words of this question ‘further’ and ‘integration’ and merely listed the advantages and disadvantages/ This was thus a limitation on their progress."

Do you see my point?

To be honest after each exam I've ever done the examiner reports always bear no resemblance to what I write yet they always give me full marks or next to full marks in any case. I don't believe in following rigorously broad and all-encompassing statements in examiner reports when clearly there are different ways to interpret and approach each question.

By making the argument for the success of existing EU integration, that implies that further EU integration is also desirable in order to further a current trend and I think that is a clear theme throughout my essay.
Reply 9
Fair enough, you've got a good point there. I'm printing it off right now...

Also you er, wouldnt have any tips on Politics AS would you? Cheers
Rorytheking
Fair enough, you've got a good point there. I'm printing it off right now...

Also you er, wouldnt have any tips on Politics AS would you? Cheers

Oh I practically teach the year 12s in my school :p:. The best advice I could give is to learn as many examples as possible and follow the rule that there is no such thing as giving too many examples in an Edexcel exam since that's how they differentiate at the top.
Cheers bro. I've got a mock tommorrow and have a very good idea this'll come up so will be taking several notes from your answer...:wink:
Reply 12
As someone who works for the dark side, I can tell you the examiners' reports are merely an overview of the team leader after the marking has been done. The most interesting bits are what they say went wrong - do pay attention to those comments.
The mark scheme represents what the team leader thinks will be the most common approach to the question, but this is only after he/she has checked a few scripts. It then forms the basis for discussion for the whole marking team and there may well be extra points raised or changed. It is a guide and other approaches are valid and often appear. As long as a marker is consistent and knowledgable they are allowed a fair degree of latitude. So if you chose an unusual angle, but covered the question topic and showed good knowledge etc. I'm going to reward you.:smile: However, if you turn in a load of doggy doo saying its radical (and the bottom grade answers have to be seen to be believed:eek: ) I won't be a happy bunny:mad:
So in a nutshell, do read the guides but remember they are just that and that's how we use them.:biggrin:
Finally, the Edexcel philosophy is to mark positively. I like - I reward :biggrin:
Reply 13
If you can't find resources, feel free to use my wikispace

http://liambellamywiki.wikispaces.com/

hope it helps
liamb
If you can't find resources, feel free to use my wikispace

http://liambellamywiki.wikispaces.com/

hope it helps

Can I just say, as someone who did their A-levels woefully long ago, that your posts are really helpful? :smile:
Reply 15
liamb
As someone who works for the dark side, I can tell you the examiners' reports are merely an overview of the team leader after the marking has been done. The most interesting bits are what they say went wrong - do pay attention to those comments.
The mark scheme represents what the team leader thinks will be the most common approach to the question, but this is only after he/she has checked a few scripts. It then forms the basis for discussion for the whole marking team and there may well be extra points raised or changed. It is a guide and other approaches are valid and often appear. As long as a marker is consistent and knowledgable they are allowed a fair degree of latitude. So if you chose an unusual angle, but covered the question topic and showed good knowledge etc. I'm going to reward you.:smile: However, if you turn in a load of doggy doo saying its radical (and the bottom grade answers have to be seen to be believed:eek: ) I won't be a happy bunny:mad:
So in a nutshell, do read the guides but remember they are just that and that's how we use them.:biggrin:
Finally, the Edexcel philosophy is to mark positively. I like - I reward :biggrin:

In your experience as a marker, would you say you tend to give more credit for better structured answers even if they perhaps lack the knowledge of a tangled, less succinct answer?
Reply 16
On a Unit 4 or 5 60 point essay, I can award up to 10 marks for good clear writing. So yes it is a factor. Also if you wrote well, i can identify your main arguments quickly, so that will affect positively your other marks. Great factual answers that are a mess are going to suffer in the 10 mark category as I've had to really work to find the gold nuggets. you'll still do well, but at university and in real life, your readers are going to get less forgiving. Clarity and good writing are well worth acquiring.
Liam
Reply 17
Thank-you, I really appreciate your comments. I'll try and make my points clearer in time for my exams this summer. Thanks yet again.
Reply 18
Examiners really appriecate that. It is a pleasure to read good clear answers and feel that the candidate deserves their good mark.
Reply 19
can someone help me

' EVALUATE THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF EU ENLARGMENT SINCE 2004''

can some1 help me, what to write in the context paragraph, intro. and main points. i dont have clear notes and this essay is in for monday.
IM STUCCKKKK

Latest

Trending

Trending