The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
rottcodd
If you actually take the time to explore the link that he provided, you will see that Leeds Met offer an MA In English Literature (twentieth centuryt lit pathway) which seems to be flexible with its entry criteria. Likewise, London Met specifically accept a 2.2. And that's just from me looking at the first few pages (of eleven). There are also a few I saw that say 'good honours', so could potentially be more flexible with it.
I have been on that website before and discounted a few unis, London Met being one of them for it's shockingly bad reputation etc. I've also looked into Leeds Met too, so I think you shouldn't be so presumptuous by saying 'if you actually take time to explore'. With regards to your later post, what I meant was him saying the first 5 option on the list were suitable, when not one of them was an MA in English Literature. The website in general is very helpful though.
Reply 21
I have been on that website before and discounted a few unis, London Met being one of them for it's shockingly bad reputation etc. I've also looked into Leeds Met too, so I think you shouldn't be so presumptuous by saying 'if you actually take time to explore'.

How are we supposed to have known that you had disregarded uni's which have a 'shockingly bad reputation'? You said that there weren't any on that list, so I naturally suggested that you haven't explored it properly, because there certainly were courses on that list that were applicable to you. I didn't know that you had decided to rule out unis with 'shockingly bad reputations' because you didn't tell me that. I'm not psychic.

To be honest, you're going to have a hard time finding a fantastic university that is going to accept your 2.2.

With regards to your later post, what I meant was him saying the first 5 option on the list were suitable, when not one of them was an MA in English Literature. The website in general is very helpful though.

There's a research masters in English Literature in the first result for Bath Spa. Likewise, an MA in Modern and Contemporary Poetry comes up in the second result, for Birkbeck. I mentioned in an earlier post that a lot of MA's in literature have a specific pathway, so naturally you are going to have to weed them out from the list to find the general ones. Nobody knows your exact requirements for what degree you want, only you do. You came on here asking for help in finding places which might accept you with a 2.2. I gave you advice on how to maybe work your application to get around your 2.2, and boosh gave you a link which can provide a list of courses offering MA's in English Literature (and related disciplines) which you can look through yourself to find the ones that accept 2.2.'s.

I think you also need to accept that the place that rejected you clearly rejected you because there was something wrong with your application (and the fact that you got a 2.2 was probably a large contributing factor to this). Thinking they just threw away your application without even considering it is just wishful thinking - you need to accept that your application was obviously looked at and they decided it wasn't good enough. Entry into an MA course isn't automatic.
Reply 22
Where did you apply?
Reply 23
How are we supposed to have known that you had disregarded uni's which have a 'shockingly bad reputation'? You said that there weren't any on that list, so I naturally suggested that you haven't explored it properly, because there certainly were courses on that list that were applicable to you. I didn't know that you had decided to rule out unis with 'shockingly bad reputations' because you didn't tell me that. I'm not psychic.
You weren't to know, thats why I was saying just then. By list I meant the first five entries (as he said he found some in the first five entries).

There's a research masters in English Literature in the first result for Bath Spa. Likewise, an MA in Modern and Contemporary Poetry comes up in the second result, for Birkbeck. I mentioned in an earlier post that a lot of MA's in literature have a specific pathway, so naturally you are going to have to weed them out from the list to find the general ones. Nobody knows your exact requirements for what degree you want, only you do. You came on here asking for help in finding places which might accept you with a 2.2. I gave you advice on how to maybe work your application to get around your 2.2, and boosh gave you a link which can provide a list of courses offering MA's in English Literature (and related disciplines) which you can look through yourself to find the ones that accept 2.2.'s.
I can't remeber if I put it in my original post, but I want to do a taught, not a research Masters. I don't want to do a specific Masters though, thats the point. I want to do an MA in English Literature, not an MA in this that and the other thats related to English.

I think you also need to accept that the place that rejected you clearly rejected you because there was something wrong with your application (and the fact that you got a 2.2 was probably a large contributing factor to this). Thinking they just threw away your application without even considering it is just wishful thinking - you need to accept that your application was obviously looked at and they decided it wasn't good enough. Entry into an MA course isn't automatic.
Firstly, I don't think this is any of your business. I didn't get onto the course so i'm looking at other options. So how is this not accepting? It isn't as if i'm begging them to take me. You have no clue why they rejected me, only I do as they told me. So you should be less presumptuous about that. Of course it isn't automatic, i'm not stupid. I think you think you know everything there is to know about applications. I was simply asking advise in my first post, and when I discounted that for whatever reason there was uproar. People on here get way to into the threads. I'm asking for this to be closed as it's pointless going on and on with well you said this and he said that bull****.
thanks for the support, rottcodd.

kittennffc - next time you give me a rep at least put your name on it.
Reply 25
The Boosh
thanks for the support, rottcodd.

kittennffc - next time you give me a rep at least put your name on it.
Why? You knew it was from me. As if it even matters any way! It's a stupid internet forum, it isn't real life!
clearly it does matter given your attitude and repping of me.
Reply 27
The Boosh
clearly it does matter given your attitude and repping of me.
Nope, not to me it doesn't. You're the one mouthing off because I gave you negative rep.
i can't be bothered with your immaturity. i'll leave this argument now and simply feel smug at my 2.1. in english. enjoy your course search, miss 2.2.

Latest

Trending

Trending